Rage - Part 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Feb 8, 2013.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Bit of a bump, but ive just started playing this, got it in a Steam sale ages ago, and im loving it so far, although not that far in, im down in the Wasted Garage, getting all the parts for the buggy, 'toss a nade at the ******!, 'ave some of this!' etc... :D

Done the config for the 16k textures, but not sure if its working, close up ones still look poor (which ive seen people say are still), but does seem to look fine in the distance etc...., and while playing, i don't seem to notice how poor the close up ones are. :p

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The texture quality will look low when viewed up close no matter what you do.
    The original raw texture data for RAGE was over 1TB before id compressed it down. Part of the trade off for the Mega-Texture tech being used.

It was simply ahead of it's time.
    A great idea, one massive, unique texture to cover the world instead of the same texture tiled multiple times. But, the memory requirements of it are pretty massive.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yup RAGE is an underappreciated game imo. It didn't get a lot of praise at release and kind of just slipped through the cracks.

Tbh I didn't get into it at first either but reinstalled it about two years ago and instantly liked it. Got all the DLC too.

Shooting is as good as you'd expect from an ID game and vehicle combat is solid too. Open world and lightweight item crafting fit in nicely and show ID can handle this type of game as well.

Hope they do something similar in the future. If not RAGE 2 then something in the same vein.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    They've said RAGE 2 isn't dead. It just isn't happening right now. The project was post-poned, but not canceled completely.

RAGE is a great game IMO. Nobody does player weight/movement like id. And the shooting and combat, such weight and force behind it. Again, no engine nails that heft and chunky feeling to gunplay like they do.

6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I personally love Rage as well.
    Still looks great for its age. Playing @ 3840x1600 with custom config.
    Would love a Vulkan update to the game. Ofcourse not gonna happen.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I personally dream of a RAGE 2 on idTech6. None of the texture streaming and stuttering issues of idTech5.

Glorious.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Made it through to Wellsprings, looks great :D

9. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    RAGE was great, except maybe some ending parts felt rushed and generic.
    Also it worked great for me AFTER installing hotfix drivers and changing something I dont quite remember what in ini file to fix streaming issues :)
    So out of the box it was like Ikea part you have to finish assembling yourself :)

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The ending, hell, the entire second wasteland was rushed.
    id originally had plans for a lot more areas and missions in the second wasteland. And, the ending was supposed to be longer.
    Going deeper into the Authority. But, Bethesda forced them to wrap up the game and get it out the door.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    It certainly feels like the ending was cut short. You're playing along, expecting to infiltrate the Authority and following a semi-difficult battle credits roll all of a sudden.

12. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Yep, loved the game but the end was pants.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Enjoyed it when came out, but see no replay value. One thing I recall is that textures looked bad throughout, but somehow overall look is OK, provided you dont look too close at things.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Would be lovely if it happened.

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just done that wacky gameshow for the DJs sponsorship, wtf! :D

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I really liked RAGE as well, although the textures left something to be desired, especially at launch and it was hard not to notice them due to the first-person close up perspective used.

While megatexturing was a clever idea on paper, I personally think that the game would have looked better had they used traditional textures instead. It's not like people spend hours checking every texture to see if they're the same as others they've seen anyway (or do they?); other open world games manage to look great with varied and detailed textures without the need for megatexturing.

17. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    the whole point of the megatexture was streaming it. reduced video memory costs etc.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well, I just loaded up RAGE for a quick go on in on my new GTX 1080 Ti and was shocked to see the framerate plummet to 15 fps (at maxed out 2560x1440 settings with 8x MSAA). I played those settings on previous cards at a flawless 60 fps so I don't know what happened there! :D

19. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Opengl seems to be a mess these days. I remember Opengl was better then directx.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  20. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Very low gpu load on pascal cards. I have same problem with rage. Before I play rage on gtx 780 in 4k+8xmsaa stable 60 fps and now with Gtx 1070 I have lags on 1440p and my gpu load is only 25_30% in rage. 16xmsaa help little but still is not smooth how before. :(

Last edited: May 6, 2017