Microsoft lists of features that will be removed with Fall Creators Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Nothing i ever used.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Last time i opened Paint was in either 98SE or XP.

Used Paint Shop Pro for a while untill i migrated to Photoshop.

4. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Yep, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, all these companies that outsource labor pretty much do nothing but destroy the economy and undermine the quality of goods in a constant race to the bottom.

People want everything for free dont care that now they only have access to replicas of what they used to be able to buy for real. It is a mentality that is pervasive today.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's not removing, they have put everything from paint on the 3D... the normal one is useless now.

And about viewer, who still use the one that come with windows? puting them with edge save place on the drive :) it's a nice move to merge everything that you doesn't use in a single place.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you are literally complaining about Microsoft removing paint then you're just complaining just to complain. All Paint features are in Paint 3D which is basically an updated version of paint anyway.

None of these are updated or kept supported by Microsoft anyway.

7. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Your average user: **** windows it's a bloatware
    The same average user after something is removed: **** m$ (gotta put the dollar sign obviously) for taking out features

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Title is a little click baity. Some of the removed programs will be available in the store others will be merged into existing programs. I see this as a good thing. It makes base W10 lighter and less cluttered overall. It does not "force" you into a closed eco system any more than the programs being installed with the OS.

9. gdmaclew

gdmaclew Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX-580 4GB
    Just another reason to stick with Win7 as long as I can.

10. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    what are you going on about? Apple lets you install whatever on osx. For ios I think it actually makes sense to force some control, windows phone was pretty much the same way.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It's funny how the same people love robotics, but hate free software.

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Literally no pleasing some people it seems, complain that Windows 10 is full of bloatware then complain when they remove / no longer support old software, most of which has far better 3rd party alternatives anyway.

Just proves that whatever Microsoft does, people will still complain either way.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You say this as though it's a bad thing, but as a Linux user, I get access to plenty of free and open source tools that are plenty good enough for my needs. Every year, paying for MS products makes less and less sense.

Windows is bloated. But I for one am perfectly fine with them taking out features. On my gaming PC, I'm seriously considering switching to Windows 10 LTSB, since it strips away all the useless crap I don't want; features that are notoriously difficult to get rid of (like Cortana). It's still relatively bloated, but not enough for me to complain about.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm not sure why removing OS bloat is frowned upon. I really like this idea to be honest. Moving programs to the app store is a great idea, not to lock you in, but honestly it gives you more choice than just having it installed by default since well you can install anything from the app store, open source or paid programs.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I use Paint every month if not week. It's not fantastic but it's always been there, like notepad. A quick printscreen or photo-crop (etc) and it'll do.

Paint 3D isn't really the same, regardless of functionality.

...but whatever. Paint is apparently the bloatware we all wanted gone. :3eyes:

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think classic Paint should've stayed, since that is actually useful (though personally, I'm not upset about it being gone - if I really need it, it's not hard to get back).

I have always hated Windows' Notepad. Such a terrible program with no excuse for its lack of functionality. Even Nano, a sub-2MB CLI tool, is more capable. I think Notepad should also always come with Windows, but they seriously need it to do more than what it could since Windows 3.1.

17. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    I have windows 10 and a ten year old pc. I use it as it is. I don't use cortana and the only way for me to remember it even exists is when people on forums like this keep mentioning it. I get no slowdowns, no pop ups or notifications or anything else whatsoever. If it's just the idea that it exists that annoy people like you then I am pretty sure that loses against the alternative of people that have actual use for it.

And as per your other post windows notepad is perfectly fine for what it is. If you want more functionality you have wordpad and if you want something more you have the office suit.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah and depending what you do, your experience sounds perfectly reasonable and predictable (and I said nothing about pop-ups). By themselves, the software Windows comes with isn't that bad. The problem is Windows comes with so much of it, and more annoyingly, Windows re-installs them after major updates. The software is mediocre at best, so it ends up collecting dust as something else is added to pick up the slack. These things add up. Cortana alone isn't a problem, but it often ends up being one of the top 5 memory consuming tasks on my PC. You can argue "unused memory is wasted memory" but so is "memory utilized by something you don't want".

Keep in mind too, Windows has an [annoying] tendency to use the paging file frequently. Windows gets "swappier" as you get closer to filling up your RAM (which arguably can be a good thing for inattentive people). Paging files are extremely slow. I'm guessing you have 8GB of RAM or less and a mechanical HDD. Despite how smooth you think your PC feels, it would feel noticeably smoother without this extra stuff you don't use, and would boot up faster. So utlimately - why waste your PC's potential on things you don't want? This becomes less relevant on more powerful and modern PCs, but I still don't want pointless clutter. I wouldn't care so much if MS didn't force you to have it.

No, it really isn't. The only thing it is good for is writing a couple lines for a batch script or to view a readme file. It lacks some of the most basic functionality that pretty much every text editor in every other OS has been using for over a decade. Even Mac's TextEdit supports stuff like intelligent spacing, spell check, and some degree of color-coding.
    Wordpad is a basic document editor; it isn't good for code files. That being said, Wordpad is adequate for its purposes and I have no complaints about it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Maybe Microsoft's Ultimate Goal is to remove lots of features and make them all available on the Store to try to get people to create Microsoft accounts xD

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Honestly it might be something for them to use as a selling point for 10 S systems. No, you cannot install third party apps outside the Windows Store, but all your favorite apps are available in the Windows Store! Something like that.