MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

[offtopic mode]
    Cannot count how many "polite" words from AMD fanboys I've seen in AMD drivers threads last months because of that issue. Quote from Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.6.1 release notes:

Fixed Issues
    Adjusting memory clocks in some third party overclocking applications may cause a hang on Radeon R9 390 Series products.

I'd love to see the comments from those who claimed to have insider info from AMD on the nature of this issue and insisted that third party devs are just lazy to update their bugged OC tools to be compatible with perfect AMD driver. Hehe.
    [/offtopic mode]

Back to the topic, new beta of RTSS with more new cool OSD customization features is on the way and expected within a week or so.

2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    looking forward to it

3. Enclose

Enclose Member

GPU:
    GTX 980TI
    ****. so i have to wait until 7.0.0 is out of beta. thanks anway :/

4. Unwinder

Wrong. You don't have to wait until 7.0.0 is out of beta. You have to wait until this game anticheat whitelist is updated.

5. seven09

seven09 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Really liking the OSD zoom function. Would be nice to have hotkey function to zoom/unzoom OSD size without alt-tabbing out and configuring in RTSS? Sometimes I am experimenting with higher resolutions in-game and OSD can be either too large or too small. Unless the function already exists and I can't find the setting?

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Mr. Unwinder sorry bothering you. I would like to ask tour opinion. Even with unlocked voltage and temperatures under 70 degrees, my 390X cannot be oc'ed without crash or artifacts. MSI support told me that AB was the only thing i can do. So what? I have the shi**iest 390X in history? Only stock clocks forced?

As you are programmer of AB, this behavior of my GPU isn't eligible for RMA?

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    No idea what the exact model your 390X GPU is but after a quick search those results in your specs look to be pretty good if it's a stock GPU.

Each GPU will have different results too so even with with voltage increases (Not just the threshold thing for max power draw.) that might be the cap for this particular one, it's not just down to temperature. :)
    (A few people managed 1600 for RAM but pushing up the voltage seems to really increase the temperature too.)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. Unwinder

New RTSS beta is expected on Monday. In addition to recently added text formatting tags we've got one more cool feature now: you can display a hypertext instead of plain text info now and embed objects like graphs and so on into OSD. The feature is freely available to any third party application using RTSS to render OSD (e.g. AIDA, HwInfo etc) so you can expect similar history graphs in those applications in nearest future. The OSD in this video is rendered by open source RTSSharedMemorySample application included in RTSS SDK, so you can easily examine the source and learn how to do the same from your own application:

9. Vulkan

Vulkan Guest

GPU:
    Zotac Mini GTX 1070
    Cooooool!!! :)

10. logicPwn

logicPwn Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Very cool indeed!

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Thats nice!

12. zipeldiablo

zipeldiablo Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Hi guys, i have an issue with the beta.
    The palette only works for the statistics related to the gpu, but framerate and other things are in a separate color.
    Any idea on how i can fix that?
    Because i can't see a thing now :/

13. Unwinder

Framerate and frametime are defined to be rendered in a separate color in modern layout. You can switch to modern mono layout or edit modern layout to change that.

14. Unwinder

New RTSS 7.0.0 beta 24 is available:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta24.rar

- Added embedded objects support, now OSD client applications can easily embed graphs into OSD hypertext. New MSI AB version will be required to get graphs displayed in AB OSD, for now you can play with open source RTSSSharedMemorySample (included in RTSS SDK subfolder). The sample demonstrates per-core CPU usage history graphs, RAM usage history graph and instantaneous framerate and frametime graphs in OSD. I hope that this feature will also get supported in third party RTSS clients like AIDA and HwInfo soon. I've already published short demo video teasing embedded graphs usage.
    - Raster font texture now includes a set of pre-resized fonts, so 100%, 80%, 50% and 40% fonts are stored in the same texture now instead of just 100% size before. It means that now you can resize OSD text to those scaling ratios without loosing text quality and without negative effects like blurring caused by shrinking default 100% font to that size on the fly. So subscript/superscript text rendered by modern OSD layouts should be rendered in better quality (sharper) now.
    - Optimized Direct3D state changes in situations where multiple batches of primitives are rendered in On-Screen Display (e.g. when rendering the text and FCAT overlay simultaneously, text with filled background, text with graphs etc). That's not something that you can notice in real world benchmarks, because state changes do not eat that much CPU time, but that's something you can notice when you're running some artificial tests with 2000+ FPS values. All Direct3D OSD renderers are affected by this change, so please report if you notice any abnormalities in OSD comparing to the previous 7.0.0 betas.
    - Built-in frametime history graph size is specified in chars (32 chars x 4 chars) instead of pixels now, which means that it can be resized with font.
    - Slightly changed appearance of rotating screen/video capture indicator

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    So for us who dont wanna mess with SDK to show the graph, we wait for new AB Beta!?

Did i understand ok?

16. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    I think that for displaying the graphs AB update will be needed and for now you can see examples in the source code (correct me if i'm wrong)

17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Yea something like that, we said the same thing in a different way :)

18. Unwinder

Correct. Examples contain both source code and compiled example EXE (.\SDK\Samples\SharedMemory\RTSSSharedMemorySample\Release\RTSSSharedMemorySample.exe ), so anyone may launch it to play with some additional graphs now.

19. Unwinder

Rare case when my hobby and primary job interact with each other. :D A few more internal tests and usage scenarios of graphs embedded into RTSS overlays: seeing medical signals while gaming. The singals incude electrocardiagram, galvanic skin response and breathe.

[​IMG]

20. RadioActiveLobster

RadioActiveLobster Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Now we can literally see in graph form when playing Resident Evil 7 causes you to **** your pants.