Review: Core i7 7740X processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is time to check out that new quad core Core i7 7740X from Intel. Yes this is Kaby Lake-X, a more affordable processor that you will need to seat on a X299 motherboard. Albeit limited towards dual-...

Review: Core i7 7740X processor

2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Why get Kaby Lake-X over boring regular KL? You can fry some eggs why you game :D!

Neat that you were able to get it to 5.2ghz stable but those temps were awful.

3. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Nice review HH,

5.2GHz is impressive, especially for an ES chip.

A quad core on Intel's HEDT platform in 2017 does seem a bit out of touch.

I think even Threadripper's cheapest chip will smash this in multi-threaded loads but then that's not really what the 7740X is about.

There are people out there that will not be touching Ryzen or TR for various reasons but don't have a need for the new i9 range, to those people I say wait for Coffee Lake.

4. Hmm 5.2GHz, nice sample! That could be a very nice CPU for daily use if you delid it.

Now just give me 8c/16t alternative and I'm ready for upgrade :)

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    If you want a 8c/16t "alternative", ryzen has been out for months now.

6. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Noticed at the end of the review that there was PCIe gen 3 and PCIe Gen 3 version 2.... what are the differences?

Beyond that, the pricing for this is very odd, here in the UK there is only a £20 between this chip and the 6/12 core 7800x. i'm not sure why you would pick this over that one if you was looking at this price range in the first place

7. Good joke :)

8. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Thanks for letting us know

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It is a typo.There is no PCie Express 3.0 Gen 2. It is PCIe 2.0 which is Gen 2 and PCIe 3.0 which is Gen 3 aka the 3rd generation of PCI-Express.

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Great review.
    Despite bringing some improvements, entire X generation looks more like a stopgap than evolution.
    And then it stumbles on several key points which I thought Hilbert has caught rather well.

I am cluless at this point which CPU to get. A mere R5 1600 might get job done, yet not even 800 € i7-7820 ticks all the boxes.

11. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Why would you call that a joke?

The AMD 1700 is better in almost everything not gaming related.
    I actually LOLed (not proud of using this word) when i saw the Cinebench results vs the 1700.
    It cost a little less and uses almost half the power, comes with a decent cooler too.
    An added bonus for me was that i could fit my AM2+ Scythe Zipang cooler on the AM4 socket because it is still compatible.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I'm not sure how a cpu that isn't shipping yet is "recommended". And in terms of what's actually shipping and available, if you were to revise your very nice "bang for the buck" value chart at the end of the review to show only *shipping cpus*, the reviewed CPU would not even be on the list, eh? I mean, there's no real question as to what is the "better" cpu--it's a cpu available for purchase by your reading audience, I'd say. What's the point in comparing vaporware cpus to shipping cpus in terms of value? Good review, though--and an honest review overall, even if you don't yet have any production-run X Intel cpus to test yet, against shipping Ryzen cpus & shipping Intel i7's *cough*...;)

13. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Could Intel have enabled the extra pcie lanes and dimm slots with this chip or is there a per core limit?

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I don't need to revise anything, because if you'd open up your eyes and, much like I always do, took the effort to even look before making a such a comment you'd have noticed these processors are widely available worldwide:

I took the liberty of checking what country you are from, here you go.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

16. SYCOMED

SYCOMED Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080ti ftw3
    how comes the 7700k is only in one of the gaming benchmarks.

17. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    Great review as always, straight to the point, good 5.2Ghz the temps not so good.
    from a future proof point of view 4C/8T is really not the way to go.
    guess my long overdue planed upgrade will have to wait a little longer, i'm looking at you 27th of July :nerd:then will see what's what.

18. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    @Hilbert
    Really nice chart at the end, it deserves it's own page in every review. If u could average 1 or 2 extra benchmarks in there it would be perfect.

19. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Quad core is so 2007.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Either they need to start to make some serious kick arse CPU's or game developers need to take more advantage of multiple cores, can't see any reason to upgrade from what I got for everyday usage, gaming and running a DAW.