AMD Zen Enterprise Roadmap Shows 48-core CPUs in 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    At this rate, software better get with the times with multi-threading support

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    since ppl dont have to pay 1000$ for a 8 corre anymore, it will.

i' ve seen it with tv stuff,
    b/w was standard for 40y, before color.
    vcr was out for around 30y before the dvd replaced it.
    not even 10y and we have the BD...

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD is apparently very happy with Ryzen. Otherwise they would not plan 48-core chip already.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Nah, it doesn't take only a month or two to come up with a new CPU. The next generation is already being developed before the current one has even hit the store shelves. Although this time it's not just the CPU itself, also the 7nm process technology needs to work.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Isn´t this chip for servers where the software is already multi threaded and can use all the cores throw at them???

Because for normal users a 48 core cpu is a gigantic waste.

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    7nm for next year? I'll hold on my upgrade then!
    Oh boy, can't wait!

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    None of us know, how well will 7nm Chips clock. They may end up to be as strong in performance per thread even at lower clock. And have lower power consumption. But in total, they may not be upgrade in performance.

I am still waiting for properly working 3200MHz memories. And so, if current Ryzen takes too long, I may wait for next iteration. But 7nm is of no importance to me.

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If you have agood look thru the slides, it seems like the 7nm change is mostly for TDP purposes.
    Current Zen won't drop below 15W TDP.
    7nm is to drop to 4W.
    I think i saw APU's drop to 35W max (4c/8t), instead of 65W for current 14nm.
    looks good for future mobile chips.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  10. 4UJER84URF84

4UJER84URF84 Guest

GPU:
    4gb amd r9290
    Starship cpu at 48 cores amazing, I got 4 cores and does me fine this has to be for servers business centres, Hate to think how much these are gonna cost, I always space my systems out to 5 years then I upgrade at a reasonable price.
    No game needs 48 cpu's or 96 at two way maybe bitcoin mining or very complicated algorhytms and stuff.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Currently, yes it is a gigantic waste. But only, ONLY because software does not use multi-threads the way it should.

As to a 48 core being for server chips, as i read it, yes, but the fact of the matter is AMD HEDT system is almost guaranteed to be cheaper then Intels 8-core CPUs (at least the 12-core will be) and whose to say what will happen in 2018-2019. If Intel kicks theirselves into gear and decides to lower the cost and increase the core count of their CPUs due to AMD, we all win, and software makers won't feel multi-core optimizations are lost of the majority.

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I wonder if this means each CCX will move from 4 to 6 cores in 2018? The new version of the Ryzen 1800x would be a 12 core part?

Embra likes this.
  13. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    more than just servers use it. I got the 8-core amd bulldozer years and years ago and it was the best investment ever. animators need all the number crunching they can possibly get, and more (there is no limit to imagination. and we only get so much polygons/shadows/reflections/refractions/caustics/GI to work with). it brought my fluid dynamics simulations down from weeks to ... day. multithreading is taking off, where multi gpu is dying--just as I suspected. I ditched multi-gpu forever after it almost made me fail my animation classes with BSoDs.

but yes, not for the average user--until new security protocols and OS level operations and gaming demands it, software support, and prices come down. just like every other pc in history. it already is getting better :) new APIs like directx12 and vulkan actually utilize all cp cores. so it--will be--used for gaming and everything. would be nice if they came up with some kind of wrapper for older stuff, though--but usually in that case 1 newer core is enough anyway.

anywhoo. I know when i'm buying my new PC!!! (2019. after the software updates that make it work correctly, and prices come down). but yeah... amd should "leak" more often. I am like already saving up. 48 cores in 2018 daaaayumn it's the future. Zen 2 Starship here I come :cyclone:

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Seeing that the roadmap puts 4-8 core Zen around 15-65W, and 32 core Zen was supposed to be out in H2 2016...

can we conclude that it's outdated?

15. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    It is. February 2016. Everything went down half a year at least. 14 nm Raven Ridge for notebooks is now planned for 2018...

Last edited: May 13, 2017

16. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    EDIT: Redacted- I misinterpreted your statement.

Yes the roadmap slide is outdated, but roadmaps are always subject to change

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  17. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Proof of Zens scalability. it's on FAHR!!! Lower core count? "ain't nobody got time for that"

18. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB

That is a best case scenario-- I wouldn't hold my breath on that-- its almost entirely dependent on whether Global Foundries and perhaps TSMC have a working, viable 7nm process that is reliable at that point. I'd say the chances of that are probably less than 50%. A lot of things have to go right in a short amount of time to get chips ON THE MARKET in 2018.

Remember Vega? It has long been supposed to be on the market based on original product maps and we still have nothing.

Even Intel have expressed a lot of concern about lithography at 7nm and below. They cited strange physics issues that begin to arise with silicon transistors around 7nm and below.

19. Timoo

Timoo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R6850 Cyclone
    Why?
    16 cores = 4 CCX
    32 cores = 8 CCX
    48 cores = 12 CCX
    -> 64 cores = 16 CCX

Why should they change their CCX layout?

It seems perfectly reasonalbe to me that the consumer-grade top-notch CPU remains 2 CCX, whereas the starter for Professional workstations could take 4 CCX. Starting in priceline with something like 8 or 12 cores (4CCX with full bandwidth and disabled cores).

I don't see why they should change to a CCX of 6 cores.

20. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    About GF's 7nm process, from the GF website...

TLDR; Read the last sentence-- sounds like it may actually be on track, but keep in mind the above quote is from Sept 2016.