AMD Halts Support for Windows 8.1 with Consumer Radeon drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    interesting so AMD jumping on the Windows 10 only bandwaggon, times for the fire and pitch fork mobs to get they there rage on? One thing to drop support of legacy hw but of OS that is not eol?

IMO the faster windows 10 becomes the only OS supported the better, which means DX12 support should take off faster and be properly used too.

but dont see this really happening

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I just feel sorry for the people that don't know how to get Win10 nice and light with bloat and spyware removed and reverted back to Win7 Style.

I basically have Win7 with the bonus of DX12.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    stubbornness is in everone, and the spying MS is doing in Win10 is no different then what happen in win7/8 at this point and no different then the spying happen on smart phone which I think is worse, seeing governments and other agency can easily track your location and everything in and out of said smart phones. yet you dont really hear people complain about that. Privacy is a illusion at this point if you are always connect to the internet or have smart phone it as simple as that.

people need to let it go and just used there devices and be happy.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    So much salt in this thread!

I understand people's scepticism about Windows 10 and generally it's true for the general user, but come on, we're Gurus here, we know what we're doing, we know how to stop lock down and secure the OS and the truth is, it's been going on since Xp has the telemetry. (Remember the crash dialogue that pops up in XP asking to send an error report? That's just one example). If anything, With Windows 10, Microsoft have been more open about what data gets sent which means it gets more attention which means more people know about it (instead of some tiny small print in a massive EULA that no one reads).

If you're really that paranoid about someone spying on you, unplug that ethernet cable...

5. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Dx12 has been out for how long now ? I havent seen one instance were it beat DX11.

6. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    I dont think its salt for windows 10. I think its cutting of the drivers for 8.1. I have a copy right now of windows 10 but choose to run 8.1 because it runs some of my games better. This was after rigorous testing. I am upset because this has been a trend just look at the new 1151 and AM4. Windows 8.1 still have till the end of 2018 of full support if im not mistaken and more people are on 7 than any other. This strong arming is not going to stop :bang:

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    DX12 beats DX11 in every single instance on AMD hardware, have you been in a coma or something?

AMD have limited resources and their hardware works better on W10, there is little benefit to them to waste time developing drivers for an unpopular OS.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ^ yes for AMD it does cause AMD has alot overhead in there DX11 drivers and the OpenGL is support it horrendous, which why DX12 beats there DX11 and Vulcan Beat there OpenGL, Nvidia already had low overheard in DX11 compared to AMD and Nvidia has proper support of OpenGL compared to AMD which one reason why Nvidia drivers didnt see much in provement over DX11 or OpenGL VS DX12 and Vulcan.

I mostly talking support from from both camps though support DX12 proper, This might push NVidia to do something similar then again it might not and that support is not dependent on the Drivers it dependant alot on developers doing what they need to do too

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  9. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    The best AMD has right now is rx580 which cant even beat a 1060 in most titles . I think you just proved my point that on the higher end nvidia cards it has completely flopped IMO AMD Radeon is digging its own grave

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    he is not talking AMD vs Nvidia he is Talking AMD DX11/OpengL vs AMD DX12/Vulcan AMD card vs AMD card show bigger difference in performance gains then Then Nvidia Cards vs Nvidia card show on the DX11/OpenGL vs DX12/Vulcan department cause nvidia had much lower overhead in those departments and actual support OpenGL unlike AMD's half assed support.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This is an AMD driver thread after all.

Nvidia will get there, but when it's not broken they are in no rush to fix things.
    GOW4 is in my experience the best optimised modern game of the last few years, and that is on Nvidia hardware. Unfortunately we have no DX11 version to compare it to, which i dislike, but then again maybe that is why the DX12 version works so well.

I'm sure it sucks if someon has an AMD card and 8/8.1, but they should know by now that AMD have to make compromises every now and then, and if you find yourself in a minority bracket then get out.

Cheers tsunami231, and Sixtyfps i'm not sure you realise you are commenting on a AMD driver thread that is about them pulling W8 support due to a clear resource issue.
    It's not another thread where one side picks DX11 games to make Nvidia look better and the other side picks DX12/Vulkan games to make AMD look better.

12. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    I understand your point. The issue i truly have is im going to be looking in the next gen Cards and my options are going to be only Nvidia because as i do have windows 10 pro i prefer windows 8.1. Its just too bad really For the few people like me who like this OS. I mean people act like its Vista or something just because of no start menu which can easly be fixed with http://www.iobit.com/en/iobitstartmenu8.php

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As stated before - just because AMD dropped support for 8.1, that doesn't mean you can't still install new drivers. You should be able to install either the 7 or 10 drivers with no problem.

For people like myself, my gripe with people using 8.1 is the fact that it's obsoleted. If you're willing to install an application to get a Start menu, you should have the knowledge to tweak W10 to perform to your needs. If you have a DX12 compatible GPU, you will be left behind regardless of the support AMD, Intel, or Nvidia offer.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

I am aware i was point out the win 10 only drivers probably has to do with fact AMD is better at DX12 atm then Nvidia, so they puting all there efforts in to Win10 only is more benficial then doing the other OS too I mean why continue to put resources into Win8/7 when Win 10 has DX 12 and they better at DX 12,

Imo Nvidia should do same thing it will force the adaption for Win10 and DX12 so we can final put DX9 stuff to rest and DX11 to lesser extent., i dont know about yous but DX9 need to die ON the other side of thing it is rather crappy to drop driver support on OS that is not EOL yet.

But IF MS holds true to there statement that Win10 is last windows to be released and it will just be build updates from now on like OSX, there is no problem to this, providing it remains true.

15. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Obsolete Really ? That's a laugh. Are you telling me than windows 7 is obsolete too ? The fact is i havent seen anything in DX12 besides GOW4 that is tickling my pickle. I have a extra copy of windows 10 so if i wanted to run both OS i could( on seperate SSDs of coarse). Im not sure how i would be left behind? Maybe you should read all the comments instead of just being salty about what i like my computer experiance to be. After all im the end user.:banana:

16. Viper666

Viper666 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 460 2GB
    I really wish people would do some research before talking nonsense...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20170208-00/?p=95395

17. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I believe you have been living under a rock for the past 9 years.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    He has a point though, so many people nowadays are full of their own self importance.

None of this is relevant to this thread though, this is a simple resource issue.
    It probably sucks for the W8.1 users, but AMD need to prioritise the majority, which is 7 and 10.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Well I finally finished installing 10 and all the software I use... it really is a **** os but at least I can use new video card drivers.

Need to figure out how to make it stop resetting file associations, no idea why it keeps setting it to programs I don't use.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    IMO they should stop support for windows 7 as well. Same goes for Nvidia. time to move forward, not keep living in the past.