CPU Usage Gaming

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by coc, May 6, 2017.

1. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    hey guys, i am running a i 7700 ( non k ) with Noctua U12S, 1070 GTX and 16GB based system
    on win 10.

iv installed MSI AB and HWmonitor and i can't figure out whats what...

if im looking at HWmonitor after an hour +- in the the Witcher 3 or ME Andromda i can see normal temps ( around 60C CPU, 65-70 GPU ). if im looking at the CPU ( from cpu 1 to cpu 8 ) they
    are all at 100% usage. the GPU max Usage is around 90%. this is what i see on HWMonitor
    right after exiting the game.

if im playing "live" with MSI AB i actually see lower numbers. im seeing avrage CPU usage
    around 40%, temps around 55-60C and GPU usage around 50-80%.

the main difference is the CPU usage ( lower on MSI AB while playing on real time ).
    i doubled checked - the CPU usage is various while playing real time -> changing
    from 30 to 60 %, while on HWmonitor the entire list ( cpu 1, cpu 2, cpu 3 ) are on
    100%.. maybe im not reading something right. the temperatures seems solid on both
    MSI AB and HWMonitor and there is a minor difference in that area.

why the difference ? btw i got 60 stable fps and everything works great.. im just curious.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Are you looking at max values, if so CPU will be 100% that is pretty normal during a game.

I would recommend you switch to HWinfo64, there you can set what you want to show up in AB OSD.

3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    You should not be getting that high of cpu usage playing games. One core at or near 100% maybe, but not all. Your overall cpu usage should be in the 25% cpu usage range for the overall cpu. I'd say there is something wrong with HWmonitor on your system.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It probably to some degree depends on the game and of course how many cores you have, but on quad core seeing very high cpu% in max values is pretty normal.
    Also your power plan, HP power plan will hit max clocks faster than balance, even though it would only be a spike, the max value would be high.

In Bf1 I have 100% across all cores in just few min time.
    That is why I recommended HWinfo64, you can set it to display current, avg, min , max etc.

Last edited: May 6, 2017

5. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    thanks for your replies.

i will install HWinfo i guess.

iv tested only 2 games. The Witcher 3 and ME: Andromeda.

with MSI AB as i said before CPU usage is around 30%-60%. the GPU
    usage is higher. im playing on max settings on 1080P. it seems fine to me,
    but HWmonitor shows different usage ( but its not on "real time" ) its only
    when im exiting the game and looking at the specs.

it also shows higher temps ( 4-6C higher ) than MSI AB.

6. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    high cpu usage in games is not normal. There are hardly any games out that use more than a couple of cores, and even then it's usually not 100% of those cores. Rainbow Six Siege is the only game I've seen that uses multiple cores well, with the cpu sitting around 40% usage, with that equal amount among all cores.

BF1 uses about 30-35%% on my i7 6850 and also on my old i7 930 with the majority of that on one core.

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You just don't follow me, I guess.
    If you have max values you will show very high usage, but the real usage (current) will be lower.
    I will use BF1 for example, for me (quad core/4 threads) max will show 100% but current will be really around 80%, If I ran same thing with i7 xxxx quad/8threads it probably be also very high max but the current would be around 50-60%. you have 6 core/12 thread so of course your current is lower, but I bet that is not max value.
    Same if you check CPU clock, it will always show max clock available, but current or avg will be much lower.
    Maybe BFx line is not avg game with regard to cpu usage as they use 4 cores to almost max, but point I was making is HWinfo is much better working with AB OSD and max values is poor choice of current usage, for most all data points, unless you truely want the max value it spiked to one time, maybe temps come up as good one for that.

Last edited: May 9, 2017