Windows 7 Market Share on the Rise again at Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2017.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I know about the whole controversy about the infringing data collection and spying apps, but why would you want to downgrade your computer back to 2009?

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah, i read some of the upgrade stories for W10, that was enough for me, i just downloaded my Pro version of W10, burned it to a disc and have not looked back, clean ibstall if possible is always the best option, if you can take it.

I have never asked much from my OS, work when i turn on the pc, be fast, play my games, and so far it has done all that, and i get the bonus of crossbuy between my W10 and XB1 account, so i am at least one content W10 user....so far.......MS can be kind of dicks at time with stuff, so you never now, but as of now, all if fine.

3. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    There are many valid reason why someone would want to either stay with windows 7 or upgrade to 7 from 10.

The direction windows 10 is going is toward mobile, replacing modern win32 programs with extremely inferior "apps", why would any desktop user want to do that?
    Microsoft cites security and the whole "universal" thing, users are safer if they use these apps, but these apps can also potentially give Microsoft complete control of your computing eventually and they ridiculously 'dumb-down' the desktop experience.

Forced updates, recent history proves Microsoft makes a lot of horrible decisions with windows that consumers reject (aka start screen), with forced updates it wont matter, you will be forced to accept all of their bad design changes and everything else they do, like it or not, you have no choice.

Spyware, do we really know what they are doing with the mountains of data that windows 10 is sending to Microsoft?
    Microsoft have a long history of deliberately lying to the customer, everything from onedrive, to windows phone "all wp8 users will get wp10" to the red X means yes/no debacle.
    Why on earth would I want my personally identifiable data sent to Microsoft?

Many more valid reasons to stay with 7 however I don't have time to list them all.

4. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    The spying programs won't be stopped, but the latency is dropping and the fps is rising for me so that's going for it. It will be nice if/when Destroy windows spying can disable what is able to be disabled again. A separate hardware firewall is necessary for spying protection on windows no? Windows has a nasty habit of not having the latest updated drivers for common things like realtek sound drivers, gpu drivers, etc . Blaming windows for your ssd failing is pretty laughable too. I am quite enjoying windows 10 1703. Classic Shell alleviates my main ui gripe since Windows 8.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You may want to give Linux a try if you fear them that much, but good luck running your favorite games.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Btw the "apps" aren't inferior. It all depends on the use case. Most of the time they are worthy replacements and much much lighter.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    The hard truth is written below. Don't click unless you can handle it.
    Windows 7 is an obvious choice.

Feels bad to be Windows10 owner. No chance to revert back to actually superior and working OS.
    Now you stack with OS that does whatever it wants without your confirmation whatsoever.
    Thank you for being M$ testing monkeys :D

8. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There is no way of knowing how many of the above are gaming PC's.

Even with the flaws, Steam Survey is the best we have.

I use W7 at work, but could not go back to it for my home PC.

10. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    I wouldn't go back to it, a game like Arkham Knight works quite a bit worse in Win7 than win10. Plus I like that Win10 uses about 10-20w less whilst in idle than 7. Plus the reset function is very welcome, so much faster than a fresh install.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
  12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Apparently Unity has also been collecting hardware stats (like Steam) of users playing games using the Unity engine. Goes to show you can't entirely rely on Steam for gaming statistics ...
    http://hwstats.unity3d.com/pc/index-win.html

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    These stats are a bit depressing, but probably more representative.

14. BadAssMusician

BadAssMusician Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EGPU
    I still prefer Windows 7, even with new hardware only supporting 10... 8 and 10 are just not as easy to use as 7, neither is it as stable...

FAR FROM IT.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Going from Win XP ti Win 7 x64 on same HW gives solid performance boost.
    Going from Win 7 x64 to Win 10 x64 gives about same boost in performance.

Yes, Win 10 is more bloated by those "features" MS thinks everyone needs to use. But it is not unstable OS.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This thread needs a massive Tinfoil hat.

Windows 10 works perfectly fine, if you can't grasp how to disable several settings then problem lies not with OS.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    W10 appears bloated, but from a performance point of view the bloat has no negative performance impact.
    Haven't checked the storage side of things, but don't imagine it's that much.

I stopped giving into the ocd minimalist stuff a while ago and my PC use is now pretty much headache free.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Welcome to the world of PC Gaming.

You can uninstall all those Apps like Agenda, Mail, Weather, News, Store, Xbox App etc etc. Every Major Update they will be reinstalled though. Might be annoying but it takes less than 2 minutes.

If you don't want to deal with these things get a Console (or stick to Win 7 and cry when 2020 hits)

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I love how it's such a tiny bit (seriously) of positive news for W7 and people are suddenly so defensive of W10.

Just use what you like. The way I look at it, I'm old, I've got no problems with W7, everything works fine. My son is young, I want him to get with the times, he only gets to use my laptop that has W10. Done.

It's just an OS, not that big a deal. You don't think about your OS when you're playing games lol. This is even more true when you watch children use computers. They don't give a ....

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Sorry, it might not have been clear but my point was that I don't uninstall any of them as it's a waste of 2 minutes.