Internet speeds stuck at 120Mbps/13.7MBps

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by BuildeR2, May 17, 2017.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I'm heading to bed but wanted to leave this here, so short on details for now. I recently got Google Fiber 1Gbit and not a single computer or application is able to go past the exact amount in the thread title. 5 different speedtest sites all come back with 900+ up and down. Yet Steam, Uplay, Origin, MS catalog, nVidia driver downloads, GOG Galaxy and many others shoot right up to 120Mbps/13.7MBps and sit there until the download or upload is done. Wildlands took forever to download and never budged from 13.7 in over an hour! I've put off downloading DOOM 2016 until I've figured this out.

I've tried messing with my NIC settings but there are a few dozen to change, so I might need some guidance in that area. Here is a recent screenshot to show exactly what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

I know the name says NIC #2 and adapter says Ethernet 4, but this is the only network device in my entire system. I've removed and installed the device multiple times and it always names them like that. I can upload more photos or provide any information needed. I'm also looking at this tweak guide (https://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-8-2012-server-tcpip-tweaks-5077) as a possibility if no other options seems to help. I really hope we can get this figured out as I'd really like to use the internet I'm paying for! Thanks in advance, Guru's!

2. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    I am on 1Gbit fibre too, (not google)

Can you post your router/modem setup too? make sure QoS is not on.

did you use the tcpip optimiser from speedguide.net?

what CAT Ethernet cable do you have? you need at least 5e for gb, 6 is just extras shielding from interference.

Also check that your not coiling your ethernet cable or its not near electrical sockets etc...

make sure the connection speed is set to Auto = full duplex 1GB if its not 1gb full duplex then then set it manually in negotiate connection speed settings.

Also check steam is connecting to your local server not some random one.
    i get 80-90MB/s on steam downloads and dont have any problems. its downloaded in seconds.

My gut feeling is that QoS is on in your router modem settings.if you are using some traffic prioritising software like (Asus - Game first).. ditch it if you are.

Good luck

Deckard

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

If speedtest show 900+ but other thing dont like steam other stuff talking about tells me those server are limiting your speed

just cause your provisioned for 1gbit dont mean all server you connect to can and will give you your max speeds

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Steam and Origin definitely can handle faster than what he's getting. My downloads from Steam average 30-35MB/s

Could be something simple like the above poster said. Check you have the right cables and if you are plugged into a switch make sure its Gigabit capable.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    his cables arnt the issue if speedtest say 900+mbit but those servers stop at 120mbit. if it was his cables the issue the speedtest would stop at 120mbit too

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    My friend one street over has AT&T Gigapower and gets much faster downloads than I do. I'll have to post router settings later as it is attached to my roommates Google account.

I haven't used the tcpip optimizer, honestly hadn't even heard of it until now.

So far I've used 2 different CAT6 cables, 2 different CAT5E cables and 2 different CAT5 Patch cables. Exact same behavior with all 6 of them. Only one of those 6 cables has ever been coiled and the closest one got to an outlet was about 4 feet away. I've tried all of these cables in the router directly and then into my Gigabit switch that some of out other devices run off of. No noticeable difference since they both stop at 120Mbps/13.7MBps.

As for the duplex stuff, it is definitely connecting at 1Gbit since all of my network transfers both ways go at ~100MBps.

I've tried all the Steam servers in Texas so far and all of them do the same 120Mbps/13.7MBps thing. I don't have any software in the background other than MSIAB. None of my programs use their built in speed caps either.

I'll have to check QoS in the router later. It is so strange to me that speedtests work fine, network transfers work fine and even my X1 gets 600-800Mbps in its internet speed test!

I understand that not every site or service would allow me a full gigabit, but for every single site and program to stop at the exact same speed leads me to believe there is an issue somewhere. I sure hope we can figure it out, because my previous TWC 100/10 internet plan could download at ~15Mbps on a good day!

Yeah, my buddy who loves close by gets 60-70MB/s in Steam with an older computer than mine and an older, slower SSD. Something, maybe OS level or router level, is keeping normal everyday programs from exceeding this artificial cap of sorts. You can read above about what I've done with cables and my switch, but I've also gone so far as to unplug all other devices in the entire house and have just my desktop in the first LAN port of the router. Same exact behavior.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Easy test, download multiple files simultaneously to max out the connection with HTTP

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Okay, I hope I understand what you are saying. I just downloaded 1GB+ files on 3 different computers (bedroom, living room, kitchen) at the same time. They are all wired (CAT5E to switch, CAT5E to switch, CAT6 to router) and they all shoot right up to 13.7MBps and sit there until the download is done.

