Radeon RX Vega for consumers might still be out a couple of months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2017.

1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Here's some food for thought: Everyone here is assuming it was HBM/2 that brought on Vega delays. Perhaps Vega simply either wasn't ready itself (ignoring the HBM issue) or was having relatively poor yields. AMD spent a lot of money in the last quarter building up inventory, and everyone just assumes its for Ryzen rather than perhaps for Vega as well.

Could have something to do with its release for the professional crowd first (against AMD tradition).

Keep in mind the Nvidia Quadro GP100 with 16GB HBM2 has been already building inventory before its February 2017 announcement and was hard launched in March 2017. Haven't heard about any shortages in regards to it due to HBM2.

2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Why is it that AMD always seem to make the dumbest decisions?

3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Vega is not delayed

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    FYI Here is the exact quote:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Qz6Mlo7wHn

Vega market segments include Raven Ridge - which we know isn't launching until mid Q3ish. So that statement could be in reference to their APUs.

I'm guessing first month of July for RX Vega launch.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  6. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    week? :D

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If this holds true AMD once again let their own fans wait. And there I thought that AMD would step it up and attack the 1080Ti with a near Vega launch at great prices... doesn't sound like it. Waiting until July or eventually August is just another step closer to Volta's release.

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    debunked dammit, read the topic

9. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    [​IMG]

here is the written part

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah lol

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm a firm believer that AMD need balls (not specifically a male CEO) but someone with authority and the ability to convince us to trust and buy their products.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nothing has been debunked as of yet as it's still quite a vague answer.

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    yeah , the reddit post on which this topic was made was in fact a misunderstanding because the poster though that gaming vega is coming two months after FE...

p.s not even wccftech ran with this FYI..

14. rsouzadk

rsouzadk Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    By the time we get Vega Volta probably will be out too.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    How did she screw up? They had 29% more GPU sales year over year with a cheap GPU they can produce en-masse and which also is the basis of one of the more important custom parts they sell (the PS4Pro).

She's probably the most competent and respected CEO AMD has had since the days of Jerry Sanders.

I also don't believe that anyone read this properly. She's just referring to the next couple of months as the period of them launching both Epyc and Vega, with the mainstream parts being at the tail end of that period.

At the same time, people believe that NVIDIA will some how invent fabs and mass produce 600mm2+ GPUs in an exclusive for them process by the end of the year. :3eyes:

16. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I guess I'm the only one looking forward to Vega that doesn't "have" to have an unreleased product "right now" or else. If you want a 1080ti or xp just buy one.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Hallelujah.

18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    One More Week

Hopefully we get details in a week. I have a curiosity, it was confirmed they are using infinity fabric with Vega. I wonder if they have plans to do something similar to Ryzen instead of large monolithic cores? The whole CCX latency shouldn't matter with such high memory clocks on HBM2. If they pull that off with no crossfire to worry about, it will have been more than worth the wait.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    When Lisa took over as CEO AMD was trading at $3.22 after almost 5 years they are up to $11.04 (this news of Vega has turned down the uptick they were having).

In the same span of time Nvidia started at $13.30 and are now trading at $138.90.

Yep that's a "competent" CEO right there. Nvidia' growth has out paced AMD almost 4:1.

She has been at the helm during the most stagnant period in AMD's history.

Sure keep worshiping her in you makeship temple you likely have in your closet.

I just don't see how anyone would defend the "job" she has done.

Edit: You know from my history that I have been very critical of AMD management for a long time now.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That was Dirk Meyer, I would argue. And also the single reason that NVIDIA is getting that price value (which is by far not the most important metric in a company), is the current deep learning craze. What she's doing is trying to tap that for AMD. I don't know how you can believe that they could have created complex chips (even Polaris 10 surely took at least 3 years to design) that fast.

She's seriously doing just fine. She's presiding over AMD's recovery, if nothing else.