NVidia Fermi Cards Get D3D 12 Support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you are on an older card from the Fermi generation (400 and 500 series), then the new Nvidia driver might be intesresting for you. Fermi is the codename for a GPU microarchitecture developed byNv...

NVidia Fermi Cards Get D3D 12 Support

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Now we need some benches ;)

Half-joking, actually. There's many people out there who still rock that 560 Ti at 720p :D

3. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Wow, that took them a little more time than expected. I've got an ultra slow GT 620 with Fermi GPU to test.
    I believe now they have to bring async support for Maxwell cards. That's another thing they promised in the past, but haven't seen yet.

4. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    My GTX 460 is still rocking @ 1080p in my second rig. It's running Linux so I'm not too concerned about DX12, but hey, very cool that it could run it if needed.

5. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Nope. GT 620 (rebranded GT 430) still shows as DX 11. So, this DX12 support is at least questionable if true.

Hmmm... how do I delete stupid posts? Didn't tested under Windows 10.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Got rid of my bugged 460SE in 2013 because of lack of driver support.
    Nvidia can kiss my ass.

7. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    In my opinion, the GTX580 was the best card they ever made to date. The raw power, tweak-ability and longevity in the market is almost unsurpassed.
    Still have some left in my collection even !

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    The nv control panel still reports direct x 11.2 as being the max supported api
    but if you look in dxdiag the DDI version is 12,it will run time spy, very very slowly.

have tried to get the Civ 6 demo to run, but it refuses since it has some kind of card detection before attempting open a d3d12 instance, on kepler cards it will complain its not maxwell, for fermi it seems it has no idea what it is.

The windows 10 store also doesn't detect it properly either.(edit: looks like the store has updated to fix it, time to give forza a try)

almost seems like it was enabled by accident. lmao :funny:

9. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    560 Ti 1 GB owner here. I intend to give Rise of the Tomb Raider a run, to see if it will allow me to run it in DX12.

EDIT: Ok, did quite a few runs in both DX11 and DX12. It's either slightly better or slightly worse. Nothing concludent. Better to stick to DX11 and use DX12 if it's like the Windows Store only release of Gears of War Remastered, Forza Horizon 3 or Quantum Break.

10. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Looks like Fermi got some FineWine™

11. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Seems like the DX12 driver itself isn't that polished, based on what users on other forums have posted.
    I guess another issue is that Fermi is running non-optimized DX12 paths because the games have only gotten optimizations for Kepler and later.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Whoah! still supporting 7 year old gpu's

13. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I got GTX 580 what i use but no time to do bench's . Maybe much, much later.

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Is there any practical benefit for implementing DX12 on Fermi GPUs? I mean they're really old GPUs now - so there's not gonna be any DX12 games that would run properly on those old cards anyway right?

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Forza 6 apex doesn`t work, unfortunately Despite saying that dx12 tier 11_0 is supported, what they really mean is dx 12 tier 11_0 resource binding tier 2, fermi is tier 1, so much for that. i do not expect any windows 10 store based apps to work correctly as a result of this, since they pretty much all follow the xbone standard and they dont enforce minimum level support.

Seems like there was pretty much zero point for nvidia to enable dx 12, since the only apps that are gonna be dx 12 only are on the windows 10 store which probably will not support fermi. and Im gonna guess that no developers are gonna write in a fermi specific path for dx12 on since it is both old and has a low user base.

GG

if the windows 10 store enforced minimum requirements properly then yes it would work enough to play games like gears of war 4,which would otherwise be unavailable. but they don`t seem to enforce their requirements strictly so it will be hit or miss.

fermi may also benefit from a fermi specific dx12 path but the likelyhood any developer would bother is low considering how well optmized the dx 11 drivers already are.

16. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    They will as long as their latest GPUs are based on SM + year or two.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i am still amazed people think DX12 support is will bring new life to old cards, if any thing it will be worse, cause DX 12 requires DEV to do MORE more work, and they been getting lazy over the years

18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Maybe my laptops will get a small boost with their nvs 4200 and 5200

19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I can't agree on this, as a owner of 570 and then 670. We have to admit that the 5XX serie was pushing too hard. They were generating way too much heat and were way too power hungry compared to the serie 6xx.

Serie 6xx was really something. 980-ti was a a great buy later on. Now everything feel too expensive, for me at least.