Review: NZXT Kraken X42

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the NZXT Kraken X42 Series Liquid cooler, the little brethren of that X62 we reviewed. The smaller model is nearly as good as its big brother though. This revision CPU cooler is compatible w...

Review: NZXT Kraken X42

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Is this model compatible with GPU's also ?

3. kroks

kroks Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    usb cable ruins the design

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Good review, thanks! Nice 140mm AiO although a bit pricey considering it has a 140mm rad, 120€ is price range where decent 240mm AiO's can be found. But for small ITX and HTPC builds X42 could be just perfect.

As you just sad HH although we're a bit tired of this RGB stuff LED tubes on this one looks rather interesting and you can dim it enough with pretty nice NZXT CAM software to be on "non eye-violent" mode.

page 9, "...We decided to go with the Core i7 4790K as it literally is the hottest processor your money can get you...."

^^^ :) You have to update this statement boss.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Actually well crap yeah .. it isn't the hottest anymore is it ? :)

6. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    That whole page would deserve an update as you are presenting pretty old processors as the ones to buy nowadays.

7. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I can't decide if I like 1x140 or 2x120 fans version more.
    I don't see a reason to put AIO cooler on a CPU these days though. The amount of heat is significantly lower than a GPU.

8. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I'm using the Kraken X31 myself, but if I was to choose again, I would go for the best Noctua air cooler option that would be available at that time instead (at least for CPU). CAM got a bit better but I had a lot of problems with that software. I had to open a support ticket because some of the features just weren't working properly. What I can praise though is the way their support actually worked. Two different persons contacted me directly and helped me to solve the issues pretty fast. Performance wise, this seems to me as the same cooler as I have, just with added RGB and even higher price. The only big advantage this solution has is the silence, that I can agree with.

9. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4070Ti
    After all the **** is coming out of CAM with their data collection telemetry, bugs and how slow/unresponsive their support is I just cant see this as an option. Sure the hardware is awesome but their software ruins it.

10. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Why is performance mode quieter than silent mode?