Intel Six Core Lineup exposed - Core i7-8700K and Core i5-8600K

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    This is what AMD has given us. Intel has been able and willing to offer 6 core / 12 thread mainstream performance parts for years but had no one pushing the market. They are using the same 14nm process just bumping to 6 cores to compete with AMD's 8 core parts. Hopefully this starts a back and forth in the mainstream performance segments of one pushing the other 6 months apart.

3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Just need to know how many PCIe lanes the 6 core 12 thread supports and how much RAM it can handle. If the price tag is decent then maybe it will do well.

4. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    What's with the slow clock speeds? Nowadays the clock speeds should be at least 4Ghz minimum.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

5. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Intel could easily release an 8 core mainstream model if they would only remove that IGP. It would cost the same or less to produce considering it doesn't need to waste resource on the igp part of the die.

6. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    I hope these won't suffer from poor core to core latency just like I9-7900x does. That's by assuming these come with mesh, instead of ring-bus.

7. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    I'm always impressed at the amount of insider information some people seem to have on the interwebz ... :3eyes:

8. hapkiman

hapkiman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I read somewhere 16 - 3.0 PCIe lanes from the proc. Same as Kaby Lake/Skylake. Not certain about RAM.

9. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Im still waiting to upgrade my i7 4790k, id love a 6 or 8 core with min base clock of 4ghz, not going to settle for less

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This CPUs are only interesting to me in case they can be used with Z270 MBs so they can provide a future upgrade path. Otherwise i don´t care.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I was expecting at least 4.0ghz. Intel is really desperate isnt it?

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    So where are all the fanboys saying 4 cores for gaming is enough?
    An i5 with 6 cores? How intel has changed this year...
    My 2500k is still running strong, haven't even pushed more than 4.0Ghz on it.
    Wont upgrade for less than 6c/16t and everyone knows i7 are overpriced BS so I know where's my money going (for now).
    Also, that 8400 at 2.8Ghz...unless it turbos to 4Ghz, it will be in trouble.

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    It really is, though. At least today. In the future? Who knows. My crystal ball is on strike.

But that doesn't mean we should not innovate. The world doesn't revolve around gaming.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Year ago, I would buy that 6C/6T on the spot. Today I consider minimum 6C/12T.

And interesting thing will come now. Because there are 2 possibilities:
    1) Intel drops prices of 4C/4T & 4C/8T considerably to make space (Considering their 4C/$C pricing on X299, I do not think it will happen.)
    2) Intel drops prices of 4C/4T & 4C/8T tiny bit and adds expensive 6C/6T & 6C/12T as options for those willing to pay that extra.

Either way it is bad move. In 1st case it will alienate many people who recently bought those now cheaper chips. And rest will consider price difference as big milking.
    In 2nd case, big price for those new chips will not make them as attractive as AMD's.

Especially those locked ones. There is no reason to buy intel's locked ones when AMD offers equal performance at same price with OC-ability. Those unlocked ones may prove to be stronger, but price premium intel asks for unlocked chips ...

And I really wonder if intel improved IPC that much this time, so they can clock them so low.

15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I couldn't have said it better myself, why spend twice the amount of money on i7's for a minimal performance gain in games or Ryzen that can barley overclock?

16. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I don't care about clock speed, but what I do care about is performance. I would actually prefer a higher performance part at a lower clock speed. I think higher clock speeds are the most primitive and simplistic way of achieving higher performance. Eventually you can't manufacture parts on a smaller process, and you can't practically deal with the excess heat produced by simply upping the clocks. I can't think of an Intel part that didn't perform better than the previous generation at the same clock speed.
    It's not new or uncommon for new architectures to have better performance than previous architectures at the same clock speed. Remember when the Athlon64 came along and had much better performance than Intel's Pentium D at lower clocks, then Core2 came along and had much better performance than Athlon64 at lower clocks.
    Megahertz has been a marketing gimmick. AMD tried to move away from it with their AthlonXP chips, using names like "3200+" for a 2.2Ghz part. AMD claimed their architecture was different than Intel's and couldn't be compared using just clock speed. They were right, and the same applies to different architectures within the Intel family.

17. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Rise of the tombraider and fallout 4 would like to disagre with you , i se RoTB max out my i5 4460 in a lot of instances , same for fallout 4 , so no 4 cores are not enough for gaming , and that's only two of the games i play , i am pretty shure there are more who enjoy more cores.

18. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I moved from an 2500k @ 5ghz to this 6700k and i have @stock double the fps that i had at 5ghz with that 2500k while playing GW2 in crowded areas. It all depends on what you're playing.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Fallout 4 is a bad game engine. RoTR is just fine on a i7. Yes 4 cores are becoming inadequate however they will still be viable gaming CPU's for a while still.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    For now is more than enough. In the future, i really don´t know. In case more cores are needed it would be cool to have a CPU that i can simply slot in my system instead of having to buy a new MB and RAM. Simple as that.