PlayStation 4 games will be playable on PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kcajjones

kcajjones Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 470 1.28GB
    Tried it and the lag was too bad. It must be a couple of hundred milliseconds at least as there was an easily noticeable delay in controller input vs game movement.

Also noticed an obvious lack of video quality vs playing on a ps4 without streaming.

Wasn't impressed at all.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Perhaps I can finally try out Metal Gear + Killzone without buying actual consoles.

Sounds great, lets see how well it will go down the road.

As kcajjones stated above, that is the most common problem with streaming services, however im sure they will polish and improve it along the way.

Sounds good!

4. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    ohhh ps4 games on pc .. im in! .... wait?.. streaming ... im out -.-

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Demon Souls on PC

[​IMG]

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    *On a PS4, streamed to a monitor, like youtube, with console control input support, no keyboard/mouse.

Honestly, there's nothing about playstation now that makes these games available on a PC, because that implies the benefits of using a PC, of which it has none. You don't get to control your resolution, you don't get to choose your type of controls, you don't get to choose your graphics quality. All you get to do is stream a PS4 image onto a PC screen, and have a console controller controlling that PS4 image from very, very far away. Basically, all playstation now is, is a PS4/3 - hardware costs of the PS4/3 + latency = worse experience.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They will be "streamable", not "playable".

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    PlayStation Now as a SmartTV app is something very interesting, but not on a PC.

I could live with the latency, but not the image quality.

Is it not 720/30 and compressed to hell?
    Yep, looks to be, stereo sound as well.

9. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    Shame they're still are doing this, I tried it a couple of years ago and didn't find it too bad tbh playing Last of Us where lag wasn't really an issue but the fact they've kept resolution so low for PS4 stuff makes it not even worth a trial account for me.

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    . It doesnt imply you can set everything like a native pc game. its pretty clear to me its a streaming service. just like spotify.
    I dont need to to control resolution, quality is ok-ish. its not terrible as people make it out to be tbh.
    Building a emulator for pc gives a lot of problems. One of the reasons why microsoft chose their way of backwards compatibility. (which is download the game when you got the disc inserted).
    looking at emulators, well ps2/gamecube ones still have problems. that just says all about it.

it stands and falls with people's internet connection though.
    Would be nice if they would create a benchmark test to see if it makes sense for people to get it at all.
    in case people start to blame sony, when they should look at other things.
    Things will improve as well over time, better compression, less latency. This is the future when it comes to playing anything you want.

11. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    You had to know Sony would stick it to us PC users somehow :nerd:.

12. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    PS4 games playable on PC via streaming service is a huge disappointment.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Oh, that means I can watch a video of myself trying to play a video game. Oh, wait... Nah, thanks.

14. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    You just assume streaming is a bad thing. I personally played through Red Dead Redemption in December without a hiccup.

I got way more use out of psnow than 100 bucks. Once all your internets catch up (100/10 here) psnow isnt that bad. Competitive FPS is out tho.

15. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    But what's the point in saying "Yay (insert game here) is on PC!" when it reality it is not? I'm not trying to be nitpicky here, i just don't understand being excited for something that it isn't?

I'm not saying that streaming is bad, i personally don't like it, but i understand why some people do. But none of these games are available on the PC, or even playable on the PC. Playable through as an interface, and only an interface, sure, but it's not playable ON the PC.

In general, it's not bandwidth that is an issue, it is latency. Sure, improvements can be made to optimize server/client software to minimize latency, but you can't get rid of it all. A faster internet connection will not matter if you're too far away from one of the playstation now servers, or the route that its taking is longer then it should, or you have a bad connection consistantly somewhere between you and the server you are hooked up to.

Honestly, game streaming isn't exciting to me unless there is a server in every single city with 30,000+ people in it, and that'll likely never happen.

You can't beat light speed.

As far as i can tell, you can't even tell where the server locations are for playstation now, which basically means "try our service, and hope you are near one of our servers"

18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I could use this, for RPG games that never hits PC platform, like Persona 4 :) internet connection speed should be no issue here for me.

19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I don't know...garbage in...garbage out...;) Just because you stream it to a far more powerful Windows box isn't going to make it any better...and it will likely be worse because of unavoidable delays and lags. An in-depth review would be nice, however, at least to read and look at...;) With plenty of IQ comparisons...

20. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Yep. I suspect they have to have some custom support for each version of the PS Now app, and it wasn't doing enough business to support the maintenance.

I think we'll see Sony scuttle the service completely within a year or two. It requires a top-of-the-line Network to implement well (which is still inferior to local hardware), and Sony has the cheapest, crappiest network of the three major platforms. If they can't afford to build a network as good as Valve has, they will never get Streaming off the ground. Hell, even if they did, that hasn't helped GeForce Now...

Personally, I'll never use streaming. I tried PS Now a while back and it was unplayable, then Sony terminated my stream 5 minutes in due to low bandwidth. While it was working, the controller lag was atrocious.