AMD Ryzen 14nm Wafer Yields Pass 80% - Threadripper CPUs on track

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2017.

1. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I wish AMD all the success in the world, so they can light a fire under intel and the race for intel mainstream higher core parts can get underway so I can buy a chip for a reasonable price that does not have terrible ipc or gaming performance like the benches I saw from the AMD offerings so far.

AMD offering 44pci lanes all the way down is a big deal though, we need a motherboard featureset war as well so this is good for everyone.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sounds like you need to take your own advice. You tell me I need to back up my claim with numbers and facts then go off make a claim and tell me I need to ask Ryzen owners to confirm it.

I'm done with you.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Right actually.

4. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Ryzen just keeps getting better. Me trés gusta.:puke2::wanker::infinity::infinity: :infinity: :banana:

By the time I come round to rebuilding a proper computer and retire this laptop to the workshop, I get the feeling it will be all AMD, and have shockingly more horsepower than my last 4790K intel rig...like when I jumped from a core2duo e4500 to an OC'd 3570K oven.

And most importantly, be a sensible price...Intel's cost per mm2 of cpu die has been f**king woeful.

Last edited: May 22, 2017

5. Coexist

Coexist Guest

GPU:
    NV 1080Ti
    Ryzen and Gaming

Yeh Ryzen sucks @ gaming. I'm really disappointed with my 180-200fps in DOOM @ 1440p ultra/nightmare settings using a 1080Ti to remove the GPU bottleneck.

In fact its so bad I spent an hour trying to figure out a way to limit the frames to 144 to reduce the noise of my gfx card.

wish I was still on my old 4 core 2500k :D

edit: just wanted to add that it was the affordability of the Ryzen 5 series and associated parts that enabled me to get a 1080ti in the first place.
    So they are a few frames slower in some games. And all the reviews seem to have the intel processors running at 4.8-5.0GHz, my friends 6700k wont go past 4.3 without constant blue screens no matter what the voltage is. Silicone lottery I guess but you get the point.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  6. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    True but new i5/7 Kaby Lake do 4.8Ghz with out any issue , i haven't heard of sample that wont do 4.8Ghz.

I really wonder what Intel plans to do with their architecture , as for now their performace/$ is poor compared to Ryzen. my 7600K must be overlocked to compete in games which use more than 4 cores. I dont regret my decision because i play at 1080p and wont change that 2-4 years.

Maybe Intel will launch 6/8 cores at decent price ?

7. Coexist

Coexist Guest

GPU:
    NV 1080Ti
    May it serve you well like my 2500k did me for 5-6 years :)

Now there is finally some good competition it should move the market along nicely and Intel will no doubt respond with some good products. Not that the current lineup is "bad". 7600K was on my shopping list for ages but I restrained myself with difficulty until Ryzen 5. For me part of the fun is moving to a new platform and tweaking etc.. its not all about getting an extra 5fps in games. I have to admit though have yet to see the processor go above 50% usage whilst gaming, old 2500k would sit at 100% in most games. Ryzen framerate is very stable.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Intel´s next move is to release a 6 core version on the successor of the Z270 to compete against Ryzen R5/7. Just don´t expect the prices to change too much... After all is Intel we are talking about...

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I'd like to see Mass Effect andromeda tests on Ryzen vs i5 , becasue its very demanding on CPU, my i5 sits on 70%+ all the time. With jumps to 100% when it stutters :D

10. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    To the one saying cross-CCX vs single CCX performance is significantly different, I call BS. My Gigabyte Gaming mobo allows for 1+1, 2+0, 4+0, 2+2 etc configs in the BIOS. Running multi-core drivers in MAME such as the Atari Seattle (3DFX games) I get ZERO framerate differences between a 2+2 or 4+0 configuration.

3DMark also shows no difference with either config. While there *may* be some apps that show a significant difference, I'm not aware of them. Point them out please, I'd love to know what they are...

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    He can't. He's just a troll here to bad mouth Ryzen.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Isn't the CCX configuration hardware? How is the bios able to go between 2+2 and 4+0? or am I missing something

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Well I think we should all kind of slow down with the arguing if you don't mind.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If you have a Ryzen 7 you can select to disable the whole CCX (4+0), or go in between configurations (3+3 etc).

15. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    TO put it bluntly; as long as people keep putting a few FPS above everything else, they are going to continue getting shafted hard in their wallets.

Ryzen is exactly what us gamers desperately needed.

Internet forums have resulted in a lot of utter nonsense over the years, rumours and 'common knowledge' that was actually just garbage, which tended to get amplified rapidly so you got people buying huge power supplys, or expensive motherboards, high speed RAM...and then recommending that conspicuous consumption crap to others, instead of intelligently aiming their cash at fps efficiency.

Wasting considerable percentages of their builds budget in dead weight - yet the "fps is king" attitude somehow managed to rise out of this nonsense, so now you have people going Intel, buying the overpriced Intel motherboards (because Intel double dip on you with their chipsets, you're so kind giving them all that money!), putting a much too large PSU to 'future proof' in it, a flashy case, an expensive cooler to get a negligibly higher overclock, too-fast SSDs, etc, when they could just cut the crap, get a 1080ti/Whatever AMD come up with, and just enough computer to milk the FPS out of it, if FPS was truly king. Youtube "budget build" guides don't help with their odious product placements and godawful performance ratios...

eh /rant

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This literally is the best post I've seen in a long time about PC gaming.

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You forgot the "gamer" brand on anything, which is almost the current equivalent for "Targeted to idiots".

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Or RGB.

MOAR RGB

I want RGB on my RGB, so I can change colors while I change colors.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Nothing wrong with RGB. Just because you want to be a stick in the mud over it doesn't mean it's not welcome to others.

20. Coexist

Coexist Guest

GPU:
    NV 1080Ti
    Rgbeeee

haha I agree with you although the first thing I do on anything RGB equipped is go in and change it to a constant colour. I do like the constant colour lighting however.

The bit that annoys me about it is how its marketed. RGB becomes the focus. My motherboard for instance has more bumf about the RGB features than the ACTUAL features. lol :)

edit: also everyone knows RGB means more FPS!!!!
    Its the same as cars, I have a sticker worth at least 5bhp