Rumor: Radeon RX Vega cards Look to be Insanely good crypto-currency miners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Mining is most probably the only thing that they can be used for, but with so high TDP the cost of electricity will ruin all the value AMD cards have. Since they can't really compete with Nvidia, they chose to make the mining cards to make some profits :)

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Screw miners. Massive financial pyramid. Cant wait for it to crumble.

4. Cbotha15

Cbotha15 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Why don't the retailers just cap the amount of cards per buyer to like 5 units.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Because they like making money.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand just like that there goes any gamers chance of buying one at launch xD

7. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    "AMD - mining evolved". This is bad news tbh. I just switched to r5 1600x and it is amazing. Was looking towards maybe getting an amd gpu in a few months or so. But if this rumour is true then i'll stick with what i have at the moment.

8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    if those indeed can pull hash rates up to 100 480 was pulling what ?24~28 ? the cards are nowhere close to 4 times the consumption of 480/580 so mining efficiency wise the cards will be crazy good ...sadly :( assuming that this is true always

so you get the consumption of roughly 2x580 but the hash rate of 3 or 4 of em give or take

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  9. LiV3WiR3

LiV3WiR3 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX Titan Quantum
    I'm a crypto trader(not a miner), and chances are that Crypto bear market is gonna start very soon, so you guys don't have to worry regarding GPU availability for much longer. This bubble will pop soon.

10. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    With all the talk on the Internet of Vega being DOA, given how well AMD have done from the etherium craze so far, and how Hawaii was king of bitcoin mining. I'm actually surprised that they're not pitching Vega to miners in some shape or form.

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I had to buy a RX560 because there is no RX570 at MSRP for more than 2 months in Portugal. Vega is out of my reach (money wise) but I'll feel sorry for all those cards going into the wrong place.

I'm offering 100€ for a used RX570 right now, they get pissed as **** and I have some good laughs.

Same, waiting to buy a dirt cheap RX570 :banana:

Because MONEY!
    ****ing greedy bastards I tell ya! Here they kept selling all the stock to just one guy till end of July. Now that the retail prices have spiked, there's some stock. But the price is sometimes double! I've seen RX580 going above 500€, even more expensive than 1070!

Surprised you didn't sell yours for $400/500 and bought a 1070.

Vega isn't an upgrade for someone with a 1070, wait for Navi or next Nvidia. Just my opinion.

There was sort of a crash a couple weeks back and then gone up again...I lost hope and bough my RX560.

Because of the peripherals ecosystem.
    AMD hopes gamers buy Freesync monitors too.
    Also, many people just upgrade their system, others build hole new systems. And in 2017, apart from specific cases, Ryzen is the king of price/performance and one CPU do all jobs computer.

12. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Oh joy, well AMD know it will make them sell well, so I doubt they care if people who actually use them for gaming find them hard to find.

13. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Don't know if this helps but I was talking to a friend who works in a factory that supplies parts for the Vega. He says they are putting out crazy amount of cards this release compared to last. Just my 2 cents.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Whatever it is, it's VERY good news for AMD.
    They can sell as many cards as they can make.
    With Ryzen and Threadripper probably doing well, its going to fill their bank account somewhat.

15. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I heard that too. Is why the release was pushed back a little to build stock.

16. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    If the rumour is true (was said in a front page post on guru3d) and the vega 56 is 20% above 1070. Then the vega 64 is 30 or more above it. So yes, it is an upgrade IF THE RUMOUR IS TRUE.

17. Must suck to be a gamer that's been waiting forever for Vega right now, coz now its gunna launch and you still won't find one for months longer and retailers will have a field day with inflating the price. While this might be great for AMD, gamers are gunna pay, and pay a lot.

18. This ones interesting. the rumour is that Vega 56 is 20% faster than 1070, but the leak was only showing a couple of games. Bf1, Doom and maybe one other? can't quite remember right now.

What i'd like to know is, is Vega 56 20% faster than a 1070 when tested with a full suite of the most popular games rather than cherry picked games which are known to be a strength on amd?...This remains to be seen.

19. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    All gamers always complain about amd being bad in games, to much tdp, to slow, drivers not optimized... Do not complain, go buy NVidia. Leave Amd for miners. Why you complain over higher prices of product what you always complain, do not tell me that you want buy cards what you always despise.

20. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    If (and that's a big one) this is true then my dream of selling my RX580 for a Vega 56 is out the door. Looks like us gamers have to look at team green only for gaming.