PC build Help: No video output

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vibe, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Building PC using my old parts for a friend.
    All parts were working just fine before I packed them away in a box.
    Current issue is that I have no video output. I have tried 2 different cables, one of which is from my current rig so I know it's just fine.

Mobo: Asus Maximus 5 Gene
    GPU: EVG Nvidia 970
    Intel Core i7 processor (broadwell or haswell, I forget which)

Mobo has Qcode: A2 which in the manual states IDE Detect
    Mobo has onboard LED's called QLED's. If an error is found, the LED's will stay lit. One is staying lit, the Boot Device LED..but I don't understand what it means by boot device. The hard drives are connected. If I disconnect the hard drives, the LED is still on.

What I've tried:
    reset Cmos multiple times
    removed graphics card entirely and put the video cable on the Mobo HDMI.
    Removed all ram, inserted only 1 stick.

All the fans come on...etc. There is no system beep but I can't remember if it ever beeped before or not. All these parts worked just fine on my previous build.
    I still have no video output. Is my bios bad?

Any suggestions?

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Try getting pass the led with CPU and motherboard only. Disconect everything and detach all devices (keyboard, mouse, etc..)
    If there error that ram is required, add 1 stick.

If there still no luck, you can try detaching CPU... If there still no luck, you probably got bad motherboard.

And as always, make sure you connected ALL power cables accordingly. Especially 3v cable that nearby CPU.

3. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    funny thing. I got it to work. Installed windows..yadda yada. worked quite a few times after that, I unplugged the whole thing, replugged it back...worked fine.
    I'm not exactly sure what I did, at some point I do know my monitor source wasn't set to hdmi correctly or something and when I power cycled the monitor it worked.

The guy takes it home, hooks to his TV...no video output. So I got it to work so that means nothing is fried but why won't it work now?

Maybe it's a signal detection issue? Anything I tell him to try?

4. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    That was probably a video "source" problem, as you mentioned. The "IDE" error code is irrelevant. Even if there's no HDD installed, the machine should POST. I won't load Windows and wiil ask for boot device but, that's all

So, there's no reason for it to not work at "the guy's" home... as long as he set his display to the correct source. "Auto" usually works :D

//EDIT

There were some boards I remember requiring the user to set the Primary Display in BIOS when two or more devices were present (iGPU, VGA, PCIe), but I think these days, the UEFI are pretty smart to setup things automatically. If things go south at "the guy's" home, is worthy checking out those settings to "PCIe x16" for it to boot from the first PCIe x16 slot device, where the GTX 970 should be installed. I still think there's no reason to fear, though.

PS. If there's no speaker connected to the mobo's sytem panel header, the machine won't beep ;)
    Long go the days when the speakers were soldered to the boards...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

5. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    But it is at correct source, He's tried every HDMI slot with several cables and even bought a DVI to HDMI cable...it's basically doing what it did to me. I don't know for certain what I did to solve the issue for me cause I did many things before I messed with the monitor.

So I go to his house, jack with it, reset the cmos, pull out the graphics and ram, reinstall it....no signal. But yet literally the day before I took it to him, it worked perfectly and I put the PC in a box, complete with styrofoam and put it on my seat so it wouldn't bump around.

I'm at a loss now...serious loss since he went out and spent $100 on a new case, we traveled 2 hours to get to Fry's and now he can't use it....I feel real bad.
    I've built many PC's since the 90's, This build uses high end parts from previous gen. Even the Mobo is Asus Maximus Gene, EVGA brand graphics, Seasonic modular PSU...etc.
    Every component is seated properly and in it's place. GPU is in x16 slot of course and again I got it to work the day prior and unplugged it a few times and back on again just fine afterwards.

Oh I also tested a second monitor I had laying around. No signal to it either so it's not his TV. BTW just to be clear you can't see the bios, like there is literally no signal when you turn the PC on but everything lights up, fans run, hard drives start reading stuff...etc.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  6. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Here is what sucks the worst though guys...he's a console gamer and I talked him into PC gaming. Talking up how good my graphics are, Steam sales and CDkey prices. He finally got excited enough to spend some the kind of money he's never spent before (he's in his early 20's)and I basically sold him a core i7 with 970 GTX system and a nearly new Vive VR system for $800

So he went from Playstation 1 to Xbox series for much of his life and his first PC gaming experience becomes a dud. The very thing gamer's like him make excuses for regarding PC gaming is having to download drivers and messing with issues all the time and his very first day with a gaming PC ....*fart.
    I've built so many PC's throughout the years, dabbled in overclocking..etc, aside from a couple of DOA boards back in the early 2000's, I never had this problem. I was hoping to hear some things I could try but not sure what else to really do since I don't have any more equipment to swap out and test...threw most of my old stuff out long ago.

Feels bad man.
    [​IMG]

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Make sure bios on mobo and GPU is up to date..
    Could be a TV incompatibility issue.

8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    twerky motherboard sounds like...I went 3 months without my computer because of something exactly like this.

Then one day I said wth> lets try it again/ hit power button and yee haw!...dam things been working great ever since???

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

I love the fact that when I turn a game off.....I still have a windows10/7/computer.....

Sorry about your console buddy's experience....

10. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Lol, I can't even see the bios. You can't do anything when the monitor can't detect a signal. At least I would never be able to update a bios blind folded.

Probably not as sorry as he is. Likely he'll never want to try PC gaming again. Although it's funny now when I see PC gamers on forums telling console gamer's about the Master race thing.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  12. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    You need to know what your system is telling you. Go to your local PC electronics store and get yourself a motherboard speaker so you can listen to the beeps to help narrow down possible issues.
    Did you check to see if every HDMI slot was enabled in the TV settings. Some TV do allow you to disable inputs.
    This is part of the fun of being Master race. Just imagine the joy you are going to have telling this story to your grandkids someday.