No rest day... should I? Could I?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by NomadAssassin, Jun 1, 2017.

1. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Hello, Guru juiceheads. I've started working out since 2 months ago and took like maybe 5-6 days in total to rest. I'm planning on completely giving up on rest day since I really don't see any issues. I'm upping my body mass and I feel great. Some say you should absolutely give you muscles a rest for at least 48 hours and some say it's sign of being a weak bitch.
    What do you say Gurus?

I should say that my workouts are entirely home based and it's just few variations of push ups and sit ups.

2. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    That is why you alternate different body parts on different days. You can work out everyday while still giving parts rest. Resting the muscles is needed if you work them hard.

3. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Yeah every time I hit the floor I workout till complete muscle failure, but I feel fine in the morning though.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Few pushups and situps isn't really enough to require a rest day, unless you're doing hundreds a day anyway

5. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    It's not hundreds but I do them until I can't use my arms anymore :bonk:

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    How much do you weigh?

Rest days are for muscle recovery after a few days at the gym lifting heavy weights, which damages the muscle fibres, and in turn forces them to repair bigger stronger fibres, without a rest day you will hinder growth/gains

Pushups are good and all, but they're not really a heavy week at the gym lifting properly

So IMO no, you won't need one, if you feel fine the next day do some more

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    You're not gonna exhaust your body hard enough with push up/sit ups variations that rest days matter.

Besides doing push ups/sit ups variations are gonna do **** all tbh for you in the long term anyway, IF you can somehow progress with them (more weight instead of more reps) you'd only develop an imbalanced body anyway.

Try this, all can be done at home.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

8. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    72kg

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nah, unless you wear a backsack full of weights, 72Kg isn't going to do much for needing any rest at all, remember a lot of your weight is going through your feet into the floor, not just your chest/arms/shoulders

EDIT - You can improve the weight distribution by doing things like this

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  10. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Yes I'm doing it that way.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Get yourself to the gym, lift some real weights and give yourself a reason to have a rest day

Do pressups for a year and see next to nothing change, or go to the gym for a year and see a huge change

12. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Oh no I'm not training to gain muscles and get shredded like most people do. I'm training to become stronger overall. Don't care for BMI and how ripped I'm going to look. That is why im not doing reps in certain numbers and counting and **** like that. I pushing my muscles to their limit everytime so that my punches become like steam hammers.
    I'm an ex-boxer so that is my priority.

13. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    You may not feel any issues, but issues from being overworked dotn appear in a few months. They popup in the form of injury due to over use or you start going backwards in your progress.

Anyone who says you're a weak bitch for using common sense and rest days is not someone you should be taking advice from. Theres a reason we sleep. We get tired, we need to rest. Even if you just sit at a desk all day, you still need rest. Now imagine what the body requires after something like strength training.

Youve been working out 2 months and you think you in a position to decide what you can handle over the long term?

Nah. Stop this working out till failure nonsense. Its something that should be used sparingly to test progress and help with overcoming plateaus when plateaus are reached.

You're ego lifting workout wise. Working out with no rest days is going to take a toll over the long term and its something that will creep up on you and will be the last thing you think of when you start to ask yourself "why am i tired and why am i going backwards in my progress".

This ^^^ is bro science. Theres a reason that reps are counted and programs like 5x5 exist.

An ex-boxer who doesnt care about BMI? An ex-boxer who thinks lifting weights makes you punch harder. Yeah...nah.

Punching is about technique. A boxer would know this.
    Strength training is also about technique. Any athlete who takes their hobby seriously knows this.

If you dont train to punch properly, your not going to be able to do any damage and if you dont weight lift properly you're not going to see any strength gains. Weightlifting isnt about making you hit harder, its about building a solid foundation from which those punches are thrown and about building a solid foundation to minimize damage for when punches are received.

"counting and **** like that". Reps arent just some arbitrary number that is decided by the hands on a clock or what sounds good at the time, they're a benchmark or goal that you set to gauge progress. Reps are a challenge and workout in themselves and a way to measure progress in a linear fashion. If you dont set a goal in your workout, then youll never know if you've reached you're overall goal of becoming stronger in general.

How did you plan on testing if the workouts had increased your punching strength, out of curiosity. With one of these?:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You're an ex boxer but need to ask a forum whether you need a rest day after pushups?

Start boxing if you want a hard punch

15. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580

This. Reads like a brag thread.

Weightlifting = harder punches? lol wat.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall and 196 pounds...OP got nothing!/ Lol....J/K

:D

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Just buy your own weights.

I cba to go to the gym when I get home from 9 or 10 hours at work and solved it that way. Down the line it's cheaper then going to the gym as well.

When it gets to easy: buy another bunch of disks and up the weight.

Sounds retarded, but you can do exercises where you grab smaller weights and do punching exercises. Seems to strengthen the muscles needed for punching.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  18. Nosein

Nosein Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Its purely retarded and nothing more than anecdotal. Youd achieve much more and strengthen the same muscles by doing rows and benchpress.

Punching the air with weight is nonsensical. You're just risking injury for minimal gain as all the weight (and risk) is placed on the joints. To reduce or remove that risk, youd have to use such a light weight that it would render the whole thing pointless.

Punching is a whole body movement, not a shoulder forearm thing. There is an entire chain of "events" that occur throughout the body when punching correctly. To use a light dumbbell or similar and punching the air makes no logical sense. It basically becomes a front shoulder raise with poor form.

19. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    2 days rest.

20. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    You may be tiring the muscles, but you are not tearing the muscles which is what a hard workout does which is why it requires rest to heal between sessions. All you are doing is keeping them active and in shape with your routine