AMD Raven Ridge APU Spotted - 4 ZEN CPU Cores and 704 Shader Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    These could be very cool, but I wonder what impact the high memory latency will have on the GPU performance.

3. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I want one of these puppies in my next tiny computer. My current one (a very underpowered Zotac AD04) just died, so my impatience for Raven Ridge has grown exponentially.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So no desktop APUs with Zen till 2018?

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm curious for what those APUs would sell.

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    My best guess would be $150-$180 for top-end Apu,Hell there is a market for them regardless how small it may be.1024 shader Apu schould be able to handle most games on(medium) 1080p Very interesting buy indeed.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    As far as I know, the work GPUs do is more insensitive to latency than CPU's work. Bandwidth is a different thing since GPUs need an access to huge textures. Not that an APU would have a big bandwidth at their disposal either, unless there's some extra memory integrated. But nobody expects miracles from iGPUs anyway.

8. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    This will make for a extremely good HTPC and a very capable 720P gaming pc. Just make sure you put a nice fast ram kit in this pc. Hopefully by the time this launch, AMD has sorted most of the memory compatibility issues.

9. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    AMD's APU's have always been underestimated because people don't fully grasp the concept. I have a reeeeally tiny PC hooked up to my 46inch tv running an A8 APU and some speedy RAM and I can play almost everything pre-2015 at full detail 1080p on my tv.
    In combination with the SSD there is (almost) nothing more powerful and versatile with the overall size taken into account.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Hell I was able to play (Most) games at 1080p on our old 7870k Godvari A10 granted not at max settings but Medium was almost always doable.This new Apu will more then likely be much faster so I would guess 1080p no problem.

I am interested for sure! Keep up the good work Amd.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The top-end APU would definitely be more expensive than that. The Ryzen 5 1400 would have roughly the same CPU performance as these APUs, and that is $170. Traditionally, the IGP uses a lot more transistors than the CPU, so being only $10 more expensive than a 1400 sounds very disproportionate to me.

I'm thinking the most high-end APU is going to cost $250-$275. It would definitely be interesting to see a mid-range gaming system in a single chip.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  12. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    So basically a better version of intel's current "midrage" CPUs...

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If the leaked benches are true, this would put it at about a 270 range.

14. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    would that top end APU with 1072 shaders work well for a steam box?

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm sure it'd make for a very solid 1080p gaming rig. You might not consistently get 60FPS at maxed out everything but lower stuff like AA and it'd probably hold up nicely.

An IGP like a RX 550 or 560 would make for a VERY good hybrid crossfire setup. You could get some serious performance for a low price and in a small form factor.

16. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    probs be ok although if your wanting an decent steam box gaming experience Nvidia is the way forward.

steam OS seems to be built for Nvidia GFX rather than AMD although you can use AMD cards you might be better off using in an Windows based gaming system.

built a few steam boxes and always run best with Nvidia, AMD gfx cards work with steam OS but no where near as good as Nvidia from my experiances.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I mostly agree with this statement, but it is important to note that within the past half year or so, AMD has made tremendous progress in Linux and is continuing to improve at a consistent rate. They're hiring more devs, so things should get done even quicker. They're still playing "catch-up" since they invested in the drivers so late. I predict they'll be almost (but not quite) 100% up-to-spec by late 2018.

Nvidia as of right now is undoubtedly the better choice for SteamOS/Linux gaming, but it wouldn't surprise me if by the time the new AM4 APUs are released, AMD will be an equally good choice, as long as you don't expect things like FreeSync, multi-GPU support, or 120Hz+ monitors.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    well, if the new APUs are getting out, i'm all ears.I need to upgrade my HTPC ASAP.C'mon AMD, show us the goods!

19. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    last SteamOS system i built using AMD gfx was around 6-8 months ago last Nvidia SteamOS system i built was about 6 weeks ago.

would be very nice to have an APU base SteamOS system to keep over all system size down so will be interesting, i probs be up for the new apu although i will wait for around 3 - 4 months after they been reviewed.

not interested in high end PC stuff anymore so apu's are getting very nice option.

20. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    looking forward to playing with some of these APU's my brother is still gaming on a10 5800k with igpu oc to 1013mhz with some 2133mhz ram the system is still very capable today. I expect there to be a huge improvement simply going to ddr4 as bandwidth was the limiting factor for these APU's the 5800k scaled well all the way up to 2600mhz despite the timings being super loose.