Coffee Lake Not Supported by Intel’s 200-Series Motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by dean469, Aug 3, 2017.

1. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Coffee Lake Not Supported by Intel’s 200-Series Motherboards

Don't know if it's ok to do this but http://www.anandtech.com/show/11687/coffee-lake-not-supported-by-intels-200series-motherboards

In a stunning bit of Twitter, the ASRock Twitter feed @ASRockInfo has stated that Coffee Lake, Intel’s 8th Generation Core processors, will not be supported on the current generation of 200-series motherboards.

No***65292;Coffee Lake CPU is not compatibilble with 200 series motherboards.
    — ASRock (@ASRockInfo) July 31, 2017

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/co...t-be-compatible-with-series-200-chipsets.html

2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I hope Intel will have come to their senses when I upgrade in 2022, but the odds are against them.

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Why do Intel go through so many socket changes?

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    And here I was seriously considering selling my Skylake i5 and switching to the 6-core i5. I have no idea why I thought Intel would allow three CPU generations to be used with a single chipset, the socket compatibility aside. History certainly doesn't support such foolishly optimistic notions. Sure, rumours have been repeating that possibility for a long time, but as we all know by now, after Hilbert has said it quite a few times, Intel couldn't care less about press or tech sites anymore, so nothing concerning Intel is official (trustworthy) information before the news site managers (and everybody else) can actually read the stuff from Intel's own web site.

5. waxbytes

waxbytes Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    mo' money

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Part of massive scheme. Not only they bribe, but I am also certain to boost sales of Mobo's for every new Intel processor.

DISGUSTING. :bugeye: To be Honest, I thought that now that AMD has given them hell on all fronts Intel will stop this disgusting practice and use the same socket all the way for couple next years. However no, they are still doing the same mistakes.

Well better for AMD. My next build for myself will be Ryzen, question is when as i'm waiting for Ryzen Pro and Ryzen 2, want to see what will happen with those. Recently I've made Ryzen 1800x workstation at my work, and have to say its fantastic for its price.

Go AMD.

7. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    In this case it's not a socket change but a chipset change :)
    Why... all about the money ofc.

8. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    They called Wallet/ripper for a reason...

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Haha, Walletripper, gotta remember that one :)

10. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Because they can...

11. mnemo05

mnemo05 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 980Ti AMP! OC
    ah this.. if only ryzen came out a month earlier i would be rocking a 1800x now, but alas my itchy fingers pulled the trigger on a 7700k..

i wish for AMD's success although I have not used one since the Sempron days :D

12. vinnym1980

vinnym1980 Guest

Why are people moaning about them changing socket so often, there is no need to upgrade that often anyway. Even brand new games recommend a core i7 3770 and thats over 5 years old. There are other things than gaming obviously but id say i'd upgrade a processor every 4 years and GPU every 18 months.

13. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I'm fairly certain that the number of pins and the name of the socket is going to stay the same, they're just gonna move the notches on the socket because reasons...

14. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yes,good one.

They are one of the WalletRipper of the tech industry. :)

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Recommended hardware for games is usually a big BS.

This is gold, accurate $hintel description for the past 10 years.

You guys expected the same socket? ahahah :banana:

Wouldn't it be easy to give the motherboard another 50 or 100 more pins and arrange the CPU's so they would work (but with new features disabled perhaps) allowing for at least 3 generations upgrades? Ya, but $hintel needs your money!

Sincerely looking for a used i7 3770 and waiting for Ryzen 2. The cost of a new system isn't worth for me now.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, I too am baffled that people are expecting the same socket to be around longer than one generation. Whenever I bought a new intel rig I was always aware of needing a new mainboard, most of the time you at least got some new features like PCIe 3.0, USB3.0 or something similar out of it.

There have been exceptions of the rule (Haswell - Broadwell for instance), but that's simply because Broadwell was merely an updated Haswell chip.

17. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    If there are no other technical reasons besides that intel doesn't *want* these CPUs to run on 200 (or dare I say it, 100) series chipsets, then maybe some company can come up with an adapter module or something, like in the olden days.

18. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    there wont adapter
    not sure if there technical level difficulty, such each socket pin work different etc.
    but basically intel support mobo maker to produce new mobo, which is give good sales for mobo maker... mobo maker happy = good relation/promotion

some people might think, people will keep buying the old mobo with upgrade
    but that means people that already have, for example 200-series wont change their mobo with coffee lake

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm not defending this move however. How many people upgrade their PC core components more often than 4 years? Honestly I would want a new Motherboard by then. Granted som on SKL and KBL would like 6:12 but really it would have been a small number. I have had my Sandybridge for what almost 8 years now. No way would I want or expect the motherboard and RAM to be compatible with new tech.

20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    X299 was a huge mess. It's better for Coffee Lake processors to not fit on those motherboards imo.