PSU Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Swindlehurst, May 16, 2017.

1. Swindlehurst

Swindlehurst Guest

GPU:
    Msi 1080
    I have a EVGA Supernova 850 B2 and i think its the worst part of my comp its just too damn noisey gonna ebay that sukka and need some recommendations I would like it to be whisper quiet and around the 850 mark

2. Michalko

Michalko Guest

GPU:
    a good one
    Corsair RM850x.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This. Corsair's RM PSUs seem to be pretty decent, I've built three rigs with them over the last half year and haven't heard any complaints.

4. penguin1

penguin1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 670GTX
    I like my PSU, simple, runs quiet, stable.

oh and cheap!

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yeah my G2 is silent. I can't hear it at all.

7. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    I like the v series from cooler master and the rmi series from corsair.
    Fan only start when needed, and that is very seldom.

8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Corsair HX850i

9. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    over-rated PSU.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have a Corsair RM850i and it´s a great PSU. Silent and modular although a bit pricey. But i must warn i only have this PSU because Corsair replaced my previous one because it developed a very bad whine coil issue...

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    EVGA Supernova G2 with the ECO mode is silent.

12. I've had Enermax PSUs for a long time. Mostly from the era when Enermax was really the best choice. My last Enermax PSU was Modu82+, which was 7+ years old now, and was still going strong. Great PSU really.

Recently I bought EVGA P2, which had great reviews and price was very decent for the performance. I also had the chance to get Seasonic Prime 750W. Both PSUs have great build quality. Both come with 10y warranty.

In the end I decided to keep the EVGA, here is why:

I need to keep the fan running on the PSU, because it's the only fan not cooling water blocks, pushing out the heat of the case.

The normal humming noise coming from fans was the same for both SS and EVGA. Seasonic fan seemed to be more expensive, better quality(FDB), but there was also some kind of electronic clicking noise coming from it. Yes it was very light and most ppl wouldn't even notice it. EVGA's fan on the other hand had different sound, less disturbing for me. And since it ran very cool even on maximum load from my PC, it never increased its speed -> less disturbing again.

Current stability was almost the same. For my use case, I didn't spot any real differences. Only 12V seemed more stable on Seasonic, EVGA dropped from 12.09V to 12.0V during full load. 5V and 3.3V were rock stable on both PSUs. Absolutely no shift at all?!?

Price. Both PSUs provided the same performance for my use case. I prefered the sound coming from EVGA's fan. Considering all this, EVGA was also substantialy cheaper. I believe the Seasonic Prime is better PSU overlall, it felt like better build quality, but for almost 2x the price? Not really. So I kept the EVGA, which I got for 130 Euro including VAT and shipping.

PS1...
    Both PSUs had very slight high pitch coil whine when in stand by, audible in night in complete silence when you put ear at the PSU. Not audible from 1m+. My old Enermax was really dead silent in stand by, even now after 7 years, absolutely no whine.

PS2...
    If anyone is interested, coil whine coming from GPU when under high load was almost the same on all 3 PSUs. I'd say with the Enermax, GPU was the loudest. Seasonic in between and EVGA was the best, but the differences were minimal. Hardly noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Care to elaborate. Jonny Guru had the HXi PSU's as one of its highest rated power supplies.

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    +1....JonnyGURU knows their stuff.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    B2 models are good.

Super Flower Golden green platform.
    B2 is underrated and actually has silver efficiency.

OP might have gotten a bad fan
    Personally i would just replace it with another 120mm if it's that annoying instead of wasting money on a new one..