Computex 2017: Intel To Release 18 core Core i9-7980XE Skylake-X CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Available soon for the small price of all your transplantable organs.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I know the higher core count versions are going to be expensive, but if the lower end i9 is more than $500 than it better wipe the floor with AMD's CPU or this won't sell at all.

4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It doesn't appear that the 14, 16 and 18 cores are releasing on the 26th of June, so I suspect that Threadripper's 16 core CPU will touchdown first.

AMD has quite clearly shaken Intel pretty vigorously with Ryzen/TR.

5. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    These talks about "panic" are just nonsense, really.
    True - Intel is reacting to AMD's new CPUs, but this is not a panic. Intel had years of total domination and as such had little incentives for any huge steps in core count, premformance and price.
    Now they have a genuine competition, so they react accordingly.

I can't see a "panic" in this.

If someone expected Intel NOT to react, then they were mistaken.

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    If you are replying to me, please show me where I used the word 'panic'

They moved their release schedule up and added SKUs because there is viable competition, I don't think they are panicking, I think they are reacting 'hastily' which shows that AMDs products are cause for concern, a specter Intel have not had to deal with for some time.

I'll be interested to see if Intel adopt a competitive pricing structure or simply try to pretend that they don't have any competition.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Could you please show where you read panic? It certainly wasnt on this thread.

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    i9 7820X for <$500 please! (A man can dream!)

Looks like ultimatum gaming CPU to keep for several years.

9. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    my pricing guesses

i9 7800x ~$500 ... guessing it around $400mark to be "most popular" mainstream cpu... afterall if we thinking that this is the low-quality chip (that have some cores disabled) intel should keep the pricing as low as possible
    also with consideration that AMD will have aggressive pricing on their hi-end cpu
    i9 7820x $650-$700
    i9 7900x ~$850 ... why not $1000? because the 7920x that be "$1000" cpu
    i9 7920x ~$1000

i9 7940x ~$1200
    i9 7960x ~$1500
    i9 7980xe $1800-$2000 ... it intel set price above $2000, then they are crazy and literaly make a product just for keeping/marking their cpu still hold the "king" of performance

10. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Technically theres nothing stopping AMD from countering with a 20+ core Threadripper if they want to solidify the performance crown. I think they will actually have the crown when Threadripper releases, I think it will be a while before the Intel 18 core becomes available.

AMD could easily take some binned 32c EPYC processors and release them as 20 or 24 core Threadrippers just to say they have the performance crown (biggest e-peen :))-- they could also price them accordingly.

Will that even be necessary, I don't know-- if Ryzen 1800x spars nicely with 6950x, Threadripper may do the same even with Intels 18 core.

All I know is that anyone with half a brain needs to seriously be applauding (and supporting with their wallets) AMD for this heroic challenge to Intel.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Its in the Article, and it was stated by Hilbert: "..a bit of a panic reaction...".

I suspect AMD could release a 32 core chip if they felt like it, just not with all of the bells and whistles (yet). It would stay quad channel memory, due to the motherboards layout.....

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  12. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    As much as i want AMD to be successful for the sake of competition and better prices, i'm affraid Intel will be ahead once again, the core clocks on all those cores is crazy compared to AMD clocks. :/

4.5GHZ 8 and 10 cores, i guess i did the right thing of not upgrading to Ryzen 1700.

The problem however is how AMD will price their CPUs as well as Intel, if Intel is going to keep ripoff people, good luck with that. :puke2:

13. rsouzadk

rsouzadk Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    If the i9 7800/20X are priced affordably, they will win the crown.

But i really do expect AMD TR to come and to be price unbeatable with all the 44 pcie lanes. I am not expecting performance better on ipc though. That core frequencies on intel 8 cores are insane.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Fair play :)

15. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    The amount of cores in these numbers probably wont bring the performance crown. Most stuff run on 1 core anyway, multi-core support being optimized for 2 or 4 cores in games. So the performance of a single core (or small bunch of cores) is going to award the performance crown for quite some time.

16. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    People said the same about Dual Cores, from this point onward, Devs will take advantage of more cores due to the simple reason that they're becoming more common.

Intel will also now release more than just 4 cores for the mid-high end range market, whereas more was only available for Enthusiast market and extremely expensive.

The only reason Devs won't optimize for 8+ cores if the Engine they're using just doesn't support it.

As for Encoding, Image/Video Editing, Rendering etc All these cores are very good.

Even MMOs that are famous for not using more than one thread properly are already using various threads, it's just a matter of time before 8 cores becomes the mainstream, and the amount of time it will take will depend on how manufacturers price their 8+ cores.

Not to mention that even a 7700k (stock) might be close or even Bottleneck next gen GPUs like Volta or SLI on it.

Even if a 5GHZ 7700k would fix that, 5Ghz is out of reach for a lot of 7700k owners anyway.

But time will tell.

17. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    AMD validated by Intel. Let's see how the prices shake out. I'm going AMD this generation, they've earned it.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You have an interesting way at choosing hardware.

19. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB

Going for best price/performance isn't all that interesting or novel... :)

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You are visiting the wrong thread, son, if you think this platform is meant for people who only need one or two good cores.