Cheap Intel Apollo Lake SoCs Play Netflix 4k Ultra HD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Funny, I was just working on a new Apollo Lake Celeron based NAS unit from Asustor, when this news popped up. The lads from heise noticed that the new Apollo Lake SoCs can manage Netflix 4K playback...

Cheap Intel Apollo Lake SoCs Play Netflix 4k Ultra HD

2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's like my old Atom that for 1/3 of the price of the core2 was able to play HD... fanless.

this is quite nice.

3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Just to let you know... it has been cracked.
    There are Netflix 4K torrents out there, original bitstream (not HDMI capture)

The only ones that are suffering from these shenanigans are paying customers. Pirates can play on anything, even a basic HEVC enabled smartphone and tablet...

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Except for the single fact that we do not support piracy. This is not up for debate as well.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What's the point? Anyone who would be interested in it would find it for himself.
    +Torrents? It is being done on much more sophisticated level, because people doing it want money for themselves.

To Topic:
    4k on this is OK, and it looks like it is more about those added converters than capability of CPU itself. And I guess that people who do own 4k screens tend to have bit more capable HW or dGPU with HDMI as well as DP.

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    You misunderstood me.
    Let me clarify.

These are complete artificial bogus restrictions from Intel and Netflix, probably Intel paying money to Netflix to boost their sale of the crappy quad cores.

The video stream itself is perfectly usable on ANYTHING, including lower-end chips that have integrated HEVC decoding, so you don't NEED the latest generation Intel stuff to play them... which was proven by the copied "pirate" Netflix streams, which simply play on anything.

But they are shoving this idiotic hardware DRM up legal paying customer's a$$es... for no good reason, other than Intel being monopolistic.

"You want Netflix, buy INTEL" - This is what angers me.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I think you missed his point. I do not think he is pro piracy here.

Just stating legal people who pay for the service are being shafted to with so much to do just to have something that is easily stolen and used in a much easier way ironically.

8. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    is a 1080ti and a hdcp 2.2 4k telly with hdmi 2.0a enough to watch 4k netflix once the drivers are out?

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Forgetting encoding and DRm for a moment, whats the minimum spec required for playing back 4K content. What laptop CPU for instance, i currently use an old laptop attached to a 55" 4K TV, its great for 1080 but struggles with 4K.

Thanks

10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    @pegasus, CPU decoding requirements are somewhat high, however recent generation GPU's (Maxwell, Pascal and AMD's Polaris) have hardware HEVC (H.265) decoders in them, which means your cpu will be almost idle while the videocard will do all the work.

..... That is, unless it's artificially DRM restricted by greedy Intel .....

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Thanks, so something basic in the CPU department is ok as long as i add in something like a 1050gtx??? I have a AMD FM2 CPU based system im thinking of using.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    So, does that mean the Pentium J4205 will support 4K streaming from Netflix?