NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Motion blur bug probably. DSR shouldn't do anything really. I'll have to look.

Also they messed up the UI scaling bad. They got the video scaling correct this time, which they messed up with Bayonetta, but that had a beautiful new high resolution UI with high res fonts. All of the fonts and UI is scaled with point filtering here unless you play at 720p.

2. borktorias

borktorias Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I don't have motion blur on. In addition to that there's a white line at the borders.

The UI definitely looks directly taken from the console version and not touched up.

3. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    try using this flag 0x004012C5 is fine for combining DSR4x + SGSSAA

24FPS on my 980TI cinematic experience lol :D
    SGSSAA4x+DSR4x
    [​IMG]

4. LethalManBoob

LethalManBoob Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080
    my monitor is 120 hz so it can fake around 48 frames quite easily.

:eyebrows:

5. LethalManBoob

LethalManBoob Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080
    Well using sgssaa gives me white bars at the top and left. I guess its dsr and fxaa then. :(

Except adjusting the resolution in fullscreen crashes consistently without saving the setting.... ffffffuuuuu...

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  6. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    try use border shader on Reshade, choose border.fx setting size to 1 or 2 on both. change border color to R:0 G:0 B:0

No Border Fix | Border Fix
    [​IMG][​IMG]

btw i never crash when adjusting resolution

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    White outline is common with SGSSAA unfortunately. Just use a border shader.
    The old SweetFX one did the job just fine.

MSAA doesn't seem to work however after testing.
    Well I did find a working bit, but it makes the game unplayable at 10FPS or so.

8. LethalManBoob

LethalManBoob Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080
    With 0x084112C5 ogssaa returns alrght anti aliasing but has less blur unlike sgssaa. ssaa has some better aa but hurts performance alot as expected. Goes great with fxaa.

Oh and important question. Would aa bits change performance when using dsr?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  9. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    yep , btw force to HSAA+SGSSAA = 0x000012C1 is amazing too
    [​IMG]

10. LethalManBoob

LethalManBoob Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080
    Any recommended flags? Also which would be the best dsr values besides 4x for a 1080p monitor. Most settings below that caused me text distortion.

11. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    my perspective using 0x084112C5 choose SGSSAA4x for balance performance and IQ

or try to combine SGSSAA2x with DSR e.g (2x,2.25x).

and if your system can handle it try DSR beyond 4x e.g (6.25x,9x) combine with SMAA/FXAA.
    is up to you :)

BTW UI is mess, low quality. DSR can smooth that text distortion or experiment with shader HQ4X.fx reshade

12. LethalManBoob

LethalManBoob Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080
    Trying to maintain 120 fps with dsr is certanly hard. Ill just have to do with 2xdsr with fxaa. In game fxaa is already really good suprisingly. I mean the game has a lot of aliasing but its not high frequency its just alot of high contrast edges which fxaa handles very well (respectivly). Shader aliasing is somthing that i dont notice too much considering the games pace.

Also i felt i should drop this here becuase its been on my mind.
    4xmsaa+4xtrssaa works apsolute wonders on the id tech 5. Completly removeing all aliasing (especially that texture aliasing it always has with it) and besides a bit of blur. its just... plain perfect.. but it hogs fps on anything other than rage so a heads up :p

13. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    yeah id tech 5 is great that engine included MSAA 16x, i remember enhancing MSAA+TrSSAA in Wolfenstein New Order

14. LethalManBoob

LethalManBoob Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080
    isnt 16xmsaa 4xmsaa+2ssaa?

I always saw 16x msaa as a screenshot setting or for those in the future :)

I tried 16xmsaa in doom 3 and found 2xssaa+4xmsaa in the driver to be better in performance by about 10 fps.

15. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    yep, is really a 16xS hybrid mode i.e. 2x2 OGSSAA + 4x MSAA

thank you for info , i'll try tomorrow

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    16xMSAA is totally useless and a waste of performance.
    MSAA hits diminishing returns incredibly fast after 4x MSAA. There is no quality to be gained after 8xMSAA.

And TrSSAA in OGL is the same as SGSSAA in DX9.

Last I saw pictures of MSAA in IDT5 it was pretty meh looking. I'd love to be proven wrong however.

Here's a simple border fix for Vanquish using old SweetFX and a light LiftGammaGain to make the black slightly less grey.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ytg40nkudhzrt9u/Vanquish_border_fix.rar
    Disable that and the grain if you don't want them.
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/210994
    Also: The AA fix makes the image a lot less soft like with Bayonetta.
    This is with 12C1 8xSGSSAA
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/210995

No bits will affect performance when using DSR, as it is the same as if you were using SGSSAA on a screen of that native resolution.

I wouldn't expect to get great AA if you are trying to maintain more than 60FPS. Just use the in game FXAA with as much DSR as you can get to maintain 120FPS without drops. And adjust the smoothness slider to get the sharpness level you want.

My 980 can hit 60FPS easy at 3200x1800 (hits ~90% GPU usage in big big explosions. Otherwise between 60-70%) with FXAA. But there is still a lot of aliasing left over. It's still a decent option however. As I can also only hit up to 45-50FPS at 1080p with 8xSGSSAA. Most of the time near 30 and big explosions can cause it to drop under 30 to as low as 20-25.

17. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    tried AA fix ON make the game stutter when explosive and when sliding AR mode scene , i don't know why

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Might be due to the flag you are using.

I have not been able to induce stuttering during gameplay by turning on the AA fix yet using 12C1. AA Fix actually decreases GPU usage i've noticed in some areas.

If it's like Bayonetta, then 112C5 will provide better quality for 4xSGSSAA. But I haven't gotten that far in A/B testing yet.

First person mode also causes a massive performance drop no matter what for some reason.
    https://abload.de/img/vanquish_2017_05_26_2dabak.png
    This is with 2x2 OGSSAA forced through the driver. (Which costs more performance than DSR for slightly worse AA quality)

In game SSAO bleeds as well as reduces performance and makes IQ softer with SGSSAA.

SSAO bleeding
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/SSAOBleed.png
    http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/SSAO4xSG1.png
    You can get HBAO+ that bleeds slightly less but still has problems (saw it flicker off once.) like clouding. But it could be tweaked through hex editing to get good quality. However, SGSSAA is so performance intensive, unless you play at 30FPS. I doubt many will use it.
    0x00000019

http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/Vanquish201705262319.png

19. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    yep same i have massive fps drop around 19FPS when first person mode, tried DSR4x huge performance too

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Without using AA, GPU usage does spike here. With no AA I can hit 60FPS. But it takes a lot more for some reason.