Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX OC 11 Gbps

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the new ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX OC, it has been fitted with the latest (and faster) 11 Gbps memory. This card is custom cooled and tweaked with super fast memory. Let's check out the ne...

Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX OC 11 Gbps

2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Are there any direct comparisons to a 1080 STRIX with the "old" memory? Its hard to tell how much of the difference to a stock 1080 is from it just being a Strix OC with higher clocks, or the new memory.

3. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    How is 8GB of VRAM noaways with 4K monitors? Is overkill or the contrary?

I have a 1080 with a 4k G-Sync monitor and wanted to know if 8GB could be a bottleneck in some games.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Shouldn't be as current consoles and the new one X all have 8GB or less available for graphics.

5. xlau

xlau Guest

GPU:
    4 GB
    thanks for sharing this review.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I would say 8GB is a healthy amount for 4K; definitely not overkill. On a 4GB GPU, it isn't hard to run out of memory on 2K, sometimes even 1080p depending on the game.

Not a completely relevant point. Consoles are [supposed to be] more fine-tuned for their hardware and can handle data more efficiently. This is why PCs need more powerful hardware to render the same thing. Though, this is becoming less true than it used to be. Back before the current-gen consoles, games were a lot more refined than they are today, because they needed to be.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Completely relevant as current consoles are x86 and the Xbox uses DX12. Back in the 360 and PS3 they were not even getting close to 1080p the new Xbox is tackling native 4k. They are claiming 4k textures as well. 8 GB for now is enough for 4k on PC. However is 8Tflops enough?

8. Nima V

Nima V Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 2GB
    I have a Strix 1080ti and it's cooling capability is incredible. at full load it wont reach 60c while being so silent that I can't even hear it over my case fans. this card made me a fan of Asus from now on.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    In regards to the pre-OC temperatures, why does the fan run at 37% speed when the max recorded GPU temp was 58C? I understand the OC pushing the GPU past 60C, thus requiring the fans to come on, but I play several less demanding games (Divinity, C&C, Emulators) at 1620MHz core clock and my GPU fans never need to spin up. Just curious.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    page 38

under 3DMark: Time Spy Tweaking
    8665 score, says Gigabyte Aorus. Should be Asus Strix

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah, thanks for noting that. Fixed.