Antivirus solution / suggestions

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by cryohellinc, May 1, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    they have to listen to the whole "back up" sugestion, i have set up mutliple computer for people with Backup drive and all that I find they dont actual listen more often then not

2. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I used Norton for 10 years and loved it. It's a great AV and Internet security package. I just didn't want to pay for protection any more so decided to try free. I've been through Comodo, Avast, and Panda but have now settled on Bitdefender.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I can't really use free stuff since I use my PC for work too.
    Care to open that up a bit? You mean your systems got viruses or what? If it's some kind of ancient version before they completely overhauled it that doesn't really count anymore.

------
    Just noticed that Norton moved to pure 64-bit recently... Nice.

It looks like f-secure has been improving a bit lately... https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/ Might five it a try at some point. I used to use it around year 2000 and earlier. At one point it become really heavy but it looks like that's not true anymore.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    I have used Norton AV on my own, wife's and grandson's pc's for more than 10 years without any problems.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I use Malwarebytes 3 and Defender.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Haven't tried it in many years, but when I worked in a repair shop, we would joke to the customers if they came in with Norton & malware problems combined, that Norton 'is' the virus

It was such a PITA to remove 100% too, had to have dedicated removal tools not just their own uninstaller, particularly if they used NIS, network problems even after removal with the default uninstaller that forced us to find norton removal tools to finally get their internet working again

That and McAfee IS were the two main PITA to remove (2010)~

It put me off their products for life though

Stormyhorse likes this.
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm using a paid AV called FSecure and it has done a very good job. I would never touch Norton ever again. I have worked on PCs with a modern day version of Norton and its a terrible AV it doesn't catch anything or find anything that I have scanned with it vs Scanner programs that I have used such as Malwarebytes.

Stormyhorse likes this.
  8. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    As powerful as today's setups are, I cant see the logic in running with zero protection these days...Anyways built in defender is fine for people who use good judgment like myself:banana:

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Like I said, I used Norton for 10 years. The last 8 were NIS which was updated a couple of times. I never had a single problem and their uninstaller worked flawlessly. It also caught a lot of things. The sonar feature is excellent.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    every time i got computer that came with norton internet security and went to uninstall it, the uninstall took hour to finish and the built in uninstall didnt work i had to use uninstall tool they made to do so, grant this going back to the 90's when i actual bought premade computers too

and most do not, hell most people shouldnt have access to internet on "PC", seeing most are not power users. these days I tell those people to get mac learn mac stay away from windows and pc.

Either way one should always have AV product running even if only windows defender.

Last edited: May 22, 2017

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Okay... That doesn't count then and isn't the case anymore. Uninstallation is really quick. Norton now is completely different animal than back then. It doesn't have anything in common. There was a time when Norton sucked, hard, but then they completely overhauled it. Now it's fast and light.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Norton has basically ruined their reputation for decades to come. It was that bad.
    And no, I have not touched it since the 90's.

Stormyhorse likes this.
  13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Surprised that nobody mentioned Sophos.I have it on my Windows and Linux computers, does the job.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Sadly like Amaze that was enough ruin there reputation for me. if I was to look pasted that, why am i gona pay for sub to get definition updates? when there free options that work as good?

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I can't use the free solutions for business reasons. Windows Defender is slow resource hog though, so I wouldn't use it. Avast is also really slow these days. Never tried AVG but since Avast bought them it must be more or less as bad now. Bitdefender free is too limited. When I had full Bitdefender on my laptop few year ago it didn't seem to be that fast and the updates caused lots of disk trashing and it was rather resource heavy when that was going on.

Last edited: May 25, 2017

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well from home use not so much business environment

I Still have n bother to try BD free I want some even lighte then AVAST but I but i still want to have exclude list ondemand scans for games etc, which i not sure BD free has

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  17. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I use Panda on two out of three systems at work and it's pretty good, bit of a hard drive fiend though.Bitdefender free on the third one and it's good also but I only use that machine for ripping/outputting files to the printers.

I tried Panda at home but didn't feel too comfortable with it scanning everything all the time, so went back to Avira and just tweaked the options.Been using it for three years now, maybe four, hasn't let me down...yet lol!

18. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    I only started using Norton, or any AV, in 1999. There was no time for me when it sucked. Also, their defrag tool at that time was hands down the best and fastest one. Norton Utilities was great but they ruined it later on. I started with just the AV and in 2004 or so, went to NIS. I had no issues with versions 5 and 6 but the really breakthrough version was 7. Every one since then has been fantastic but as I said, I was having financial problems in the late 2000's and decided that one of the things that could go was a paid AV and Security product. I switched to Comodo at that time and liked it but eventually got tired of all the alerts for perfectly safe things so moved on to Avast which I used for a while until it got too bloated for my tastes.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The thing about Norton that it sucks at detecting or finding any Viruses that would junk up a PC. I have worked on PCs that had a modern version of Norton installed and it is huge pile of junk.

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I'm not seeing that at all on Win7.