Modern Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Echelon, Jul 22, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Sorry, but all games after Tetris, Arkanoid and PacMan lack many things...
    :blunt:

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What are you talking about... lot's of games since Tetris have Sexual Innuendo.

[​IMG]

xD

3. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I´d rather see a prohibition for patches, sure a few games would remain broken forever but it´s still the case nowadays. :banana: Patch crunchers are hurting the fun out of gaming, not because of the patch itself but because of the capacity to sell today, patch tomorrow.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Sorry, but that is either an ignorant statement... or an incredibly naive statement.

Patches are a must. No game, will ever be released without the need of a patch, hotfix or update. Never.
    The only thing a prohibition on patches would do is make gaming worse on all platforms.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think what he is trying to say is it would be much nicer if devs finished and tested products properly before release instead of having the mentality of releasing said product within a certain time-frame regardless of there being bugs and then patching post-release.

6. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Honestly I wouldn´t object patch prohibition, because they are basically making buyers pay to get the game fixed/finished and I find that to be a ****ty unethical behavior.

Ps.- And don´t tell me that games are a piece of art that never is finished, I´ve made several mods and one always knows when there is stuff left in your to do list.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  7. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX 4080
    The only problem i have with modern games from every genre is that game developers these days think that every game needs RPG elements.

Monkey see, monkey do :puke2:

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Or open world or survival or crafting or....

which are all fine but I agree you needn't stuff them in every game. Especially open world is becoming a nauseating catchphrase, not least because it often translates to a bland map filled with pointless fetch quests.

9. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    The last MMORPG I really loved was Age of Conan when it first came out. Was so good to me back then. Even ESO was fun. Got into a good guild and the PVP castle siege was awesome.

Wish there was a really good MMORPG coming out.

Although not the same, I look forward to Kingdom come Deliverance, purely because I love most things medieval.

Oh and do add, like another Guru said. I think it really comes down to your age, point in life and overall situation which affects your enjoyment of games in general.

10. JasperB

JasperB Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 970
    Is Portal 2 a "modern game"? Because I'm pretty sure it's way better than any game I'd have nostalgic feelings about from my childhood. Perhaps I'm not as vulnerable to nostalgia, or I didn't play the right games, who's to say?

Of course, it's a crying shame Valve's no longer making single player games. I played Half-Life 2 for the first time in 2016, and it's insane how well it compares to modern day games. Not holding out hope to ever be able to play Half-Life 3 though.

Also, it heavily depends on the genre. RTS? I'd still play AoE II or Warcraft 3 over anything recent. But in terms of turn-based strategy I think XCOM: Enemy Unknown was incredible and spawned a turn-based revival of sorts.

And when you look at what Witcher 3 did to previous RPGs, wow. I don't think any RPGs properly made you feel like you were in a city the way Novigrad did, and that's just a small part of Witcher 3's world. It was an absolutely huge step up from Witcher 2!

If you look beyond EA, Generic Open World Inc. (or Ubisoft for short) and The Call of Duty Factory I think the games industry is in a pretty good place.

11. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    Games these days have amazing graphics and terrible atmosphere and stupid adhd game mechanics.

I installed farcry 2 today because the exploration was totally free from narrative pressure and had great atmosphere but it looks absolutely disgusting graphics wise.

I just don't know why stupid collectibles and pop culture references are mandatory in every game. I want escapism in another world not some high def collectors cards game inside a shooter where you have to take pictures with your camera phone in the middle of a post apocalyptic shooter for some god damn reason.

12. uncleknacker

uncleknacker Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070
    I'm falling out of touch with modern gaming as a whole. Me and the wife played through Resident Evil 4 recently, really enjoyed it, great atmosphere, graphics still decent, storyline was cheesy but fun - which is something I always loved about the Resi games. Installed and started 5, but not for us, as don't like the modern/tactical/third world aspect of it. Installed and played some of 7 and not a fan - too gritty, violent (as in sickening violent rather than the less realistic predecessors) and is more like a mutated Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Only recent game I am really enjoying is GTA V, which is brilliant - graphics amazing, large sandbox, storyline is funny as well.

Apart from GTA, just playing a lot of console games via emulation - Resident Evil 1/2/3/CV, MGS, Streets of Rage, Sonic and almost finished Ace Combat 4 for the millionth time.

