Acer Delays Predator X27 4k HDR GSync monitor to next year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Well... if Asus beats them to the punch with the PG27UQ, Acer will miss out on a lot of sales. Or perhaps it is their tactic to wait and see what Asus prices their monitor at, then undercut them by 100 bucks.

3. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    As much as I love to change my monitor but that comes at great cost .. GPUs still do not offer great gameplay with 4K ...I need to wait a bit .

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No it's not.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This. Too small. 1440p is perfect for 27inch.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Do you people not understand what display scaling is?

With good display scaling and games that properly scale UI with resolution, 4k will look a million times better than 1440P..

Pixel density ftw.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not with good display scaling.

OSX is the only OS that has excellent scaling with high res screens.

Windows still sucks at it.

8. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    You probably having some Windows XP or 7. You better go with Windows 10 that has good scaling.

9. zehoo

zehoo Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Probably holding out for Volta launch or Nvidia has pushed back the release of the gsync module that will support it.

10. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Would rather have 2560x1440 at just 27". 4k means low FPS in most titles and the screen will look like trash outside native res. i just went back from 100hz gsync to 144hz no sync, and 144hz is better, to many side effects from gsync, scanlines etc. and i see no tearing just like when i used gsync.

11. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    Both Acer and Asus have been surprisingly silent about these monitors other than showing them off at tech shows.. I expect Asus to follow Acer and delay the PG27UQ.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's probably AU Optronics. The PG287Q was delayed for over a year when it came out. They probably turned this thing on and it displayed white, they thought the colors were inverted but it was just back light bleed.

I had to go through so many PG278's and XB270s before I got one without bleed that I lost count.

13. GameLord

GameLord Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 G1 / 4 GB
    Why not 32" or 34", would buy it even at high prices replacing my TV.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    my next monitor? if it not priced to give one heart attack

too you and others maybe, it come down to ones preference UI and text looking to small is not fault of monitor its a fault with fact alot thing dont scale correct, nor is the scaling universal.

This arguement is like say 4k is wasted on anything smaller then 50" like some people say, I say 4K 40" looks better then 4k 50" bigger the screen less PPI and more PPI always looks better.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So now I have a year to save up the $10,000 it will cost and whatever else I need for 4 Titan XPs to power that thing. Maybe I should buy a car instead...

I can't imagine what can hold 144 fps with good settings in modern games at 4K. It's not like we get a good GPU performance increase every year.

16. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    99% chance i won't have the budget for it anyways, is there any gsync 1440p hdr monitor released yet?

17. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Even if you get one without bleed they glow brighter than overkill Christmas decorations.

18. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    People who say 27inch is too small for 4k are a little crazy... now there are 5 inch phones with 4k but noo... 27 is too small?.. I have a 28inch 4k monitor and i love how detailed games are, the UI scales very well and looks great, going to 1440p feels horrible once you're used to a 4k ppi.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    rofl.

20. neonspark

neonspark Guest

GPU:
    nvidia 6gb
    why so salty? Win10 has equivalent scaling to OSX specially in the later updates. This was specially true after surface devices starting pushing PPI resolutions nearing 300 pixels per inch. It is very true older versions that were released when 1080p was the norm didn't do a good job, but after the 2-1 revolution of tablet+laptop that Microsoft popularized, the software changed to the needs of the market.

Now there are some things that OSX does equally lousily as does linux in respect to display scaling: all raster resources such as bitmaps and other graphics need to be updated by the app author. OSX suffers from the same awful graphics softness windows does when you scale up an image for displaying it at a higher ppi that was intended. The image looks soft because there is no additional data in between pixels, and algorithms can only do so much.

So to achieve the best scaling performance:
    1) the OS must support it. They all do.
    2) the app author must include high resolution resources for rasterized graphics or go vector
    3) you must off course setup your display scaling.

Which goes back to the point, is 4K and 27inches pointless. Off course not. It is if you leave display scaling at 1:1. But I'm typing this on a 267ppi WINDOWS pc and display scaling works perfectly. Welcome to 2015 folks! Better be informed or better yet, try something before you comment on stuff you clearly haven't used and are not prepared to evaluate.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017