The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    No, not really.

Have you tried booting with 4100 then rebooting and then playing overwatch ?
    (Something like cold boot to 4100 then warm boot and then play overwatch)

2. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Yep. Tried both - cold and warm boot.
    *x-files.mp3*

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Does anyone else have Steam version of Quantum Break installed and running smoothly?

I can't seem to make the game run smoothly anymore. I could do a pretty much locked 75 fps last time I played with my old Intel i5 setup.

Now with everything set exactly the same the fps varies between 35 - 75 and there's a lot of stutter.
    Neither GPU or CPU are maxed out when the framerate drops, not even close. First thread of CPU has relatively higher usage than other threads but even it ain't nowhere near 100 %.

Is this a Ryzen thing or Creator's Update thing or what?

EDIT: updated to latest NV driver, did some further tweaking and it's better. Borderless Window as before and also Vsync On in NV CPL. Pre-rendered frames at 2.

Had to drop Reflections to Medium too (along with Volumetric Lighting and Global Illumination at Medium, as before) to stabilize framerate further.
    Other settings at High and Textures at Ultra. Upscaling disabled.

Not perfect / as smooth as it used to be but close enough. Like said GPU and especially CPU would still have usage headroom left so something is off.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Cool. Now have this page bookmarked when the need arises. Was worried after reading that an undocumented switch, /GAN, no longer worked. That switch would allow the overwriting of the bios block regardless if it was locked or not.

5. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Yes that method worked for me also. Awesome bud.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I'm taking this one step further ... I have begun working with the UBU tool (UEFI BIOS Updater tool) to see if I can't extract the AGESA 1.0.0.6 mods from the Crosshair VI Hero BIOS and get them into the Prime X370 PRO BIOS. Because I'm tired of the fact that only CrossHair owners get beta BIOS's to play with.

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  8. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    Would be interesting to check out.

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep, definitely got a performance boost, now can keep locked 75 fps without dropping any settings even in notorious Geothermal Valley.

Can't recall what the benchmark score was before but got around 119 avg now, maxed out settings @ 1080p except no AA (driver FXAA instead) and motion and vignette blur disabled.

DX12 borderless window.

10. Nicus

Nicus Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X 4GB + Water 3.0 P
    You can add Raijintek Triton 240 (and i think other models based on the same cpu/pump block) Raijintek sends AM4 kit for free after sending them proof of purchase.

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I have a few questions regarding what things actually mean in the BIOS. There seems to be little information regarding these settings.

The options set in this screenshots are there for example, I'm NOT actually using them. Constructive answers only please, I know that people will want to say 'just leave it as default', but that doesn't answer the question of what they actually are.

There are a whole lot of other settings in the depths of AM4 bioses that are hard to find information about.

Firstly, poison consumption. There are other settings related to poison consumption, I did find some information relating to it, but not what it actually means.

[​IMG]

Secondly, SATA. There is AHCI then AHCI as 0x7904. There is also RAS control, and SATA disabled AHCI prefetch function. For this, does enabling it disable prefetch? Not very clear!

[​IMG]

RedirecForReturnDis, not very helpful! L2 TLB Associativity, going by the description 0 would make sense since it is fully associative and 1 is limited, however default is auto. Does auto default to 0 or 1, and why is limited even an option? Then there's Platform First Error Handling, IBS (people have talked about this in relation to Zen, but not helpful as they're jokes about irritable bowel syndrome!), then there's Global C-State control and Opcache. Why would you want to disable OPcache? Default is auto.

[​IMG]

I'd like to restate about the comments, I'm asking what they are and what benefit/disadvantage they represent, if your answer is 'leave as auto' without a reason why ('just because' is not a reason), please don't answer! :).

12. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    There appears to be a beta bios 0801 for Prime X370-PRO here, includes AGESA 1.0.0.6
    https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f219/asus-prime-x370-pro-am4-1156996.html

Edit: Bios is legit, lots more DRAM settings. For the first time my F4-3200C16D-16GVKB G Skill memory posts into windows using D.O.C.P 3200 without any changes. Will play with it more after work today. Seems like a go!

:banana:

A preliminary memory test using just D.O.C.P with a Zenstates 3.9ghz overclock. Nice improvement in memory latency. I will work on optimizing after work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Here is the exact spelling and wording from the "release notes" after decompressing the rar file:

I am not touching this beyond decompressing it. The uncompressed size seams quite a bit larger than the Official releases so far. No idea who the individual is. Being paranoid...maybe. Prefer overly cautious. Let us know how it goes. Dying to find out what benefits my 3600 sticks will bring.

14. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    The uncompressed size is exactly the same size as the official ones.
    Flashing now ...

[​IMG]

15. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Really nice find. Thank you :)

16. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Still no 3200 MHz for me with 0801 :-(

17. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    OH YES!!! Beer time and testing tonight..... (gigitty) :rock:

18. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    So I finally caved in and bought 2 x 8 GB F4-3200C16D-16GTZB pair of G.Skill ram. Now it's running 3200 MHz with D.O.C.P profile. So for now my F4-C14 2x16 Gb is on the bench, waiting for newer BIOS versions.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Two interesting things about the 0801 beta bios:
    • Command Rate - functions at 1T no matter the setting
    • VDDSOC base when using an offset is now 1.1000v (previous versions were @ .95)

A lot of the sub-timings are not necessary. DOCP did not set all the parameters correctly. It only set the major settings that have been present in the previous versions. Was really great to be able to set all the timings as the SPD listed.

If ASUS can get 2T working on the Crosshair what the heck is preventing them from getting it correct on this board...it is the exact same chip everything minus the ROG packaging.

Going to change out to the 3600 kit when get home tonight. Running the ram at 3200 with this bios version resulted in me lowering the OC to 3.900. The voltages needed to keep stability was exponentially climbing again.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  20. Gigabytes

Gigabytes Guest

GPU:
    RX480 (Vega dreaming)
    I also noticed I needed more core voltage, not a lot more but a bit. Main thing I like is I no longer have to push 1.400v to DRAM for stability, 1.350v is sufficient now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.