Hardware not supported by manufacturer may be ineligible for future Win 10 updates

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Watcher, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Urls with details:

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/07/18/microsoft_cuts_off_windows_10_support_early_for_some_pcs

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/0...at_windows_10_will_cut_off_devices_older_cpus

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3209...-10-will-cut-off-devices-with-older-cpus.html

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-blocks-windows-10-creators-update-on-some-pcs/

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Sooo if my motherboard goes EOL (which i'm sure it already has) i have to spend 600 Bucks on a new Mobo, RAM and CPU to keep my OS updated?

I now see the benfits of being a Console Peasant.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    All the blowback will be based in that they have changed policy on old hardware support. Unfortunately the whole argument against Apple needing one to upgrade hardware to get the next iteration is being abandoned. Can't beet 'm, join 'm.

How many people complain that they need to upgrade their phone to get the next version of Android? Ios? What is so different from a pc perspective. The hardware does not all of a sudden stop functioning because the os version no longer adds in new functionality and/or newer hardware support. W7 does not natively handle usb. Situations like that will never occur going forward. Getting that functionality going forward may carry a prerequisite to upgrade base hardware as well. Intel forces one to upgrade mainboards to use their new cpus...where is all the fire and brimstone for that? This is just the new course going forward. How often this new course will be bumped up against has yet to be seen.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    MS has make people change there hw to make more money off there already expensive OS

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Eh? Did you read the article or any of them on other sites? The blame is with Intel and their budget Atom chips which are EOL, not Microsoft.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    last i check MS is the one that has to put those changes into the OS, Intel might be the cause but MS approved it and went head with it, which for them is great means more people or forced to buy new hw and new os license especial if it was working with previous build of win 10 but no longer does.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    ^ That is exactly the essence of the old argument why one should have a pc vs mac. No longer the case it seems. This is exactly the same play Apple has made for over a decade. Change just invites complaints. I for one am looking forward to this new approach. Means the possibility of the os having less of a foot print. All those old drivers...why are they necessary luggage? Nothing but wasted space on newer builds. Look how long it took ISA connectors to be eliminated off motherboards. Why on earth does the OS need to carry compatibility for IDE drives? Just because it can?

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Its also why we dont have a true all NEW OS built from the ground up it always been built upon, cause legacy support of old hardware, is it ****ty sure, do company profit from such things yep, but do you really want an OS 10 years from now, running at half is potential on newer hw cause the OS is based off old tech and legacy ?

I sure dont, but that is me, I think this why proper multi thread support is still questionable

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017