First Core i7 8650U processor Says Hi In GFXBench Benchmark

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Isn't the Coffee Lakes the Kaby Lake refresh? By reading the last sentences seems there will be 3 CPU lines with Kaby Lake refresh being something different than Coffee Lake all launching this year. I'm confused.

3. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    I dont know should i be amaze or sad.Its 3rd Gen cpu (From 6k to 8k) with in a year.I got 6700k 7-8 months ago.Indeed technology changes a lot.

4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    This is a mobile cpu not desktop. The cannonlake is 10nm and is going to be released 2nd h of 2017. Intel claims it will be 15% more powerful than the 7th generation.

Last edited: May 6, 2017

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They claim that every time, while making the "successor" CPU 14% faster Mhz.

6. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    I'm waiting for Cannonlake, if it's just 15% better than 7th gen with 8 cores, i'll probably just buy a Ryzen 7 since they will go down on price by then and i bet Intel will overprice their CPUs like always. <_<

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Kaby was more like 5% faster than Skylake.

8. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I agree; confusing. There won't be a Kaby Lake refresh in the sense the article states it. The 8 series is Coffee Lake, so the chip shown is exactly that. Hope that helps.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not for the same TDP, which is entirely what Kabylake's process improvement was focused on. Look at the new Kabylake Core-Ms - they clock to 3.6ghz with a 4.5w TDP. The previous generation m7-6Y75 only went to 3.1 at the same TDP.

The process may not make that much of a difference on 90w processors but at 5-15w it's a pretty significant improvement.

10. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Personally I am waiting for a 6C/12T Coffee Lake i7 with 7700K speeds but will only purchase it depending on these three equally important factors: specifications, price, compatibility with Z170. If one or more of these factors are not my liking I won't bother at all or keep an eye on Skylake-X (if affordable for once)... Although I heard Coffee Lake-X is where it's at :p kidding

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This is my point.

Not saying kaby lake was 0% faster clock for clock, but every single time Intel has made claims (in the last few years) of a new family being faster, they base "faster" on it being clocked higher, rather then really any real performance increase clock for clock.

I mean, i get it, if you could last year get a processor for $300 at 3.4Ghz, and they claim that this year you can get a processor at $300 that is 15% faster, and the only thing that has changed is the newly released processor is now 3.9Ghz, that's not a "wrong" statement. I'm just getting tired of them continually claiming faster architectures when in reality its faster clocks that 99% of the time was capable on the previous architecture no problem.

Which is important, i agree, but that doesn't make a processor faster like Intel continually claims, that makes it more efficient. Again, which is great, especially for portable devices, but doesn't mean it's faster.

You don't state a car that goes 50mpg with the 200 horsepower is 15% faster then a car that goes 44mpg with the same 200 horsepower, it's just more efficient.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Wait a bit further, CannonLake is still old stuff since SandyBridge era, next step is x86 refresh with IceLake Arch

[​IMG]

and by AMD around that time Zen+

I personally will wait until then ~ 2019-2020 and see what's up, this i7 Haswell is still more then enough :nerd:

13. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    That ice lake refresh will be very, very welcome (if it's good). We've been riding this same wave for so long now. Still, I can't wait that long to get back hyperthreading plus six cores.

14. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    Only thing gained by another Intel refresh(cerainly isnt a generation change) is money leaving your pocket and entering Intels. My I7-56960x at 4.6Ghz is going to last me many more years to come. What we need is programmers to optimize their software you better use all cores/threads available.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Skylake was released in 2015....

16. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    if most people like people in here which is waiting until there is "real" improvement on cpu
    then rather than buying upgrade, people just replacing failing rig parts

not sure how long mobo will last, it should can last 10years or within warranty period 2~3years if got bad luck... on average it last around 5~7years?

by then people replacing their mobo with cpu, as 5~7years since the time they bought their rig, most store no longer have mobo for the cpu in stock .... cheap way can buy second-hands ... but i think most people will just buy new mobo+cpu

possitive side is that we dont have to concern much about "good buying/upgrading time" ... because basically any cpu performance should be enough in its lifetime