MSI: Radeon RX Vega needs a lot of power

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2017.

1. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Let be real here-- why in the world would AMD want to do anything to REDUCE the sales of their GPUs??? lol man, they are a business-- if they could sell 5 million GPUs at a profitable price to someone who just wanted to grind them up to make play sand, do you not think they would do it??!

They would.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Back in the analogue VGA days Nvidia used cheaper RAMDACs (as well as inferior VRMs). It was however Matrox I believe which had the best 2d quality of all.. but they were unusable for gaming.

3. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Not really, there are plenty custom versions with even 330W+ power draw and so far measured consumption on 1080ti went as high as 385W.

4. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Don't remind me about Nvidia HDMI bugs, they are still there and even looks getting worse.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm sure Kingpin has one that goes to like 500w but we aren't talking about custom designs. The stock WC RX Vega has a 375w TDP. The stock 1080Ti has a 250w TDP but can peak up to ~280.

That's not even to mention that the custom designs are clocked at what, ~1950mhz? I can do that on my Ti while downvolting the card, with zero throttling. The custom designs basically just waste power for no performance gain.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No bugs here. HDMI 2.0 on 4k 4:4:4 chroma, couldnt ask for more. Anyway, back on topic. I think the delays with Vega had something to do with power/performance. They may have intended to use less power but kept bumping up clock speeds to get near the Ti.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Why all the premature ejaculation? In the end, all that matters to most of the people will be price/performance, not how much power they use. Seeing that systems usually use under 400W in total (and that's rare, usually they use bellow 350W) and still they buy 700+ W PSUs tells you that everyone will be fine. Unless miners get to the cards first :D

edit: is it me or you people forget to read "total system consumption" when reading the graphs? ;)

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Sure, but problem is competition. If we have 2 similarly performing cards at near same price, would you buy the more power hungry one?

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    No, I would always buy nVidia :D Jokes aside (though I am serious, I go for AMD only when nVidia is too expensive, which is like, always) I get what you are trying to say and yes, I should buy less power hungry one. That said, AMD always sells them cheaper. I don't think they will have a problem at all if everything save for power consumption, is good.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    For a little fun, let's be real here. Read the sentence after the one bolded; DOH. Yellow journalism is so easy and will leave it there.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    To be honest, at that point it would be a matter of brand preference. Do not use the rig intensely enough for it to matter one way or the other. Other words it is still a subjective choice no matter how one looks at it.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wasnt 1st batch of RX Vega designes for computing and deep **** learning?

13. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    It does seem as if Vega is nothing more than an optimized Fiji + die shrink.

You wouldn't think it would take almost 4 years to tweak an existing design and manufacture it on a smaller process node. ATI used to have some really good GPU engineers, wonder how many moved on due to the beaten down state of the company in the last few years....

That said, I have a feeling it will at least match 1080Ti, but will definitely live up to its "Volcanic Islands" moniker in doing so....:bang:

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    well the 290 when i brought my 770 was just 10 euros more expensive and 5% max 10% faster but had to wait a week or so to get it so i decided to go with the 770% in general 5~10% means if one card can not run one game the other can't either although in the long run that bit me in the ass i would much prefer to have the 290 nowdays !

it carries the same amount of pipelines but the gpu it self have major redesigns .

15. Evele

Evele Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Good, maybe it'll keep the damned miners away.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It actually does seem like the complete opposite.

17. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    = "Vega is nothing more than an unoptimized Fiji + die unshrink."

:3eyes:

18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    770 is way cooler and makes less noise than 290, and uses less power and this that this that...it has it's own benefits. Sure, it's slower but...
    Let's just say I had 280X 5 days ago, then I got this card (in my sig) I feel like I have a next gen card. It's quiet, cool and fast. But at the time I got 280X this card I have now was twice as much money. So yea...:3eyes:
    770 4GB is still a good card. No one owning one is missing anything unless you are into 1600p or god forbid 4K...

19. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    All AMD cards - at least since the introduction of GCN - are known to be decent to superb undervolters. Think the Fury series alone could drop from ~275W under load to ~220W by taking away the VCore overhead. Perhaps the trend continues.

290/390(X) cards weren't that bad either and potential throttling and temperatures could be held at bay.

Reddit also claims that somewhere in the comment it someone replied that "This doesn't bode well" to which "Entirely depends on the performance ;) " was replied.

Anyhow, soon™ :nerd:

20. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Then you can call yourself lucky, for me on 980ti, going thru HDMI over AV receiver is a pain in the ass. Every time Nvidia driver restarts it breaks HDMI handshake (which cause some application to freeze or die) and sometimes kill HDMI audio.
    That HDMI audio is super annoying because sometimes it's enough to disable and enable the device to recover sound, but in about 30% cases it needs a full restart.

And I know it's not Windows, GPU, computer HW or AV receiver because I change each 2-3 times already but the problem is still there (and it does not happen with AMD GPUs I tried -7970, 280).
    That HDMI audio is super annoying because sometimes its enough to disable and enable the device to recover sound, but in 30% situations it needs full restart.

I think delay is caused by mainly Hynix delays with HBM2 plus other things, including driver/power problems as you stated.