Review: MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the a premium X299 motherboard, the MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK. A nice motherboard in dark accents that is loaded with features and design. This X299 motherboard can house Kaby-Lake-X and Skylak...

Review: MSI X299 Gaming M7 ACK motherboard

2. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    on the overclocking page you said "this gigabyte board" isn't it suppose to be MSI?

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    FWIW I recently bought a 7820x and a MSI x299 SLI Plus board. I overclocked it to 4.8Ghz@1.25v and max temps under P95 Blend are 64c. SmallFFT makes it go up to ~85c. In gaming I've yet to go past 60c.

That being said I am on a custom loop with a EK Supremacy. I think I might delid it at some point in the future -- but overall I'm pretty happy with the chip.

4. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Why do nobody review the 7800x? And very few 7820x reviews out there.
    Need to know thermals and overclock on none golden chipps (i never get lucky in the lottery)

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I really wanted to go EVGA again this go round but their boards were not (and are still not) readily available.

I like MSI and I went with the Gaming Pro Carbon AC, very happy with it.

JM2C

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel doesn't seed these. The articles out there simply lock cores in the BIOS, insert roughly similar frequencies and call it a review.

I should get my hands on a Core i7-7740X soon though.

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If that's the case it is a lot cooler than the 7900x, guessing a good AIO would get very similar performance in terms of the temps. You got any photos you can share for proof reasons? the 7820x has interested me for awhile now, was just worried about the temps i've been hearing about

8. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So after reading all motherboard/cpu reviews from our HH, so far overclocking of 7900X on X299 is...

[​IMG]

9. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I like how this board has the full 7 PCIe slots, so I could continue running tri-SLI in slots 1, 3 and 7 like I currently do.

10. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    love how you try overclocking in every single review with a good AIO watercooler and basically fail to achieve anything with this new X299 socket. It always hits 100c on every single board! What a useless socket to buy.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's a little bit warmer in my room today:

http://i.imgur.com/DDCUpxg.jpg

But yeah, 7820x isn't that bad. In gaming it's like 6-8 degrees lower on average than those numbers. Like in the 3D Mark combo test, if I loop it 10 times, the highest temps I see are 58-60 - and that test pegs the CPU a fair amount for a game.

I'm pretty sure I could get this chip to 5Ghz pretty easily honestly - I just don't know if I care to.

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    7740X, though it overclocks very nicely, temps are again not good. This is on LCS:

[​IMG]