Windows 10 keeps enabling System Restore.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by TheDeeGee, Jul 12, 2017.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So since i have Acronis True Image i always disable System Restore on all Drives.

But i noticed Windows 10 keeps enabling it.

I even set it to disabled in group Policy, but it keeps enabling it on the C drive.

Anyone else with this issue?

2. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Yeah I've noticed this too

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Guess ill limit it to 1%, seems to be the only fix to save SSD space.

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The group policy will hold (Well it should at least.) but it'll show as if it's enabled occasionally and if that bothers you then you'll have to open GPEdit again and re-adjust the policy and then disable system restore only to have to repeat it all whenever it next changes.

I haven't found a connection as to what exactly ticks it but some driver updates seem to cause it to happen more frequently, perhaps they call for a system backup or perhaps the OS just calls that function causing it to be re-enabled.
    (Or in the case of group policy it'll look like it's on but you won't find any images since it's technically still disabled aside from the UI reporting it incorrectly.)

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    For example, it can be setting in Windows Update like "create system restore point before installing updates". Also there is same setting in Defender iirc.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I do use System Restore on my PC in case I want to revert back after, say, a bad driver install (I always do a manual checkpoint when installing any new drivers), although I do also use Acronis True Image to do monthly backups of my C drive. However, I have noticed what appears to be a bug in Windows that changes the amount of space System Restore uses from 1% (9 GB) to 100%!!! That is especially annoying and only seems to have happened since upgrading to Windows 10.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It seems to stay Disabled ever since i went back to the Anniversary Update :p

I also use Acronis, weekly though and i only save 6 full backups, which is just over a month.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    system restore is disabled on all my drives in windows creator update, Then again I also went threw the trouble of removing the system restore partions windows 10 creates too

I basicly manual created all my partions then installed windows 10 maybe this is why i dont have this issue?

Aida64 says it on if you look the defender under security though

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I don't have this issue and stopped using system restore with Windows 10 since it's so easy to friggin' repair it.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont use System repair never have, It easier to just format and do clean installs, and less time consuming then fixing some stuff specially when one is in the habit of backing up things or keeping vital things you cant be losing OFF the OS drive.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I completely reinstalled now with the Media Creation Tool on USB, which installs 1703 instantly. Everything seems to behave normal again.

Not sure but, i feel like using CCleaner does more harm than good to an OS. Specially the registery cleaner.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont really use CCleaners reg cleaner much if at all anymore, I just make manual a CCleaner auto run task in the taskmanager it let clear out things it normal cleaners along with few custom folder daily, more complicated the OS get the more things added to the more temperamental it is

I been pushing off install 1703 though , I dont want isntall on dad pc to find out it fubard the startmenu cause I cant do clean install on this pc

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Cool thing about the Creators Update is that you can defer feature updates for 365 days, rather than 180.

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    And it enabled again :p

Atleast the slider stays at 1%, i can live with that.