AMD Vega Frontier Edition Unboxed and Benchmark

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    That the hell are you talking about?!

Is this improvement?
    [​IMG]

9 months gives you 0.3% improved performance if they do not make bug for your GPU that will lock your clock speeds...

The only reason why you think you are getting better performance is because they make optimizations for games which are tested by most reviewers and because up to polaris (probably vega too), every single GCN card is basically the same with some minor tweaks.
    If you take a look at nV cards, you will see that with each iteration of their SM arch, they reduces number of CUDA cores per SM core which makes iterations more different. Another reason is that nV literally have real day1 ready drivers for most of the games, AMD still needs some time to figure it out how to maximize utilization of their 5+ years old arch...

On top of that, just by not fixing UVD issue, because UVD also need tweaks in order to meet new standards, using term " fine-wine technology" is just wrong

2. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This is actually not a bad score given the fact that this is a early driver, a much weaker system than the one used on the rest of the benchmarks. As well as this is not a consumer gaming product and thus is clocked lower. So maybe we will see the watercooled Vega kicking the 1080ti.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Ahh, the internet never ceases to amaze me. How much more obvious do I have to make it? :bang:

4. Guru3dreader

Guru3dreader Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    There is always the case of "With a new driver performance will fix, with a new firmware performance will fly". But let's ignore this fantasy.

AMD started working on Vega when there was only a GTX 1080 from the competition, so that was their target. Time passed, probably because HBM memory turn back on them and hit them like a boomerang, probably because of AMD's financials, probably because everyone was focusing on Ryzen, or maybe all of the above reasons and a few more. 1080 Ti came out and people's needs changed from a 1080 competitor to a 1080 ti competitor. AMD's plans can't change as fast as people's wishes. Also AMD had to consider who would address. Fans, or huge corporations like Google and Allibaba?

Vega is to Fiji what Pascal was to Maxwell, with a little Volta in it. A die shrink at a higher frequency, with much better compute capabilities in the AI and deep learning areas. People might call it a disappointment, but for me it is what I was expecting. Maybe GF's 7nm will be better to offer some kind of advantage to AMD. Maybe in a couple of years AMD will have much healthier financials to become again a true competitor to Nvidia. Until then people shouldn't demand miracles.

5. includao

includao Guest

GPU:
    970 GTX
    Drivers won't do any miracle. If AMD wants to release this as a gaming card they better sell it cheaper.

6. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I dont think they would have said "oh ok the 1080 is out so lets compete with that since Volta and GP100 dont exist in our minds", despite people having known about them for the last four years.

Vega competes quite well with Pascal in many workloads, but it isnt up to Voltas performance, but it also costs 1/12 as much as V100.

7. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Indeed, you got that one right. I only believe in things that I can see with my own eyes. I am really sorry for not being able to be fanboy to agree with you.
    And reason why is there 1100 mhz for newer driver used and not for 16.7.2, with 16.7.2 GPU never works at 1100MHz, and with newer driver, you will actually degrade your general performance in case of 1st gen GCN if you forget to restart your driver every time you use UVD (Unified Video Decoder). That is a fact unless you can't can see results on graph.

I cant say that I am sorry for choosing to believe in my personal tests over tests done by reviewers/youtubers or AMD/nV/intel.

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Anyone else notice Hilbert added this last line to the text :
    "I want to make note that the guy uses an early driver, Radeon Vega Frontier Edition 17.6 with base driver version 17.20.1035 and that is not the gaming optimized driver set."

Also, if you look at the GPU-Z screenshot, it shows Crimson Edition Driver 17.1.1

Waiting for a full, proper review before I accept any results.

9. ruggafella

ruggafella Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 8G
    I think that was a display error showing the wrong driver version. According to WhyCry:

WhyCry:
    The driver from January would not even recognize Frontier.
    He used the latest driver from AMD website. I checked. And it's called 17.6 or 17.20* not 17.1.1
    * "Radeon™ Vega Frontier Edition 17.6 with base driver version 17.20.1035."

10. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    They did however say that it was built by a different team and that it would provide higher efficiency. From the looks of it they failed, I have no desire to have 300w power monsters in any systems.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Ah, cheers for clearing that up.

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Has money for Vega FE
    Streams low quality with shaky cam
    I try to watch to get any useful info
    When I see his mining rig I'm completely triggered

Ya, miners will buy Vega. AMD has nothing to worry about :banana:

13. McNasty

McNasty Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 Classy SLI
    The thing is...

He didn't run Fire Strike Ultra, which is the "4K" benchmark. He ran the "Fire Strike" test, which is for 1080P single GPU benchmarks. The way you can tell is that his benchmarks read "Fire Strike 1.1" which is the version of that test.

The Fire Strike Ultra test will read "Fire Strike Ultra" and nothing more (see screenshot).

He bascially ran the wrong test, and actually thought is PC is 600% faster than Vega & 1080Ti's. And know one caught it, interesting....I will post links in my next post since I have fewer than five posts.

14. McNasty

McNasty Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 Classy SLI
    He ran the wrong test...

Links to the two different Fire Strike tests...

"Fire Strike" test, which is for 1080P single GPU benchmarks. The way you can tell is that his benchmarks read "Fire Strike 1.1" which is the version of that test. See below
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12995342

The Fire Strike Ultra test will read "Fire Strike Ultra" and nothing more (see screenshot). It looks like this...
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12995285

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    We know the difference between ultra and standard on FireStrike. He did not provide a link to a score at first so I did not want to assume he was running a different bench.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sometimes people make mistake. Anyway, considering that certain compute results are within margin of error from Fiji even with boosted clocks, we can assume few things:
    1) Driver still has long way to go.
    2) GPU itself is very limited by memory clock or latency
    3) There is internal power limiter present and active.
    4) There is need for some changes in vBIOS.

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If he bought it in the UK, he can try it out for a few days, or even more, and then send it back for a refund.
    Not saying he will, but he could.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    [​IMG]

Simply going by this I would think something is massively wrong. 1600mhz Fury X would be closer to a 1080 ti then 1080 easy.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes, proly so.
    But don't forget that THAT card up there comes with 22% more bandwidth than Vega FE.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well yes. But I don't believe it would make that big of a difference.

Of course even on Fury X the bandwidth wasn't exactly as advertised.

[​IMG]

http://techreport.com/review/28513/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-graphics-card-reviewed/4

If they got the theoretical max out better with hbm2 Vega might have more bandwidth stock form. And of course it is still 480gb/s vs 484gb/s on a 1080 ti.

Anyway too many questions, way too few answers.