I really miss my early days gaming - Baldur's Gate, C&C, Wing Commander, Soldier of Fortune (remember that?!), Doom, Myst, Theme Park and all.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Or the misconception that every game needs a MP component.
    It's gotten better in recent years, but for a while... even games built as strong single player experiences were being forced to have MP as well.

But I do agree, this fascination with open world design completely baffles me.
    People whisper "linear" as if it's some damned dirty word in the gaming world.
    Just people don't understand that linear is not just "on rails, overly scripted CoD" style that most associate it with.
    And personally, I would rather play a linear game then an open world title.

14. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    The biggest difference in the old & the new gods is media encroachment. When i played games before mid 2000, i played to have fun regardless of any foreign perception or "review". So, i would have 0 expectancy and if the exp. was bad i'd be less bitter about it. Now, you're bombarded with reviews, impressions and ****ty perceptions. I say, block that off, expect fun and only focus on if there is fun in whatever you're playing, and be less cringy.
    Grew up with strategy games only, and never dived deep into FPS / RPG but arcade stuffs like racing , until very recently.
    Old gems with 1000+hrs-
    civ 3, aoe 2, aom, warcraft 3, stronghold 1, NFS PU (5), gta3/vc, zelda a l t t p, zelda windwaker, pokemon leaf green, etc. Still play some of them today

New gems
    Bastion, remember me, BF2, dota 2, limbo, etc

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    My problem with open world games is that while the world is open, the questing is often more linear than a linear game. "Collect 10 skulls from x area that I highlighted on your map and bring them back to me so I can do y with them" - it just feels like content is thrown in for the sake of it.

I'd much prefer to like go into a city, see a dude getting the **** kicked out of him, choose to intervene or not. If I do, he tells me why, it's a gang of people that have been stealing from the poor or whatever - then through clues in the city, I should be able to track down the area, not with a map indicator, but actual descriptions of the area and kill them or whatever. But then that city should be actually effected - like when I go back, they should go "thank god someone killed ****heel gang" - store NPC's have more money, etc.

Obviously that's hard to implement and even harder across a huge variety of quests, but I want my questing to actually impact the landscape. Like when I kill a group of bandits or recapture a lost city, I want actual NPCs to move into the city and rebuild it - or at least show some semblance of my accomplishment visually in the world as oppose to some "Quest Complete" checkbox.

Need a good AI middleware too - AMD should do TressAI or something lol. Back when EQ Next was a thing, they talked about the AI roaming, enemies actually having encampments, traveling out of the encampment to complete their own objectives, interfering with player objectives, etc - the game died but the idea sounded cool. Now that we have 16 core processors for $1000 devs need to get on that.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For me this obsession with open world design is the worst trend of current games. Every game tries to have an open world just because GTA sells millions and that open world has to be huge because size matters! No matter if the world is an empty place with very few interesting places, it has to be gigantic!...
    In the end lots of games are worse than they should be because they want to be something that they aren´t. Witcher 3 and MG5 are prime examples of this...

And now we also have the cinematic presentation because every game should be like the movies and crappy stories with the mandatory LGBT characters to make sure no one is offended by a video game...

And this is what makes older games special compared to modern ones, the older ones only focused on the most important aspect of games, gameplay, while modern games are more interest in the presentation and crappy stories pretending to be something deep and important and they forget and neglect the gameplay aspect...

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Modifying is essential, at least for me, but very few AAA games support that; maybe that's why I prefer older games, or perhaps I've grown "old and stupid", as it were...

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    And the opposite: Very few people buy a BF game for the SP (they exist, but still...).

Not to mention Doom 4: Great no-nonsense SP campaign, yet they choose to invest all DLC's into MP :bang:

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    DOOM had such a strong focus on MP because Bethesda want's a MP title of their own. Since DOOM's MP crashed and burned, they've shifted their focus to Quake... thankfully they didn't force any MP onto Wolf.

MachineGames are still making a single player only Wolfenstein title. :)

20. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I´m not sure about that, I mean you don´t like to have a nice IQ?, force some 16x anistropic and in-game proper MSAA. Which is one of the things I don´t like from games these days... IQ, no good and fast msaa, aliased specular, aliased shaders, aliased bananas, all coated with a blurry layer of post processing AA... and now some devs happily start to use checkerboarding and similar to compensate poor performances, as if the IQ wasn´t taking enough blows by now.