My New AMD Ryzen 1800X is Dead!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by zeebaluch, Jul 7, 2017.

1. zeebaluch

zeebaluch Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 Ti AMP-E
    I'm just amazed that how can a new processor get dead so early. I have Ryzen 1800x paired with MSI X370 Gaming Titanium. All of sudden my system went down and I tried to turn it back on but it didn't then I tried every possible effort to wake my system up but no response from my mobo all lights of mobo is off. But when I took my processor off then my mobo turned on. Can you please guide me whats the exact issue? Then again i installed my processor then again everything went off. Do help members...

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Power supply issue?

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Was MSI one the boards you had be careful with auto voltages due it dangerously overvolting the vcore? can't remember which manufacturer it was.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A lot of the early recommendations that people gave I consider dangerous. This includes high CPU voltages to reach 4.0 GHz, high SOC voltages (1.2 V etc), and even high RAM voltages of 1.4 V and higher. I take it you've cleared the CMOS, and were running the latest bios when the issue occurred?

Hey, check out this deal for your motherboard at Newegg currently (had to google your motherboard model :)).

Save USD $50 w/ Intel i7 Kaby Lake CPU combo, limited offer https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144016

Cool, right?!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017

5. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Can you RMA or exchange ? This is why I always get my stuff from Microcenter,I never had a dead piece of hardware knock on wood but MC always makes things right for you.Some food for thought (future knowlege)

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What motherboard was used and what settings , overclocking , cooling , etc ... was used and or you were using when it went down ? I will try to help you out but i need lots more info in order to find out what happened.

7. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    1.2v SOC is not a problem, but recommended max for daily usage. If you have other info then please share it. Instead of just saying it's dangerous.
    Vcore is 1.425V for daily use as stated by Robert Hallock from AMD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k&feature=youtu.be&t=3m34s Starts talking about VCore at 8.25

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My Ryzen 5 1600 spiked to 100C the other night. Weird things can happen on a new platform.

Could be a bad motherboard, could be a faulty CPU. Either is a possibility. Both have electricity going through them. Back in the "AthlonXP" days, I went through several processors in a very short period of time. Some were just bad chips while some were taken out by bad motherboards. Just have to figure out which failed and whether or not it took out the other. Replace what failed and move on. You'll have to provide a lot more information first though if you want help.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I still think that it's better to play on the safe side. 1.2 V SOC and 1.425 V is high for daily use, sounds like the realm of enthusiast to me. It's also over the point of diminishing returns. If you need 1.2 V over 1.0 V to get an extra 133 MHz on the RAM or 1.425 V over 1.3 V to go from 3.9 GHz to 4.0 GHz, sorry to say but that's idiotic. Anything over a point of diminishing return is not safe for daily use and is only really 'useful' as a 'look at me' bragging point.

10. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Most BIOS versions with AGESA 1.0.0.6 defaults to 1.1v SOC. As Robert Hallock said ... The 1800x in his office needs 1.325v to do 4 GHz and the one He's using at home needs 1.4v to do 4 GHz. Point being, every chip is different. If you need 1.2v SOC to get an extra 133 MHz .. so what ? It's still within safe limits.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I still argue it's high, platform is still immature and safe limits long term are not established. As soon as you need to raise the voltages considerably for a small gain you are past any hypothetical safe limit. I'm not saying don't overclock, just do it sensibly and not pass the point of diminishing return.

12. zeebaluch

zeebaluch Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 Ti AMP-E
    I have mentioned my mobo in my thread above and yes i have overclocked my processor at 4.0Ghz and never gets hot. Just look my issue, when my processor is installed in socket there is no power in mobo but when i take my processor off then my mobo gets on and its Diag code shows on mobo is 00. That Means my system doesnt power up at all when processor is installed.. pls now tell me the issue pls..

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Either CPU, mobo or PSU are faulty.
    Thats it.

14. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Seems to me more likely you just got unlucky with a dodgy processor rather than some inherent OC issue, however you still have to rule out the MB and PSU.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This ^

You will need to test each one of those components yourself , ie: You will need another Ryzen cpu to test in your motherboard to see if it boots and post ok , if it does post ok with another cpu and boot into bios and enter windows then and only then you will know if your Ryzen cpu truly died or not.

If it does not boot ok and still showing the same problem then you will need to do the same with another AM4 motherboard , You will need another AM4 motherboard to test your Ryzen cpu to see if it boots and post ok , if it does post ok with another motherboard and boot into bios and enter windows it is definitely the motherboard and not the Ryzen cpu that died.

If any of the above does not work ( Testing another cpu + another am4 motherboard ) then you will need to test a different power supply unit to see if it boots ok , if it boots into bios and windows then you will know at this time the problem was the psu all along. There is no way around it , the testing of each component must be done to truly ruled out the other components. That's all you got to do , troubleshoot those components , as nobody can really tell you what the issue is and what went wrong and why , that's impossible. Good luck and i hope you get it running soon.

Regards: Chispy

16. dean469

dean469 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480GTR @1385
    Check all the electrical connections to the motherboard first. Main connector and cpu connection. Try a different wall socket, before you do all that other stuff. Start with the simplest easiest thing, and go from there.

Good luck.

17. okejokej

okejokej Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD7750 1GB
    It's been a while now, and as I'm considering an upgrade to Ryzen, I had to register just to ask: any update to the story?

If there's none, personally I think it's more likely for the MB to fail than CPU. Given the symptoms, perhaps one or more of CPU socket power phases have failed?

Another thing I noticed is that it seems your PSU is a modular one. I'd say the "all of sudden" could be you hitting the desk or the case lightly, causing an incorrectly inserted and/or faulty 8-pin CPU power cable to lose its connection with the PSU.

18. zeebaluch

zeebaluch Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 Ti AMP-E
    Finally sort out my issue. It was my mobo faulty OMG so disappointed with MSI. Though its so expensive board and died like cheap mobo. Now what to do?? As my country doesn't have MSI distribution

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Contact MSI support online and ship it to them.
    Thats assuming you cant take it back to where you bought it.
    You may have a shop warranty.

20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This is for the Silver Msi board?> Titanium? That is like the very top dog board WOW I am really surprised.