What if valve/steam goes bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by StewieTech, Jul 15, 2017.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I was looking at my steam library and wondering "do i really own these games? how?" They are not physical copies. What if valve goes bankrupt, how do we preserve the ability to play them? I have a fair amount of money invested in my steam account and want to be playing my classics for decades! Like, until my grave or something... Have you guys ever thought about this?

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    If Valve goes bankrupt there will be lot more wrong with the world that will make the loss of your games seem insignificant.

3. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Steam is never going bankrupt. Valve barely has game developers anymore, they invest only in small things that barely make a blip on their profits... Steam controller, Steam Machines etc.. 99% of their business is hosting, selling, and taking a cut of profits from video game developer sales. They are the kings of nearly a pure profit business.

4. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Many wise people would say that half life 3 is confirmed once valve goes bankrupt.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Someone would buy Valve and keep Steam running. Steam has become too big to simply disappear even if Valve goes down.

7. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    In my country during the 2008 crysis whole banks went bankrupt and people lost their money!! Hows valve safer than a bank? Makes you think, just wondering...

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Valve may not be "safer" than a bank but they possess something of great value: Steam! Steam is so big and valuable right now that if Valve went bankrupt companies like MS, EA, Sony and others would line up to buy it for a giant sum of money! Not to mention that if Valve really mess up things and need money urgently they can always go public and sell part of the company.
    So i think that our games are safe for the foreseeable future.

P.S. i´m also portuguese.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's because those banks were managed by greedy idiots and incompetents. Valve is also managed by greedy people, but they are highly competent at making money. That's the essential difference.

10. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    LOL CryTek FTW...oh wait...

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, there always be smart guys who would crack steam client to allow players enjoy their games (already installed locally at least).

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    As has already been said in this thread, this question came up years ago back when STEAM first started.
    And Valve have had a plan in place since the beginning.

Also, given the insane amount of money Valve brings in from Valve... for them to go bankrupt... there would be far bigger issues in the world.

13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Selling a product or service is different from a bank. A bank makes money from... money. If money loses its value or whatever, the profit also loses its value. Or stock, which is indirectly pretty much the same as money in some way.

If money loses value, but you're selling a valuable service or product however, the product / service still holds its value towards your users or customers. While a crisis may affect your profits, it's not going to instantly "devalue" the service or product you offer.

So it stands to reason a healthy company won't go under from a bank crisis just overnight.

14. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Ubisoft..
    :banana:

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What if PC gaming stopped existing?

It Won't

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    A even more interesting question is as steam accounts grow in game accumilation and investment by the people that own them and spend money on them, will they become so big and valuable that people actually want to treat them as investments that they can bequeath on there passing.....will my steam account still be playable in say 50 years time when i am long gone by family......interesting thought.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Don´t scare me like that! I think i would prefer losing all my games...

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes I have. Like said Valve won't go down or at least Steam won't, it's simply too big and profitable.

Still as you wondered about ownership there's a thing. When you buy a game from Steam you don't actually buy a copy of the software but a license to use a copy of the software.

So you don't own the games in your library, only the right to install and use them. For the time being. In theory Valve could revoke your rights for any reason but customer protection laws ofc help keep users safe. Plus Valve would gain nothing from doing so. Except bad PR.

So the old Doom you have on floppies is yours to keep forever but the new Doom you have from Steam is yours to use as long as Valve sees fit. For example, bluntly.

19. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    If Valve go bankrupt they revoke the licenses of your games and you lose.
    Pain and simple.

You don't keep your hard copy and all access is denied.

20. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    In relation to a question "Do I own anything on Steam?", simple answer is "No, you do not.". Steam as a service, defines itself as a rental business. You are buying licenses to games, generally a license to rent a game for life. And Steam has full rights to revoke your license as pleased, if need comes to that.

I would suggest to read Steam ToS a few times to really grasp the idea of what Steam is and is not.

Valve as a business, they are not own by anyone and they are a billion dollar company, so for them to go bankrupt, something really stupid and bad must happen. And as others pointed out, Valve has contingency plan to support existing customers with access to their games.

---

Actually, you, me, others, we don't and we can't own anything in digital format, because legally you can own something only if you are a creator of something. We, as a customers only own licenses.

Even on GOG, you do not own anything, you own only a license. But at least in there you have an option to have offline installer of the game and you are free to keep it on your hard disk, flash drive or compact disk forever.