GeForce 385.12 driver download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    This seemed so opportunistic, blocking functions to later make available as if it "were love and respect our consumers."

"You see, we unlocked things that we had blocked to profit more from lack of competition"

Hopefully AMD comes back with everything, I want to have a chance to boycott a company that inflates the market values artificially for lack of competition.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's a beta driver, not a "game ready" driver?

4. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    I wonder where we could be, if it wasn't for the money...

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    AMD does the exact same thing:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Y/W/382280/original/01-AutoCAD-2013-3D-04-Rotate-Realistic.png

W9000 and 7970GE are the exact same card. The optimizations are entirely in application profiles.

AMD allows the FE to switch - Nvidia had to counter, they already have the card on the market, it only undercuts their own Quadro sales (Less people are going to pay $5000 for ECC and a certification).

I don't see the issue.

6. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    so is MS that force the nvidia/amd not to release their card drivers for win8,8.1.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What?
    Kind of out of the blue post with no supporting information.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    These drivers are available for Windows 8/8.1.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nvidia artificially segmented it's product lines between Geforce and Quadro by keeping the Quadro application performance profiles out of the Geforce drivers. He's upset that Nvidia is now deciding to enable these optimizations on the Titan because it's convenient for them.

Like over on the nvidia subreddit people are making this out like Nvidia magically just optimized 100+% performance in some applications via driver voodoo. This performance has always been there on Quadro cards, it's merely getting unlocked on Titan because AMD did the same thing with Vega FE.

I guess an analogy would be if like Chevy shipped every variant of the Camaro with the same engine and just locked the performance via software. Then suddenly a Mustang came out that was better than the Chevy LS model and Chevy goes "let's just unlock the performance on our base to compete". It pisses off Chevy LS owners because the performance was always there, just locked behind a switch. It pisses off the Chevy ZL1 owners because now the cheaper LS is performing nearly identically to their expensive ZL1.

My point is, in this analogy, Ford does the same thing, so him saying "
    Hopefully AMD comes back with everything, I want to have a chance to boycott a company that inflates the market values artificially for lack of competition." is kind of pointless when they also artificially segmented their market.

10. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    oh sorry my bad...

11. WalterDasTrevas

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Exactly, you have correctly interpreted my opinion.

I've been using NVIDIA for some time, I do not know what AMD's practices are in the last few years, but whether NVIDIA or AMD uses such strategies, to me, it's just consumer disrespect.

Is Profit Necessary? Of course, we live in a capitalist world, but that does not mean that I must say amen for all the opportunism of "popular brands."

Is it a common practice? Yes. Is it fair? Not at all.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks, well stated.

13. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    control panel is not starting. tried to disable/enable nvidia service, or start the exe from program files, nothing work.
    Back to driver 384.94 WHQL.

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Both Intel and Nvidia have had virtual monopolies for a while now. They are both pulling crap to artificially handicap products instead of putting out the best thing they can make because it makes them more money. Intel with the lame PCIE kneecapping or thermal paste vs solder.

Real competition will make all this go away. I'm no fanboy but hope the best for AMD in CPU's and GPU's. Not because they are some saints or savors, but because real competition is what keeps companies honest.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @WalterDasTrevas
    blaming a company for not having any competitor that is capable of delivering a comparable product? right.

if "your" company would make certain product, you would lower its price or give it away, just because there is no on else on the planet? lol.

no one gets forced to buy things or certain products/brands etc.
    do or don't.

especially since anything beyond a (basic) computer to access internet/email/write documents etc is WANT, not NEED.

16. WalterDasTrevas

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    I'm not blaming the company for not having competition, I'm blaming the company for this: "Well, we do not have competition, so instead of charging fair prices, compatible with the power of consumption of most people, let's create an environment Artificially elitist because we do not want to offer quality products at fair prices, we want to exploit consumers to the last drop of blood."

If for you this is an example of respect for consumers, be happy, but do not advocate an artificially inflated cost, do not try to convince me of your ideological beliefs, and I will do the same.

I honestly believe that if a company holds the absolute majority of the market, profit is right and it would not be necessary to elitize their products.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  17. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    So you think Vega FE is charging fair prices?

18. WalterDasTrevas

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    I think the damage has already been done and all consumers have lost, the only ones happy with the prices, are the ones that rip money, and the corporations.

* The values are already out of the reality, only the competition in the medium and long term can end with this inflationary practice based on conformism of the "faithful to the brand".

My hope is just one: AMD comes in with everything and forces NVIDIA to cut prices, or offer something legitimately revolutionary, because the only revolution they were able to offer was an out-of-reality inflation over the past 4 or 5 years.

I have a GTX970, and my previous GPU was a GTX680.

My previous CPU was an i7 3770. I now have an i7 6700.

If you expected me to be an AMD fanboy, you missed.
    I just do not blindly advocate brands that do not put food in my refrigerator.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    There is a clear difference between the needs of a gamer and a professional. Why should I have to pay more for my Geforce when I don't need or use any of those professional apps? I don't need certification for my card. Nothing I do is "mission critical" or business related with this PC. I will pay consumer prices for my card and use it as a gamer.

There is always a premium to be paid when it comes to professional use. It's no different to banks where we have current accounts and business accounts, ofcourse, the business account holder is going to pay extra for the privileges that a business account gives. Why would anyone expect any different?

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Inflation? The performance has increased massively over the years. The 8800 Ultra released at ~$800. What were you saying about inflation?