Nvidia Shows and Demos Testla Volta V100 has 5120 Shader processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 10, 2017.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Holy crap it really is 815mm2. And TSMC has made 12FFN exclusivly for Nvidia.

According to JHH: It's at the reticle limit. You cant make a bigger die. Getting one working die per 12'' wafer is - unlikely

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Why the switch between "modes" then? If it's always better, why not just leave it on?

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It's new in the sense that Geforce will be based off this. It gives people an idea of what to expect. I still think it's complete overkill. Gaming has not been nearly as demanding as the hardware that has been available on PC for quite sometime.

I understand the 4K kick. People want to push that. But I'm more interested in true details, not playing console ports at a higher resolution, which has been the case for about 10 years now.

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

• You post this list say you don't think they changed anything deep architecture wise but think it won't clock as good as Pascal. Could you elaborate on this thought or are you just hoping this is true to give AMD a chance to make up some ground with Navi?

5. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    AND it will cost $1000 and they can suck my ass!

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    [​IMG]

With this nothing else needs be posted. All posts here after will pale in comparison to the vast knowledge bestowed upon us by {LOD}PITBULL.

/sarcasm

7. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I wonder if Nvidia will end up being the company that masters AI & then end up being the company like in the terminator movie! LOL

you Nvidia fan boi's all be funding the end of humanity LOL

i'd personally rather it was AMD lol

lot of lol's their i must be having a good day :D

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Exactly why I'm debating just going consoles. I said I'd go strictly consoles when this current gen hit, but I went and hyped out and grabbed a 1070. I regret it. I never use it. If I'm not playing PS4 Pro, I'm rarely using my PC for gaming. Gears of War 4 back in October was the last thing I played consistently.

9. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Not even close. Deep learning is like 1/9th of the puzzle.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What do you mean? It is always on?

The mode switch seems to be for power throttling removal. Pascal and probably Volta are like Polaris that when you clock them outside their "sweet range" the power consumption goes up but the performance doesn't scale linearly with it. Toggling the mode probably just configures it for the optimal performance/power and toggling it to maximum completely removes the throttling and it goes up to 300w.

The 50% efficiency seems to be intrinsic to the architecture. At least according to everything I read. Probably comes from 12nm, the L2 changes, scheduler changes etc.

Edit: Also all the demos they showed off today we're running on Volta according to Anandtech and they confirmed DXG-1 deliveries with Volta Q3 this year.

Last edited: May 10, 2017

11. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    Yep that's right. I agree with you ;)

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This coupled with the GDDR6 news, could we see a late Q4 GTX Volta? Also will the GDDR5 memory controller be backwards compatible with GDDR5/x?

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    crazy stuff, never thought 815mm^2 was even possible much less being mass produced on a new process node(regardless of the cost). I do wonder if this is exclusively an accelerator(HPC deeplearning ect), if it continues to include video hardware on board and if we will see a workstation variant like the gp100.

Can only hope amd is sand bagging like they did with ryzen and has something up their sleeves, amds HPC flagship is still hawaii and its really far behind in terms of power efficiency at this point

14. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I had that feeling quite a while back, so sold my gaming PC.

decided to keep gaming to console with my PS4 pro and 4K hdr tv

got an old PC and laptop for any PC related things I want to do and just use my PS4 pro for gaming, and if im 100% honest i dont miss my high end PC one bit, which even now still surprises me, i was quite hard core PC until the PS4 Pro came out, plenty for my gaming needs and cheap cheap gaming when buying second hand games.

PC CPU and GPU prices just not worth it to me these days. been a PC gamer since 1997 - 1998 ish and i hate to think how much money i threw into upgrading since then...

it just wasnt fun for the cost anymore period.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Why not both? Have one green and one red Terminator type, so that the last survivors can rage kill each other over which Terminator is best instead of saving humanity? :eyebrows:

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    At this point anything is possible. I was definitely not expecting those specs for Volta, the TPUs, the die size or it shipping Q3 this year. I knew Nvidia had a contract to supply Volta by 2017 with Oak Ridge/US Government, but the super computer its going into had a delay in testing/operations till early 2018 -- but clearly Nvidia isn't the reason for that delay and I guess it makes sense that the chip would have to be done before 2018 for them to start it up in 2018 lol.

So yeah, I guess it could be possible to see a consumer based Volta chip late 2017. As for the controller I have no idea - if GDDR6 is decent supply, I don't see why they wouldn't just ship it across the entire range of geforce cards.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The answer to that is Nvidia. There was no reason (to my knowledge) that the 1070 had standard GDDR5 and 1080 had GDDR5x.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Dude, didn't you ever notice the "eye" in the logo?

Sheesh. :nerd:

It's obvious...we are near the end.

19. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one

just because of the prices and what you get for your money.

At my age I just can no longer justify the cost of an high-mid range PC, even more so with the way consoles have come along.

it's all about value for me these days, probs an age thing though :D

i'd rather be terminated cheaply i guess lol

i sometimes wonder if it's kind of like having an mid life crisis for the older PC upgrader PMSL

you know instead of buying a sports car they buy an 1080Ti, suppose it's cheaper than the sports car though lol

i think my mid life crisis was buying an 2008 lancer 2.0 turbo oh and my PC mid life crisis was buying two power colour 290X's (leaf blower type because thats all i could get at the time due no 3rd part coolers were about at that time) cost i think for the two cards was £840 or £880 because of the feckn crypto miners demand which was what i used them for to start with oh and another £140 for the PSU to power them

but it was an sensible mid life crisi (apart from buying the two 290x leaf blowers that is) choice because it was the 2.0l turbo GS4 saloon diesel not an evo, still fecken nice looking and people look and think its an evo lol

nice looks fraction the price lol nwonder im an AMD type of guy :D ie value for money...

20. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    He was trying to point out that you are totally off. There are two reasons for that:
    This is not a graphics card.
    It will cost way more than $1000.