Dishonored II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Distractingly juddery is perhaps too extreme a way to put it.

What I meant was that the game never feels completely smooth for me like other games unless, as I said earlier, it is running at a perfect 60 fps. If the framerate deviates just 1-3 fps from that, above or below, then I can feel the difference and see it in motion, especially when turning on the spot. And, yes, G-SYNC is ON at all times. I find it off-putting because I know that a game running over 60 fps on a system like mine with G-SYNC should feel so much better than this. The Witcher 3 at 4K and maxed out settings, including HairWorks, can dip to the low 50s fps but it feels super-smooth to play and the framerate dips are not noticeable even during combat when Geralt is rolling and jumping about at speed. It's just really disappointing that such a great game like Dishonored 2 should have this issue as it deserved better and I still think it is the engine choice that is to blame here.

The number of complaints about performance in this game over on the Steam forums suggests that I am not alone in experiencing this.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I can confirm the horrible performance. Its the reason why i stopped playing actually.
    It basicly ruined a great game from me, turning it from great into a POS.

The launch was nothing but a joke and after a zillion patches things still are not fixed. yes they did improve, but if it cant maintain 60fps for me , im pretty much done with it. and thats not even with maxed out settings mind you.
    locking fps at a lower number did not help the drops in any way. Such a bad job on this game really!
    Especially since other games with that engine run fine.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You actually called a GREAT game a POS becouse you cound not hold 60fps most of the time, does that makes sense to you?

Not everything is perfect, White.

Besides that, this engine was used on couple of games already an they all had issues. From huge pop-in in Rage to locked framerate and messy performance in Wolfenstein TNO. So it didnt run fine on others as well you had no complains.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Honestly i do not have problems in wolfenstein. hell on my gtx780 it also ran fine as well.
    Its perfectly simple if i get the feeling that the mouse movement doesnt line up with the screen, its a no go.

I always tend to play with vsync and the game just feels fishy.
    and yes im calling it a pos because of the performance. When the impression is so much on the forefront in this immersive game , it just basicly ruins every move you make.

It is the downside of playing this with a mouse and keyboard. they mouse is so sensitive that these things are easy to spot.

5. I find Dishonored 2 art-style pretty good. Even lighting and attention to detail is miles ahead from Prey, coming from the same developer.

The only problem are those occasional draw-call and streaming related dips below 60FPS, luckily they have quite a lot of options in advanced settings, which helped considerably. Shame they do not support Vulkan ...

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I can never keep track of the names without looking it up but while it's the same developer company (Arkane, published by Bethesda.) it's separate developer studios and thus different teams behind them. :)

Dishonored 2 was developed by Arkane's main studio (idTech5 modified into Void.) and Prey by the newer Austin studio. (Cry-Engine, modified.)

(Well new and new, it was opened several years ago.)

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There are no other games on that engine.

I know, you're referring to idTech5...
    But, in reality, this is not idTech5. It's been confirmed on multiple occasions that there's only about 20% of the original code left.

This is it's own thing now.
    It's like the IW Engine is Quake 3 Engine just because... that's what it was built out of.
    Void can not be compared to idTech5 as it doesn't operate like idTech at all.

Also... The Evil Within. ;) A game using idTech5 with some big performance issues at release.
    The main thing is, idTech5 was not friendly to being modified. Tango changed it drastically for Evil Within, and resulted it some big issues.
    Arkane built Void out of it, and ended up with big issues. idTech5 was not made to be rebuilt.
    It was a very specific engine, built for very specific things. And, sadly, some have tried to take it beyond it's original intentions.

8. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Has the game ever randomly crashed to desktop with no errors for anyone?

9. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
  10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i agree completely art style in dishonored is so much better than in prey, in prey there is no artstyle, as if the game was rushed
    [​IMG]
    best scenery in the game

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I believe the new DisHonored game was posted in the E3 thread.
    But, they released a new gameplay trailer since the game is coming out in about a month..

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    That looks pretty awesome! The setting looks much cooler tbh. the gameplay seems supersmooth also, but since their history i wont pre-order and read all reviews there are before purchasing.

fingers crossed for smooth gameplay.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I wouldn't consider one release as a representation of their "history".
    But, considering they made an active effort to ensure PREY's release was as solid as possible.

I doubt they would apologize for DH2's release, then go to efforts to ensure they didn't repeat it, only to drop the ball by releasing this with issues.

14. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I hope the next Dishonored game will use idTech6 instead of their own crappy adaptation of the idTech engine.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

Thirty minutes of 'Death of the Outsider', recorded from a PC.
    And, Harvey Smith commented that DotO is, in his opinion, the best DisHonored game. Also, in regards to PC stability and performance, Death is way above DisHonored II.
    He said he couldn't comment for every possible CPU and GPU combination, but it was the best performing entry in the DisHonored series.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i d happily say that dishonored 2 is the best game of 2017 yet., i enjoyed it a lot

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Death of the Outsider is up for preload. Releases at midnight. .

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    20 GB so around 1/3rd of the size of the main game, think that's similar to Old Blood to New Order for Wolfenstein actually so could be a sizeable game though it's still reflected by it's lower purchase price that it's more of a stand-alone expansion. :)
    (Steam does use compression for the preload archives so the unpacked data could still be a bit bigger.)

Billy should be a interesting character too, as should however the writing will handle the whole Outsider what with him being somewhat of a deity almost.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I think full install size is supposed to be around 36 gigs.
    But, I'm excited for this. Really love the DisHonored series... and any new content is great. The two DLC releases for the first game offered a pretty good sized chunk of new gameplay.

I also like that Arkane said they decided to use Billy in this one, because they felt using Daud would be too easy.