Modern Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Echelon, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I wouldn't say FC2 was disgusting but forcing AF and AA can only do so much.

MSAA only worked well when games were more basic, and it stopped working to totally eliminate aliasing years before FC2 was released.
    Crysis is a big name example, these days i need to run the game at 4k DSR to get rid of aliasing, and that tanks performance.

Letting nostalgia get in the way is something i understand when it comes to gameplay, but not graphics.
    I also wasn't aware that checkerboarding was being used in PC games, tbh that is an option that i would actually like to see added.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    im playing games ( PC only ) around 2 decades. the first Half-Life, first
    Unreal Tournament, first Diablo and Heroes II were among my all time
    favorites games that really pulled me into this world. there are some
    hidden gems like Clive Barker's Undying, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire Bloodlines
    that were also filled with atmosphere.

im not sure i agree with the statement that modern games lack atmosphere.
    i guess when you are younger the experience of playing an amazing single player is a bit different.

also i can think of tons of games that were AMAZING over the past decade
    examples : Mass Effect series ( not the last game ), Dead Space series,
    Bioshock series, Witcher series, Dishonored series, Skyrim, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, Dying Light, Dead Island, Medal of Honor Allied Assualt,
    State of Decay, Deus Ex HR + MD, Prey ( very atmospheric, playing it ATM ),
    Alien Isolation and many more.. the list is too damn long.

Max Payne 1 + 2 were also simply ****ing amazing single players.

some years are a bit more dry when it comes to quality single players,
    but there will always be talented developers and quality games to play.

3. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I remember when i got Starfox for my SNES. Those were the days when games felt special. WipeOut, MGS, Jumping Flash 2, there were so many games that just seemed special. Now theres tons of games but far fewer feel special and since theyre constantly updating, they cant remain classic. They get like TV shows with new content that sucks after a while. RIFT is my example of that.

Then theres the games that are years in "early access" like ARK.

Its weird to think that TF2 is a decade old and that i remember when the N64 was going to be released as the Ultra64 lol.

Back when i was a kid i pretty much played because i was bored. Now videogames are less about the game and more about a shared social thing with people from around the world for me.

4. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    They could still do proper msaa like they do in forza horizon games for consoles or amd did on some demo through some specific techniques. IQ is not what it used to be. Crysis couldn´t even do af16x without hurting performance, it wasn´t a very optimized game and they admitted that they were just throwing stuff at it.

Ps.- And what about the hitching, stuttering, framepacing issues on this generation...worst ever, even consoles are plagued. Although I think that´s because of x86 opening the doors to average programmers, and maybe patching?, yeah will fix later. Have you seen the jittering of projectars 2 on ps4/pc?, horrible I would understand if they were learning a new engine, but no :3eyes:

5. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Been gaming for 25 years.....we got to live out the changes that happened in gaming in real-time.

It was quite a big deal to me going from Duke Nukem 3d to Quake, where you could actually see enemies rendered from any angle, not just 2d sprites. Going from software rendering to 3dfx, going from PC speaker to Sound Blaster. Games that had nothing but looking for keycards moving into Half-Life's story-based game play and interesting AI. Upgrading your character, modifying weapons, and researching alien parts in System Shock 2 and Deus Ex's crazy combination of setting, story, and RPG style customization.

Half-Life 2 was the last game I remember thinking "whoa" after seeing the physics tech demo......and that was 13 years ago. I guess I was pretty impressed when BF3 came out too. Crysis came out almost 10 years ago and it looked good at the time. Half-Life came out 10 years before that; there is no comparison between the two. But now, almost 10 years after Crysis and I would have expected more in terms of graphics.

I bought the latest Hitman series on the Steam sale. Boring. I used to play Hitman all the time. Codename 47 was so quirky and it was one of my favorite games....but this one is lame, although the graphics are great. The weapon sounds are bad, the voice acting is bad (everyone is American?), it's just boring....it's like they don't even want you to shoot anyone or get into gunfights (awful camera positioning as well). The same stuff in every mission. Targets always standing under light fixtures, food/drinks that can be poisoned, overflowing sinks, AI easily exploitable.....how many times are you going to be fooled by me walking into a room then throwing a coin?

