Oculus Rift With Touch Drops to £399 / 450 Euro / 399 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This doesn't surprise me - Oculus has been losing attention ever since Facebook got involved. They gave a firm slap to the face to many of the original backers, they remained too proprietary, and they eventually intend to move away from gaming in order to focus on more social aspects (which is relatively boring and could have easily be done via much cheaper platforms such as Google Cardboard).

The $400 price tag is very nice, but for me personally, my ship has sailed.

3. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    the occulus was uncomfortable to me. I have a smaller nose i could never reduce the gap completely, it was very distracting. the screen door effect was pretty bad as well, needs higher res... VR has potential but where it fails is in the human interface, its just not perfected yet.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Out of curiosity, which model did you try? I have an OSVR 1.3, which has a 1080p display and as a result also has the screen door effect. I'm open to the idea of upgrading the display but currently 2K options are the only ones, and I don't feel confident that's enough of an increase in pixel density. I figure the experience would be much better with 4k.

My unit was also a bit uncomfortable, but at least that lets you change the face pads (not sure if alternative HMDs do). I replaced mine with bicycle helmet pads - very comfortable, though it looks weird.

5. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Like I posted elsewhere - not too surprising, they are still trying to sell this dead horse.

Let it end soon.

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Facebook was always the deal breaker for me where Occulus is concerned, I wouldn't even take one for free, F**k Disgracebook :)

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, after summer, Oculus Rift 2 will be here. Or it is going under.
    There are rarely other reasons for high discounts which are 'temporary'.

Anyway. When we get wireless Vive 2 with adaptive sync, there may finally be few games to play.

No reason to get VR for tech demos.

8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Only reason I'm remotely interested is pCARS VR. Still not gonna get it with such a low resolution.

9. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Good to see prices are dropping, but i'll wait for the next gen, preferably wireless solutions, also that pixel density...it needs to be doubled at least, main reason why i returned my Vive. Other than that no complaints.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, that answers my previous question anyway. I guess now I definitely will wait for 4K HMDs. Unfortunately, using 4K also means relatively low frame rates 90FPS is a lot better for nausea than 60FPS, but its hard to achieve framerates that high when you have AA on, which helps a lot for VR.

I agree wireless would make for a big leap forward, but unfortunately they are bound to cause latency issues. Maybe utilizing something like 802.11ad could help with that. That wifi spec seems to perform poorly through walls, but I don't think most VR users are going to be walking between rooms anyway.

EDIT:
    If VR were more polished, I would look into making a VR-capable backpack, kind of like what MSI did. But, the technology is still a bit too young for the time being.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

11. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I still use my CV1 everyday, I bought some wrist weights which I wear with the oculus touch, really helped to build my arms up, I mostly play games like Ripcoil and Robo Recall, I find using the wrist weights along with the touch makes it feel more like i'm holding a real gun and as much as I dislike Facebook I think the Oculus is a great device for early adopters, it's a massive improvement over the development kits but yeah as soon as the CV2 comes out i'll be upgrading, the main thing I want to see is a wireless version and obviously a higher resolution but they really need to focus on the wireless over everything else.

And as far as people hoping VR is going to die out, I think that's just a stupid negative response.

12. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    And this is how using this device every day presbyopia starts earlier than expected.
    Not for me.

13. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I never heard of this and considering VR is so new I can't imagine there would be that many longterm studies on the effects of VR and presbyopia, but I do remember reading a study a few years ago when sterescopic 3D was taking off and they claimed that it helped to improved vision and there was one guy who suffered from stereoblindness who actually cured himself by using a sterescopic device, time will tell I guess but I don't use it 24/7 so i'm not too worried, I use it a few hours a day and my eye sight hasn't changed.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Literally unsourced speculation.

The cause is not known but thought to be linked to ageing.

15. k4sh

k4sh Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070 @ 2139-2152
    It is (linked to age), but i also read that forcing your eyes too often a day to focus on a close object or (for us) a displays, helps vision lowering.
    For me the problem would be to be so immersed that i would use it a day more than reasonable.
    I leave it to others though i will surely follow the technology improvements.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    This was just what i was wating for, i have really been enjoying the DK2 and some of those VR games over the last month, so i can take them to my local CEX and trade in for cash, and put that towards the price of this, which should mean i get this for about £250, sorted.

Last week the headset alone would have cost you £599, this week, £399 with the touch controllers with are £99 to but alone, 2 sensors, a Xbox game pad, and six games......

After trying stuff like Titans 2.0, VR body and some of the educational stuff, i think VR is going to impact teaching in a big way over the next few years.

17. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    "Forcing" your eyes is a bit of an exaggeration, at least in my case, maybe it depends on the individuals sight, but when i played games, even for longer sessions (3-6 hours) i wouldn't feel my eyes tired at all, even when i first put the headeset on it felt natural.

What did make me a bit light headed was when i messed with the settings and i started pulling sliders all over the place , but as the warnings said, more doesn't mean better in that case.

A game i tried was WoW, that really messed me up after i fiddled with the settings(that damn HUD), but after i reset it to default it was fine(just fine) it still felt forced. Games specifically made for VR on the other hand, feel like you're there even with the low PPI. Really immersive, can't wait for the better displays to surface.

18. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I wouldn't say I'm a "hater", but much like Kinect and the Wii, I think VR is a big distraction for the gaming industry. There are a bunch of obvious limitations for this technology, it's applications in gaming seem pretty limited, and it's taking attention and resources that could be used to make better game experiences.

I don't think it's got a long term future, because it's a very limited product. So if it's not going to break wide the way touchscreen gaming did with the iPhone/iPad, I'd rather see it die ASAP so the resources can get back to supporting new and better ideas.

Also, I get off on watching people's dreams get crushed because I'm a jerk. :)

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Kinect and Wii are a bit different - they have a very finite amount of gaming options. In VR, there is nothing stopping developers from making a game VR-compatible. In fact there are several games out there that never intended to have VR support but now do, or VR-compatible games that are sequel to games that never had VR. You're still able to use gamepads, y'know. Not all VR games require hand controllers.

In other words, VR is capable of playing all existing games in addition to new ones that can't be played without a HMD and/or hand controllers.

So no, VR is not by any means a distraction to the gaming industry, but rather is an optional enhancement. Also, what are the technological limitations? Right now the only thing VR really needs is more powerful GPUs and 4K displays. Existing models are a pretty solid proof-of-concept that show a lot of promise. Making them wireless will definitely help, but isn't a necessity.

Do you not realize the hypocrisy in your statement? You want new and better IDEAS, yet you just shot down basically everything that strays from your comfort zone, whether that be keyboard+mouse, gamepads, or flat-screen displays with an ever-increasing refresh rate or resolution. So what else is there?

Y'know what really hurts an industry? Stagnant innovation.

20. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    Lol perfect timing for me personally - I was looking to get a OSVR HDK2 this or next month, this obviously changes the choice to a Rift :nerd: :D

I can't wait to finally play all my Race sims in VR, or atleast Assetto and Pcars (and soon pCars 2).

Honestly I don't care for the controllers that much although I will be trying a bunch of stuff out, but for me it's just to replace my TV with something better in my Sim-race-setup :banana: It's possibly the only thing that really works amazingly well with VR glasses (Race sims) - and beyond that I personally feel it's all hype (mostly).

All in all great timing for this haha! Rift here I come! XD