Review: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We check that 349,- enthusiast class X299-E Gaming motherboard, yes the ASUS ROG STRIX. A nice looking motherboard in dark theme offering nice features, design and of course performance. Thi...

Review: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming

2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice review HH

Can't wait for the youtube videos of people cooking bacon and eggs on these things!!! 110c is insane!

Glad to see MB vendors now changing the pstates on these boards, 70-75 degrees stock is not too bad, still a bit toasty. Just doesn't look like overclocking will be a thing unless you have an impressive custom loop or/and use liquid nitrogen :/

3. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Ryzen came just in time, X299 is still a mess

4. Lubna

Lubna Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI
    Good job HH, very interesting

5. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Looks good, the new bios revisions cleans up the mess a bit.
    Would love if you could test with 7820x instead of the expensive 7900x :)

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Feel free to purchase and send me one for a review ;)

7. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Did you mean 4600 MHz ?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Most def - f!x0r3d

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Fantastic review.

Wow thats an awesome overclock, do you think it would be stable/acceptable temps with an alternative watercooling based solution?

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I kind of doubt that you can shave 30 celsius off of that thing with alternative watercooling setup that easy. If it reaches 110 in cinebench with that said cooler.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah you may shave 20°C with a delid but these i9 are cooking surfaces not CPU's.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This is a very nice board but the price is stupid, 350€ for an entry level MB?...

Hilbert, have you thought about undervolting the 7900X??? I think it could be beneficial, not only in terms of temps and power usage but also it could increase (slightly) performance because the CPU could boost more frequently and would decrease the risk of throttling during continued usage.

About the CPU, there seems to be something wrong with it because the thermals are horrible and i´m surprised to see Intel release chips in this conditions after an huge investment they have made in past years in making CPUs more efficient and less power hungry. Makes me wonder if X299 CPUs are simply failed server parts destined for the garbage bin...

Great review!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem you can even get that much out of the delid. Most people are reporting only 8-10c drops. Supposedly the glue holding the IHS down is thinner, thus the gap that was causing the majority of the heat issues on previously TIM'd Intel chips is having less of an effect. I've considered delidding my 7820x when a delidding kit comes out. I previously did my 3770K/4790K with a vice, but this chip has way to many surface mounted stuff on the top that I don't want to break. But honestly now that I've spent a few weeks tweaking it and whatnot, I don't think I will.

I'm currently running at 1.24v @ 4.8Ghz - with pretty decent scaling (I can't detect phantom throttling). I get about a max of ~65c in normal FFT P95 workload, goes to about ~82c with SmallFFT, which would be a little high for my tastes, but I've literally never, ever seen the processor go past 60c in any single game/general workload including a loop of the combined test in 3DMark Firestrike. The only time it goes to even 65-70c is when I render a video, which is is extremely rare and 70c doesn't bother me at all.

I think the 7900x with the two extra cores and double FMA output just doesn't have the thermal headroom for decent clocks. Having to run the chip at 1.3 to even hit 4.6 seems like a lot considering what I get on my 7820.

The platform is definitely a mess and not to toot my own horn, but I think the only chip worth considering is the 7820x. Recent reviews of the 7800x show really wonky gaming performance compared to the 7820/7900 - the 7900 is priced too high for the difference in performance and the kabylake x chips just don't make sense on the platform. The 7820x seems to thread the needle on the issues - but most people should probably opt for AMD's significantly cheaper 1700x, which gives 85-90% of the performance of the 7820x for nearly half the price.

14. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Is this going to be the end of the LGA 1151 motherboards and CPU's? Or are they going to be around a few more years?

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yup the 7820x seems like the best value out of 299 platform. I saw review with 1600 and 7800x. It was pretty much dead even Ryzen winning some and that 7800x winning some even when oc'd. And that was pretty much 300-400$ less. I linked it at the ryzen platform thread on the forums.