If you are 20 years old, you have no idea what I am talking about, you were 10 when COD4 came out. You are already accustomed to seeing very little change in gaming when compared to what older people have seen. I am 30 and I have the same expectations as what I had witnessed growing up. These expectations are no longer realistic. The ideas just are not there.

Not a whole lot of interesting innovation in terms of gameplay in the last 10 years. I don't know what games you would use as examples to debate that.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes! Having a 3D accelerated game run for the first time was magical compared to software graphics.
    Similarly getting a sound card and having those blips and blops replaced with ultimate MIDI sounds was just extreme :p

I still remember playing Lemmings with a Sound Blaster card and being in awe, lols!

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    And think, Quake and DN3D released with about five months of each other.
    DN3D was not top end visually when it released. What made it memorable was the character and personality of the game.

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It depends, some titles really shine with an open world, others just feel as if it was tacked on just to check a box for marketing.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Linear games can be fun, but nowadays I'm cheap so won't pay more than £10 for one.
    I also like the more "relaxed" atmosphere of an open world game.

It's not like there is any right or wrong, people like what they like.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There are open world games I really enjoy. But, more often then not... I find myself completely ignoring the "open world" part of it, and just hammering through the story missions.
    Very, very few ever get me to really continue to explore, partake in side activities and just enjoy the world up until the end.

Personally, I would rather have... titles like DisHonored 1 and 2, or something with a HUB base setup like Wolfenstein 2009 or RAGE. Linear games, but with little amounts of freedom to allow you to explore.
    But not so bloated with pointless crap that it gets in the way of the game and story.

11. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    One more interesting thing would be:

Old games had sprites, that actually was incredibly well made. For example pharaon game.. Its impossible to recreate exact replica with any 3D engine because each building would have so many polygons.. And the sky,sun, lightning would create incredibly bad many shadows that would make look game just look pure ugly.

12. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD

I am not sure about that last sentence.
    To me, the AI in games today and the enemy intelligence is no where close to what it was in games of yesteryear.

I mean the dodging and avoidance factor in older titles is way way better than the linear just rush at enemy shoot them dead approach in today's titles.

FFS, I can finish today's games in 6-8hrs whereas older games take much much longer.

:infinity:

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ive been thinking about this for a while and I'm going to have to agree, AI these days are programed to convincingly lose.... if that makes sense?

14. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Thats the goal. Making something that can wreck you is very easy and doesn't require skill.
    Games weren't better, AI's weren't better. They were made to suck your coins. We're over that design phase.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Coins?

I started gaming on the Nes.. then all Nintendo systems up until the Gamecube, then PlayStation.. then built my first PC.

Or do you mean like in a video game parlor?

Or is this a very strange Sonic The Hedgehog Joke...

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'll say this. Modern PC gaming blows. It's dull, it's broken 3rd party ports and it's all hype on hardware people go ape sh*t for that never gets fully utilized.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While I think modern PC gaming is better than ever, and that's even with my grumpy old man standards.

18. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    They were coin suckers but still most were beatable through strategies, patterns, practice, skills... that can´t be easier than making a shooter where every enemy walks straight into your crosshair... you guys have watched eurogamer´s gameplay of the next wolfenstein, it´s just sad.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't think I'm "cynical" enough to be a part of the PC gaming crowd these days.
    I mean, I will keep playing games on my PC. That's how I've always done it, that's how I like it... that's how I'll keep doing it.

It just seems I'm not negative enough to fit in with the crowd. But, this idea that modern gaming sucks and the 90s (or whenever) was some golden age... is a bit silly.
    There were great games then, and are great games now. There were crap games then... and there are crap games now. Poorly made games then, poorly made ones now.

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i agree totally that's the main difference, the media now can affect your judgment giving you a reason not to like or to like a game, before when there was no internet and media coverage and video trailers u couldn t get any expectations, u just play the game and enjoy.