Windows 7 Market Share on the Rise again at Steam

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    According to the latest data serving from Steam's hardware survey report for May 2017, Windows 10 has a steady base of 50.01% of the pie. 49.05% use the 64-bit version of the OS and 0.96% gamers whic...

Windows 7 Market Share on the Rise again at Steam

2. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Does it seem like more gamers are disappoint with new windows and going back to win7?

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Biggest problem with the way that steam does their surveys, is they only survey a (relatively) small percentage of the people. For instance, i just got a survey request and it was the first one i've gotten in......i don't even remember how long, could be 6 months, could be 12, could be more.

If they are going to do "monthly" survey information that is accurate, they really need to send out survey requests to everyone, all the time. True, not everyone will say yes, but it'd be a whole lot more accurate then putting out a monthly survey with information that is 12+ months ago for the majority of the information.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I was more surprised at the adoption rate of win10 among gamers. They really took MS up on their offer.

5. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Maybe it's a time of the year thing. A lot of kids are free from school and some get their old computer out of the closet?

It appears like there is an increase in the usage of older hardware as well. That would go hand in hand. There's an increase in 2 core CPUs and 4GB memory owners. Dual core increased 1.35% and quad core is down 1.32%. 4GB is up 1.33% and 8GB decreased 0.42%. The rest remains stable.

There is also something else odd about this month's survey. There is an increase of 2.15% of English speakers. A handful of other languages increase 0.11% max. All other languages are either stable or decrease. There simplified Chinese leads with -1.88%, followed by Russian with -0.39%.

Perhaps this is all within the margin of error, though.

6. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Always to be taken with a grain of salt i guess... GTX 750ti users are also up 0.54% and directX 8 GPU's are up 0.23% so could just be a little blimp, of people getting old pc's out? maybe?

7. gopher04

gopher04 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 Classified
    It's hardly surprising, Win 10 for gamers has nothing going for it, it's to intrusive and bloody annoying with it's updates..

8. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Still Enjoying Windows 7 without issue across all 3 machines I have, and still seeing my co-workers regularly fight with their Win 10 upgrades.

When I'm ready to move, I'll format and install clean, but there's no good reason yet.

9. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Good,good,now let see the M$ move: another patches & ransomware to cripple Windows 7.
    Windows 7 Users Hit the Hardest by WannaCry Ransomware

In the other news:

WikiLeaks Vault 7: CIA's "Pandemic" Tool Replaces Files with Malware
    The latest WikiLeaks release focuses on Pandemic, a tool that replaces legitimate files with malicious payload.

Appropriately called "Pandemic," the tool can install a file system filter driver on a network, replacing legitimate files with malicious payload when they are accessed remotely via the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol.

"Pandemic does NOT//NOT make any physical changes to the targeted file on disk. The targeted file on the system Pandemic is installed on remains unchanged. Users that are targeted by Pandemic, and use SMB to download the targeted file, will receive the 'replacement' file," reads the tool's description.

This makes this tool a rather interesting one to have since it is particularly difficult to identify infected systems. Since Pandemic replaces files while in transit, instead of modifying them on the device the malware is running on, the legitimate files remain unchanged.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/wiki...tool-replaces-files-with-malware-516204.shtml

But what matters is this:

Operating system market share

Btw,on the cpu side: the rise of 6-8-12 cores.Ryzen is up. :)
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/cpus/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  10. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    it's the creators update. I'm on my 4th fresh install inside a month due to unfixable system issues. not playing well with my specific hdr 4k setup. i've had an ssd fail after transferring windows applications like forza 6 and horizon 2 onto it too which used up a chunk of viable sectors faster than anything i've seen.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, it means that steam stats are bogus as usual.
    I am still not getting survey opportunity and manual trigger tells that I already did them all.
    So, for steam I am still with HD7970, Kingston V100 SSD, Windows 8.1...

It is simple, they probe certain tiny percentage of users every month and if it hits wrong crowd, stats go far away from reality of entire steam community.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And sadly huge increase in 2-core CPUs at expenditure of 4-core CPUs... Yeah, intel mobile i3=i5=i7. All dual cores with HT.

13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    We all know that the Steam hardware survey literally means nothing at this point, right? The only company that might have more or less accurate statistics about actual PC hardware trends is Microsoft.

14. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    No, we don't. Steam has over a hundred million users globally. Even if they are sampling less than 1% of their install base per month, that's a large enough sample group to draw some general conclusions. It just shouldn't be used for specifics due the the margin of error all polling data has built into it.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    If we check on recent tin foil sales, you will see a rise of 1.40%, make of that what you will.:p

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Except that it means literally nothing. Per this months survey, it states AMDs share has gone down, which implies that Ryzen has done nothing to help. Is that correct? Maybe, its possible. Yet, at the same time, could it also be that none, or only a few ryzen systems were surveyed? More likely the latter, i have two ryzen based systems and as i said earlier i got a survey request for this PC, first time in over 12+ months, while my other PC (with a different steam account) hasn't had a request since the account was created, 6 years ago. It had a request when it was initially created, but since then, nadda.

Because of the way steam does its surveys, they are worthless and pointless. If it requested from everyone, each month, it'd have a point. Or at least, if it had YEARLY survey results, not monthly, and requested each account at some point during the year, then it would also be useful. It would be outdated, but more useful then it currently is.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The steam hardware survey was intended to give developers general insight into hardware trends to target optimizations. You don't need a large sampling size for that, let alone what you're advocating - sampling every single computer.

And no, just because AMD's maketshare dropped doesn't automatically imply Ryzen isn't helping. How many Ryzen sales came from existing AMD users? How many old AMD users jumped shipped to Intel products? What is the margin of error on the sampling size? What is the sampling size?

We don't know the answers to any of those and without the answers saying that it's "100% accurate" or it's "Useless/Worthless/Pointless" are both equally ignorant responses.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Explain to me how it is supposed to give developers any insight at all when the information isn't even remotely reliable?

For all i know my 6 year old PC that my other steam account was first put on there is still listed as a "result" since its never done the survey since then.

It doesn't do anything for developers other then to affirm "Oh hey, they do have hardware" which should be implied in the first place if they are buying your game.......

If i, as a developer, do not know what hardware people are on more often then not, then what good is the information? If the information i am being told is telling me that at one time or another, yesterday, maybe 2 years ago, maybe 10 years ago, that these systems existed, how does that help? I already knew those systems existed, and i already knew people used them, but how does that help me, now, understand what people are using, today?

It doesn't.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    They Know...Trust Me.

20. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Huh!

"...as it really should be the other way around."

There is a saying in Serbian "shto je babi milo, to joj se i snilo" (in loose translation "what the grandma is pleased with, that's what she meets in her dreams"). In this particular case, the grandma is actually a grandpa Billy...:banana: