16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by user1, Jul 28, 2016.

1. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Best performance

Hi people, i really dont understand so much the thread order for the drivers xD the recommended pack is the latest one and offer more performance and stability than the others, i get it right? Abreviations in the description of each one i dont get it really well to be honest, someone who can explained for me please? I suppose no more modded pack are coming? Thanks for your help, and congrats to User1 for the superhuman effort in this :p

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the Recommended version is the best one, has the least amount of issues, however it should be noted on newer games the 16.101 drivers may still have issues.

if you want the best compatibility i would stick with the drivers provided by windows update especially if you are on windows 7

3. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Thank you :D So which benefits are on those modded drivers over the windows update provides? xD

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    main things are , improved windows 10 drawcall performance, and updated application profiles, of which mainly crossfire users may benefit,

main issue with the modded driver is that in several newer games , they use workarounds to fix bugs for older cards and they target 15.201(the last offically supported driver), as a result the work arounds are not applied to this driver due to misidentification and you will get bugs.

5. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    It's about the same as the official 16.2.1, right? Or is it better? Don't have 3DMark installed to test it out.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  6. xlollomanx

xlollomanx Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    No, this driver is not the same. It's another branch (if i'm not wrong), read OP to get proper information. In addition they provide a mix with new and old libs to get OpenCL working which is missing in official beta crimson.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It is marginally better, 1-3% if i recall.

The 16.101 branch is derived from 15.301 ,they are very similar, performance is very similar.

8. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    There's an annoying issue with all of the Crimson drivers (and partially modded Catalyst), including official 16.2.1.
    In order for display scaling to work, I have to re-enable it every time I restart my PC because it stays off (even though in the settings panel it is set to ON). And scaling 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 display doesn't work at all and the image is still stretched. Modded Catalyst doesn't have this issue however with scaling 1080 to 1200 whenever I alt-tab from a "scaled" game and back, I have to go to game settings and switch resolution from 1080 to something else and back because scaling on this resolution is broken after alt-tabbing. I don't know if the 15.11.1 have this issue.

Anyway, anything I can do to force the scaling to stay ON (keeping AR intact) and make it work properly with 1080 res on Crimson drivers? Any known regkeys that I can look into? Or is it all done exclusively via driver?
    And is there any way to use the display driver from 16.2.1 and updated RadeonSettings panel from one of the modded releases? Installing RS panel on top of the 16.2.1 drivers doesn't seem to work (at least 17.1 modded).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    inorder for newer radeon settings to work with older drivers, you have to copy the ADL libs from the new driver, scaling/customresolutions are controlled by ADL as far as i can tell. haven't tried using newer adl libs than 17.2.1.
    no idea if using a newer version would help or hinder.
    if you do use the newer adl libs i highly recommend also using the atiapfxx.exe and blb from that version as well.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  10. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    My dear buddy @User1 i got a question related about all this stuff.. What OS you recommend or think is better for this legacy cards? In example for my system which is: HD 6570 GDDR3 2gb, Intel Pentium G3220, 4gb ram ddr3. Windows 8.1 or Windows 10? I ask because i know about every release of W10 the WDDM version increases with support for new stuffs, and we are barely WDDM 1.3 xD im not sure is the OS will run better in previous OS like 8.1 because they are WDDM 1.3 based, etc. You are the one who sure knows this stuff better than me so i will pleased to read your experimented opinion. I play basically games 2015 top which run good in my GPU (DMC, Dragons Dogma, Crysis 2, BF3, BF4, Sniper Elite) and some news (BF1, Yonder The Cloud Catcher, etc) that im able to run a little decent at least and web browsing like this reading posts and learning stuff. I wanna get every little performance i can get from my setup. Thanks for your great help before btw :p

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    windows 7 would be the best option for performance , but windows 10 would definately be better than 8.1 in most cases. i hope that answers your question.

12. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Why exactly W7 will give me more performance? Bloatware in W10? Better GPU and CPU management in W7? I like to know things xD currently in W10 LTSB without any crap installed and very optimized in services, etc etc. I always tweak my windows in that ways so no process is eating anything in background hehe i can see you have the same GPU generation, which OS you currently have? xD

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I have a triple boot of windows 10/ win 7/xubuntu

I believe it has to do with the overhead of the windows 10 compositor(DWM),
    there is a performance regression with windows 10 in drawcall performance, even with the 15.301/16.101 drivers(though it is minor 1-4%),

It should be noted however that if you have a fast enough cpu I would assume performance would equalize since draw call performance increased with increased cpu clockspeeds, my xeon isn't fast enough however to prove this conclusively.

Even with my q9650 equivalent xeon @ 4.05ghz it still bottlenecks my 6870 especially in newer games.

Keep in mind the drivers for these cards are not multithreaded, so single core/memory performance matters alot more than on nvidia cards or gcn cards

14. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    So is it reallly worth that i install W7 full updated till this month for exploiting the full potential of my current rig? Including driver, processor, how many ram i have, etc. Now that you explain this to me i wonder if in some ways the cpu could lose some of performance too in some way like in the GPU drivers.. I imagine that fully recent hardware could benefit much more from W10 than older hardware like ours even if technically we are capable of running it. Im downloading right now W7 from TEAM OS fully upgraded, so that is why i keep questions, hope dont bother you so much xD

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I wouldn't worry about windows 7 if you are already setup. , your gpu will not hit a cpu bottleneck with a pentium G3220.

While Windows 7 offers the "best" performance,compared to win10 its very minimal if you aren't cpu bottlenecked, we are talking <1-3fps in the majority of cases

just leave it as is especially if you intend to upgrade the system in the future.

16. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Ohh i see mate, thanks for your time buddy, currently in the modded recommended pack and no problems at all, very good work :banana:

17. Y0!

Y0! Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD
    HP laptop, switchable graphics
    Intel HD 3000 (VEN_8086&DEV_0116)
    Radeon HD 6770M 1 GB (VEN_1002&DEV_6740)
    Whatever Windows.

The problem described here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=416035 also applies to your recommended packages. It's sad.

18. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

while i do state this in the first post, I redirect you to this

http://leshcatlabs.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=1176

these are specfically packed for switchable graphics

19. Y0!

Y0! Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD
    user1 they can't fix it either, it's inside the driver itself it seems.
    If you tell me what tests to run and what info to share for you to may be figure out how to get it fixed - I'm ready to do it, I have some free time for this.

20. mirh

mirh Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD 7750 1GB
    6770M is special.
    And nobody here has the right expertise to even try to tell you what to experiment.