2 of the 3 machines are on SSD's and task manager shows about 5% usage, so that shouldn't be an issue. 3rd machine is on a 1TB WD Black and shows about 10% usage. Also, we are all on different browsers (Edge, FF, Chrome) so that leads me to believe that it isn't a browser issue. Here is another screenshot from about an hour ago when a Wildlands update came through. Uplay has no cap on speeds.

[​IMG]

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    are you sure you dont have steam/uplay and any other game platforums you may use set to limit the bandwidth it uses.

It not cable issue it either your HDD it limiting you which i highly doubt, server you connecting to are limiting you, or you have something on system limiting those places on your system.

It not your router cause if it was router limiting you, you would never seeing 900mbit in first place, less you have these machines show this issue, running threw VPN threw the router, which dont think you do cause you again would never see that 900mbit on speed tests.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    100% sure. I just checked Steam and Uplay. Neither of them are capped, or even have a cap that would always result in *exactly* 13.7MBps on every download. This is why I think it is a router/NIC/OS setting somewhere.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I out ideas are any of them connected to router directly? or all them going from router to switch to switch to system?

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did you ever check if QoS was enabled?

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I've tried 4 different computers (3 of mine, 1 of my friends desktop) in my router and switch and they all exhibit the exact same behavior.

My roommate isn't home yet, so can't get into the router yet. That is my next step, then we can move on to trying other things.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    IF QOS was reason limiting it would limiting on all connections, unless the router can do QOS and Bandwidth limiting at same time. Mine *AC66U* can not not sure about other routers.

IF the router bandwidth limiting specific systems then that can be reason why. All my Wired devices have unrestricted speeds, all wifi is redistricted to 10mbit

IS the 900mbit speedtest shown on same system show those specific speed caps steam/uplay??, cause last i check bandwidth limiting will pick and choose what to limit on system, as it limits all activate on said system limited.

I still think something out side our network is limiting you.

Sort of you using VPN on the systems them selves or proxy, cause all that can also limit speed too, but if you have 900mbit speedtest on same systems show those specificly speed limits there probably isnt vpn either

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yep. It was on. I turned it off, reset the router along with all devices. Same behavior. Spent 2 hours with a Google Fiber tech, and they are stumped. I asked if I could just plug in my TP-Link AC1900 and apparently that isn't supported.

Yes, the speedtest results were from the same computer that has every other internet related thing capped at 13.7MBps. All 3 of my computers and my friends laptop are the same way. I can actually start a download in Firefox, it shoots up to 13.7MBps and won't budge, start downloading a game in Uplay, it shoots up to 13.7MBps and won't budge, open a new tab and start a speedtest that shoots up to 900+ both up and down.

For some reason, speedtests are the ONLY thing going above 13.7MBps under any and all circumstances so far. No VPN's or anything going on. Super simple setup for troubleshooting. Wall jack -> Google Fiber box -> CAT5E to my desktop. I've tried everything I can possible think of. I'm just going to exchange my router at the local store in the next day or so to see if that does anything.

16. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Something is clearly capping you,
    What happens when you download from 2 sources at the same time ?

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Interestingly enough, they fight over the 13.7MBps until one of them finishes.

[​IMG]

This is so weird and annoying, I've never seen anything like it in my many years and many computers. It's like somewhere between my wall jack and my PC something (router, OS?) is tagging data or capping data for some reason.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Is it possible that speedtests use something other than http?

Maybe HTTP vs HTTPS or p2p etc?

What about torrents, what speed do you get from them?

FTP transfers? Try downloading Ubuntu from one of the FTP 1gpbs links here
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+cdmirrors

Might need to set a few going from different servers as I can't find one that maxes my 76meg connection on it's own

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If there speed limit per port on router, it's worth checking it.

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I got anywhere from 30MBps to 45MBps before the file finished downloading. I'm starting to think that Google is maybe shaping data or throttling based on the data type or connection type. I have no idea how this download is not affected by my "120Mbps" issue, yet Uplay/Steam/MS download all fight over that 13.7MBps slice! Agh! I've already screwed so much stuff up messing in the registry that I'm going to have to restore my most recent backup tomorrow.

I checked every single page of the router and didn't see anything like that. The Google Fiber network box/router has much simpler and fewer options that I had expected.