Am I the only one that feels Mics have ruined MP gaming?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Serotonin, Jun 13, 2017.

?

Do you hate Microphones in MP?

1. Can't stand them!

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Love them!

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Indifferent!

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Stop gaming old man! Find a nice rocking chair and stare at your lawn.

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Hear me out. I come from a time when you typed what you wanted to say in a chat box whilst playing a game. The dreaded chewing gum and walking at the same time scenario us old guys were able to accomplish. I know the younger generation that has always had microphones might not understand the gripe here, but does anyone else steer clear of MP games these days due to mics?

I can't stand hearing 12 year olds talk trash. It not only forcibly teaches me slang but also shows me how dumb the world is getting with their grammar.

"Most games let you mute the mic"

Yep. And most of those games kick me for not participating with a mic if that option is available to them.

I don't expect mics to go anywhere. I'm just saying, does anyone beside me prefer a nice quiet chat? Multitasking. Enjoying a brief "gg" or "lol". Or even an assholish "pwned :p"

This of course, is in addition to the lack of originality in MP gaming and tons of other aspects we can argue about. I'm focusing strictly on the communication aspect.

Giving gamers the mic to me, is a game ruined, in the same way they started giving rpg characters voice overs. I understand them with evolving gaming, I just hate them.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    PC gamers tend to be more muture than their console couterparts. Depending on the game of course. With Console almost every multiplayer game has the mic enabled by default. No push to talk. I've heard random chatter that has nothing to do with the game countless time. Now the first time I do with mute or turn off the mic options.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I remember the day I gave it up. I was playing someone in a game of Madden 2013 on xbox 360 and I know this is going to sound made up. But I swear to you, first, it was a guy talking ghetto and acting hard. On his mic, complaining I wasn't talking (this was before I found this sort of thing super annoying and used to listen to them bicker out of entertainment). We get about a third of the way through the game and I can hear him..he sounded like a damn kid himself, I can hear him start yelling at his kid and slapping him, then I could hear the kid start crying and saying "daddy, what'd I do" and his response was "don't walk in front of the tv while I'm playing"

I left the game and never played with a mic enabled again. Muted or booted. That was it.

4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I voted "Stop gaming old man! Find a nice rocking chair and stare at your lawn." I'd also apply that to myself but for me it's "Stop MP gaming old man! Find nice singleplayer games that you can enjoy without the other morons in the world peeing you off". ;)

5. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I dont know man, I been using mics since like 2001. Makes it hard to play team based MP games without one. In fact it irritates me when people dont have them in games like BF or R6:Siege.

I imagine in 1v1 MP games a mic is annoying, but lets be honest there hasn't been a good 1v1 MP game since the Quake3/UT days.

So in one aspect I agree with you, but given todays MP landscape I think people without mics are the problem and not the ones using mics.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last time I played MP were Unreal, Quake and HL deathmatches with colleagues sitting in the same room.
    As I don`t get all the modes of MP in nowadays games and as I don`t want to play with unknown people I don`t play them at all.
    And seeing chaotic gameplay from behind the shoulder of BF players I can`t understand the appeal.
    Sorry for off topic.

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Been mainly single playering it up for years now ;) But after this years E3, seeing a lot of MP based stuff...it made me bring this subject up to see how many feel like I do.

And I can understand that. But I don't play team based games. They're extremely boring to me and people on your team go into huge fits of rage at you for screwing up one time. Like..no one is chill and realizes it's just a game in those things anymore. "*&^$ING N00B WHAT ARE YOU DOING? JESUS CAN WE BOOT THIS GUY? OMG!"

Sorry I have a life and don;t jump into a game until a year after it's release and am not an expert.

I will say the Division was the last game I did play MP, as I had to. And it was nice. Typically a quiet experience even though it was team based. And people didn't get all pissed if you made a mistake. It was enjoyable. Then ubisoft banned me for cheating when I absolutely did not. And I didn't have the interest or energy to call/email and figure it out, so it got uninstalled.

Then I started playing this Quake Champions beta a few weeks ago and enjoyed how quiet it was. Ah. Yes. The good ol' days.

8. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    It all depends on the platform, crowd and game. Nothing better than playing comp OW and getting a group of guys who do simple phrases - behind, xxx is low, ult is almost ready etc. Some games dont need mic at all, if you play with mates use mumble or something like that.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    My first PC gaming experience was 5 player LAN on Unreal Tournament so I know what you mean. You can't replicate something like that with unknown people sitting miles away.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is why the party system was so great in XBox. I could just talk with my friends while playing a game and not hear the social rejects that at like badasses online.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Yeah, you need no Mic to taunt a guy in the same room. -)

12. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    My first online gaming experience was Left 4 Dead 1....I had enjoyed counterstrike an matches and bot matches...mostly offline but after they made the playing as zombies part online only I thought I'd give it a go. I rember playing and almost everyone playing was some squawking 13 year old....some british teenager basicalling having an autistic screeching fit because wouldn't follow his commands.....because reasons.

I have always hated online games because of that...and have no interest in being involved in playing a game where I have to hear the voices of others.

If players were just another person on the map it would be much more bearable.

But the argument that you cN just mute the mic doesn't make sense because people exclusively rely on audible commands to organise their gameplay, then headsets were not a factor they observed their team by sight. If you were playing a game with the mic muted your team would pay you no mind and you would suck as you wouldn't know what specific thing needed to be done.

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The last time I had any sort of MP based gaming was a night playing Ghost Recon Wildlands. It wasn't so bad, because the dudes we connected to actually played (and worked with us) to complete the mission we were working on. At the same time, I don't really enjoy MP the way I used to as much of it has moved from dedicated servers to Matchmaking, which can be a pain to set up private lobbies.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I tend to disable in game voice and chat in the majority of games I play, people rarely have anything of worth to say and I couldn't give a shat about the opinions of randoms.

I do use voice comms in a number of games, but only with people I already know to some degree and never directly through the game itself.

15. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Squading up in BF games or R6 Siege, real-time coordination with a squad and dominating a match is a huge rush for me. I voted "Love them". Honestly, I find more trolling in chat boxes than mics. I only play PC games so I'm not sure about the troll/mic scene in consoles.

16. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I only play MP with a bunch of friends I've known for years. The first times we played online, computers only had a single core, and we used a tiny program called Picophone for communications to minimise the impact on system resources.

I'd say it's half the fun to keep cracking jokes and such with friends while playing. Even when we play Arma, we just keep doing whatever we want, and there's not a single person among us who would take things too seriously. Rather, if someone screws up, it's a source of laughs for everybody. That's how gaming should be: entertainment. People who appreciate a rocking chair are probably much better gamers attitude wise than angry brats.

17. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    i never met a 12 year old on discrod . they are all around my age which is 25-35 old

18. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I mute voice chat a lot of time it's some douche that wants to play his music constantly then I mute them and then some other guy yelling all the way through mute him.It ends up I've muted at least half of them so I just mute them all now. I'm older so it might be an age thing.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    The microphone is not the problem, it's the people.

20. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I'm totally with OP. Disabling VOIP is always one of my first moves.

I find that most people are not capable of conveying accurate and useful information in a timely manner. Instead of info like "Enemy spotted north of blue tower!", you get useless info like "F@&%! That c*$# sucker shot me!"

For me, VOIP is ruining new games. In games like DayZ and Ark:Survival Evlovled, there are good VOIP mechanics built in to the games. Both games let you use your mic to talk to players that are nearby in-game. Both games have in-game radios that allow you to talk to distant players. Many players use 3rd party VOIP to circumvent the in-game communication mechanics. This is no different then using 3rd party software to circumvent the in-game aiming mechanics. I would support anti-cheat software blacklisting 3rd party VOIP apps, and treating players that use them just like other cheaters.

I can't get four people together on VOIP without listening to someone's TV in the background, or kids yelling, or heavy breathing, or people too loud/quiet, people talking to others not in game. I find all this annoying enough to not use it, not to mention it destroys any kind of immersion you may have enjoyed. Even in cooperative/non-competitive games, I don't want to listen to these distractions.