MSI: Radeon RX Vega needs a lot of power

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't have my GTX980 anymore but with the 1080/1080Ti I had/have both connected to my Marantz 6011 with no major issues. The only thing that annoys me is when I install a new driver, it sets the audio out back to my U2715H. I don't get any problems with handshaking, applications crashing, having to restart the receiver, etc though. I also often switch between my PC output and Nvidia Shield, don't get any problems switching back other then Windows re-adjusting the desktop icons and whatnot.

So whatever the issue is either got fixed with Pascal or it's something with your particular setup.

2. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    AS I said I tested on more than one setup.
    i7-2600k and 1800x same problem
    3 different 980ti, same problem
    2 different receivers, Denon and Pioneer same problem.

No problem on 7970 and 280 so I would say it's not setup.

It's happening when nvkerner dll crash, 1st video drops and then reappear again a few seconds later. Sometimes when this happens audio stops (can see volume meter going up and down but no sounds coming). This can sometimes fix by going to playback devices and disabling and enabling again but in one out of three attempts, nothing happens and I need to restart the computer to fix it.

Nvidia driver crash happens more often depending on how long PC runs and it evidently does not like running game and having a browser with flash opened which makes it happen more often.

I can also say it was gradually happening more often with new driver updates going from like one a week to more like 3-5 times a day.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Since you're trying to be funny:

A = optimized Fiji
    A' = unoptimized Fiji
    B = die shrink
    B' = die unshrink

Vega1 = A and B
    Vega2 = Vega1' = (A and B)' = A' or B' (De Morgan's Law)
    So: unoptimized Fiji or die unshrink

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just so you know that is not the HDMI bug that was being referred too. It's an old bug that caused washed out colors over HDMI.

My question is why are you getting driver crashes?

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Driver shouldn't be crashing. There's your problem. ;)

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    hehe

Seriously though, it's the largest GCN revision to date. Some are even arguing it isn't really GCN anymore. New command processor, new SIMD units, tile-based rasterization and rendering, larger L2 with every ROP as a client to it, different and more triangle units, all that at 1.6GHz.

I wonder about the final frequencies of the gaming parts, since AMD is selling the MI25 as a passively cooled GPU under 300W, clocked at 1.5GHz.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Vega Frontier has a 300w TDP for the aircooled edition and a 375w TDP for the WC one. It's running at 1.6Ghz. I imagine the gaming parts will have the same specs honestly, just 8GB of HBM, which might actually lower power a bit?

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Fair enough. I wonder if the power will equal similar temps, or if it will be more of a Ryzen situation (using quite a lot of power when overclocked, but keeping temps quite low).

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    All I could find is unverified information on newegg that TDP is 300W for what it seems like air cooled card: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105073

water cooled card is shown on other places but looks the same, has 2 8pin power conns etc. Where did you find the TDP info on it?

Logically, the power conn allows for 375W power consumption, but that doesn't mean it will be the final draw?!

edit:
    this is the best I could find:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105074

Under specs. Few other sites show the same.

And yeah, 375w TDP doesn't necessarily mean it's going to draw 375w but so far that's all we have to go by and historically AMD's has either matched or exceeded it's TDP listings.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    interesting. On the link above, from new egg, for that same card, just air cooled, under specs it says 300W. On the other site I linked, it says that the aircooled and water cooled models are the same, except for cooling. :S I guess we wont know for sure until they come out.
    Either way, those are not gaming cards, those are "pro" cards with 1000$+ price tags.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    0 issues here with Onkyo receiver. So yeah.

13. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    Sounds like you need to do a clean install of your nvidia drivers. HDMI shouldn't be giving you driver crashes all the time...something is wrong with your computer.

Just another anecdote, I've been running NV cards (670, 970, 1060 most recently) to Onkyo and Yamaha receivers for literally decades. At my house and a few friends or family members I've set up systems for. Ever since HDMI came out I've been using it to play music/videos/internets from my computer and never have issues.

Also try swapping cables - maybe your HDMI cable is crap.

14. DeOdVue

DeOdVue Guest

GPU:
    AMD, HD5850
    To all the fan boys and girls of NV and AMD included INTEL and the ladies and gems

What's wrong with 300W Graphic card?:infinity:

POWER USAGES and POWER AVAILABLE are 2 (TWO) different thing! If the performance/watt is good base on whatever we are reference on than 250W and 300W are awesomeee! The more the better.:banana:

Power available is only a part of the Graphic Card design specification!

We had no information in regarding to Vega performance than how can we compared?:bang:

Cheer!

{@}
    ^(^
    Peace!

15. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    P100 and V100 are both 300W as well.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Obviously if the card performs equivalent to 1153 GTX1080Ti's no one is going to care that it's 300w. The problem is that every video we've seen of Vega currently, is that the performance is sitting somewhere between a 1080 and 1080Ti. Is it possible it will be faster when it launches? Absolutely. But without rumors/evidence of that, people are always going to assume the worst.

17. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I don't know, people have been silly about power usage lately.

I hope decent reviews will roll around with the FE launch so we can all stop speculating and get facts.

18. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    The specs listed on AMDs site indicate its peak theoretical FLOPS and memory bandwidth puts it close to the $5,500 GP102 P40 and the $10,000 P100 for a fraction of the cost.

http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/frontier/

Even if P100 is more powerful, you can literally buy 9 Vegas for the price of one.

Vega beats GP102 on paper and costs 1/5 as much. You do the math.

Thats why AMDs stock is seeing huge volume and investors are EXTREMELY bullish. Ive always been nothing buy Intel and Nvidia, but if i needed a new machine it would probably be all AMD after seeing what theyve done.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes but the Gaming Vega will be the same core basically as FE. P/V100 are not GeForce cards the P102 has a lot of stuff from P100 removed. V102 will likely be the same.

20. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Whats your point? GP102 is a 250W part. Big Vega is 300W but it has features like P100(16GB HBM2, ECC) and also has somewhat stripped down DP perf like GP102, so it is filling the role of two completely different Nvidia GPUs.

If your machine doesnt need a ton of DP performance, then Vega is the obvious choice.

For gaming, itll use 50W more than GP102 but if youre buying a massive GPU like GP102 or big Vega, i dont think 50W is a dealbreaker, especially since it should outperform GP102 based on its specs.

Big Vega is a very versatile chip that will be in machine learning focused supercomputers, servers, workstations and consumer desktops and its a fraction of the cost of either of Nvidias competing products for most applications. We will have to see how they price the consumer big Vega.

I imagine that there will be several petascale systems using Epyc and Vega in the works very soon.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017