AMD Radeon Crimson 17.7.2 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jul 26, 2017.

1. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    This isn't FastSync its very much different!!!
    Its new!

For god sake stop acting like you must own all new GPU features. I also using a 290 and didn't get these new features! You know what I not complaining because I except that I shouldn't get every single new feature that comes out!

Time to upgrade deal with it :D

Read here about Enhanced sync from PCper this isn't a rip off for Fastsync its new
    https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...res-better-performance?destination=node/68166

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

and I was wandering where is the Faith Militant :wanker:

3. Hequaqua

Hequaqua Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    Did as you asked. Used DDU. Did it in the order as well. Still no control.

[​IMG]

4. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    But has am sure Ryan will find out when he does his testing this isn't FastSync 1 to 1

Ryan is just a normal guy and he almost right in what he saying but not 100%

Enhanced Sync is Both Fastsync and Adaptive-Sync in one bit of Software

Its very much new! and not a one to one rip right from FastSync!

"I don’t have details on how the algorithm works yet and how it decides that it will enter and exit the tearing state, but I am hoping to get more answers when we start doing our own testing of the driver this week."

Even says he doesn't fully understand how it works yet

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Yeah you right it doesn't work. I went to MSI AB forum and posted in the bug section about it in the bugs thread.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. Hequaqua

Hequaqua Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    I've rolled back to 17.7.1

This driver seems to have it's own issues. I'll let them get it all sorted out, then try them again.

I was still getting odd input lag with my mouse.

7. LyGhT1337

LyGhT1337 Active Member

GPU:
    R9 295X2 @1050/1450
    For all:

I seemed to fix the low GPU Performance problem.

DON'T have MSI Afterburner installed, while you are installing the 17.7.2 Driver.
    It seems like that the Afterburner doesn't like 17.7.2 AT ALL.

8. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Enhanced Sync is a very nice thing for a games but the driver is a bug fest.

Enhanced Sync tearing up every youtube video in Chrome when it's enabled in global settings.

The driver still coliding with gpu-z, gpu load stuck at 16% on RX 580.

Radeon Settings is unstable, app freezing every 3rd/4th time at launch, just a a gray window, process needs to be killed if you wanna use app again.

Performance are lower than 17.5.2 as someone mentioned it.

Dying Light: The Following - freezes every 10 minutes for about 30 seconds, black screen, and then runs for another 10.

Doom doesn't work with current version of Vulkan.

This is just for hour of testing. Enhanced Sync is great feature but I can't remember when i saw AMD driver/app this unstable.

9. Carbide4

Carbide4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    How come a user with A10 and another with R9 290 have ReLive and Color Control, while I don't have either one of those? :eek3::confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LyGhT1337

LyGhT1337 Active Member

GPU:
    R9 295X2 @1050/1450
    Both works for me. Got an R9 270.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Carbide4

Carbide4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB

:eek3::eek3::eek3: This is so frustrating! :confused::cry::bang:

[​IMG]

Maybe I will re-download a new installer, or maybe I should install the one for Windows 10 (experimentation purposes) :bang:

Thanks for replying! :) :(

12. LyGhT1337

LyGhT1337 Active Member

GPU:
    R9 295X2 @1050/1450
    I mean, Windows 10 also brings some performance boosts with it (If you tweak it right.), you could test it, would actually appreciate it... so i can share more informations in other Forums.

Welp, Good luck :(.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I can't imagine that being good, having software hooked into the driver and then you remove and install a newer driver with that still running, think it's even recommended to turn off Afterburner in it's readme for things like this to avoid problems. :)

And as for color control I haven't checked per profile but for globally it's the bigger "Display" tab and then at least for Display Port (Unsure about HDMI.) you should see color bits as a new setting and a new smaller "color" option next to identify and specs which will open to these settings.

Also this driver actually reset the Wattman settings so I guess they updated something related to this system and thus the compatibility issues with third party software, guessing it'll be on AMD's end more so than Unwinder to resolve it again as happened in a earlier driver release but it's not like I'm an expert or anything so perhaps it could be worked around in the software too.
    (Could take AMD a while to get a compatible driver out after all if that's what it comes down to, no idea when the next one will hit but someone said 17.8.1 wasn't too far off earlier in this thread.)

Though being a larger driver branch update doing a clean install might probably be beneficial too, in-place upgrade seems to work but it doesn't hurt to do a full clean install on occasion. :D
    (Or always for some users, I do it about once per year usually.)

14. incneet

incneet Member

GPU:
    RX 5600XT
  15. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Both were with Steam version.
    And the Wattman does work in games, it's only Systeminfo that freezes when using it. GPU-Z doesn't detect the OC but the clocks show going up to the OCed value in Rivatuner while playing Prey.

Those having boot issues uninstall MSI Afterburner if you have it. With 17.7.1 my computer was booting to a black screen using the latest 4.4.0 beta 12.

It's only meant for developers, so they can see how the card's performance is affected by their application and tweak it real-time accordingly.

16. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    So, the new driver is broken, uh? Good I came here to read the comments before installing it. :)
    I got the 17.6.2 installed and MSI AB starting with Windows.
    The AMD thing that seems to always conflict with AB seems Relive. If I have to use this feature I have to close MSI AB, otherwise I won't be able to take screenshots or record videos with none of the two.
    So, if someone is having problems with MSI, check also if Relive is active or turned off.

I like the Crimson drivers, but some features seem still in beta. One is Wattman. As cool as it is on paper, the thing is useless for overclock or downvolting, because it resets the settings after some computer restart, without warning. And it's a shame, because the program offers great control on many options, more than anything else. Hopefully they wil make it more stable in the future.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Should only happen if the GPU driver crashes but yeah as a safety feature Wattman will reset upon crash and you can't save profiles either which I think has been a requested feature for a while now.

Undervolting should work with 17.7.2 at least going by the release notes though it might only be for specific GPU models and I don't think it allows you to do anything for HBM memory like with the Fury or Nano GPU models.
    (The safe threshold for voltage is also set to a pretty low value but overvolting the Fury only seems to have limited gains.)

EDIT: For Polaris though it should be a decent entry into basic overclocking although for older GPU models it seems to be running into various issues and for GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 in particular it seems AMD still has some work to do but it's taking them time as other things are prioritized.
    (Not like every 7000 series GPU owner can just go and buy a 400 or above Polaris either, especially with the shortage and price inflation currently being a problem due to mining crypto currency.)

EDIT: Or GCN Gen 1 and GCN Gen 2 to call it that, seems to be what AMD is referring it as and the 1.x is more of a non-official description.

But regardless then yeah Wattman still could do with some tweaking unless AMD plans to discontinue GCN 1.0 entirely in a upcoming driver.
    (Might not make much sense though depending on how that architecture works, still a decent performer too for that matter so.)

18. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    - did you get the VGA BIOS update, yet..
    - you can find it at TechPowerup..

I never install ReLive as I have DVR on Win10 - on Xbox as well
    I only use Trixx for OC and settings.. latest version performs perfectly..:bounce:

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Has AMD dropped support of Windows 8.1????

wtf is going on?

20. BoMbY

BoMbY Guest

GPU:
    Fury X
    Less than 10% of the users are still on 8.1, and more than half of them are probably using NVidia GPUs.