AMD Radeon RX Vega Details Surface In Linux Patch - 4096 Shader procs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2017.

1. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Well its still pretty sad, that it takes them 1 year after the release of the 1080 just to match it as well.

2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    If it is really performing as dual rx580 its great it will be faster than 1080 and near/or equal 1080ti/titan xp. I can't find it wrong. U mad bro? :bang:

3. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    Reading a guy post that is saying "sli 570" make me feel bad for guru3d forums unless you are speaking of gtx 570 sli :3eyes:

4. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah my bad, corrected my statement.

5. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Stop making sense. You will derail the echo chamber in this thread.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    rx570 cf equals easily or surpasses 1070/1080gtx

rx580 cf equals easily or surpasses 1080ti/titan xp

let us see finally what Vega is capable of

it's either faster than 1080 or faster than 1080ti/titan xp

That's my opinion. End of speculations. I await official benchmarks.

7. baasgene

baasgene Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    Comparing AMD teraflops to Nvidia teraflops is idiotic. Rx480 has 5.8 tflops and the 1060 has 3.8 tflops yet they perform roughly the same. This has been the case for many years. AMD's 12.5 tflops is equal to 1080 performance if not a little less.

And if Fury is any indication then forget about overclocking.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    While I doubt that it'll be faster than a 1080 Ti, I sure hope that it'll at least be as fast as a 1080. Either way though, it's 1 year late to the party.

9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Of course it wont.
    We have seen it on level with 1080 so that would be a huge jump in performance.

Not entirely true.
    The tech is different: Nvidia uses different sized pipelines to what AMD uses on their GPU's. I think Nvidia uses smaller (that do less work each clock cycle) so it can clock higher, AMD uses bigger (that do more work each clock cycle).

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Let's calculate something. Considering the pure similarities at the specs and then by looking at guru3d reviews/benchmarks. Now then, if you double all the frames/scores of RX570. You have a card equal and/or faster and/or slower than TitanXP/1080ti. If Big Vega has the full strength of 2x570 at least, it's king. :)

BUT, If it equals rx570x2 it will trade blows with titanxp/1080ti as expected :3eyes:

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    1060 is 3.8tflops at stock clocks. At average boost clocks it's 4.4tflops and at maximum stock boost it's 4.8tflops (1911mhz). That's not to mention that the RX480 pulls away in most DX12 titles where it's "true efficiency" comes into play nor is it to mention that there are multiple architectural changes designed to improve utilization in Vega. So it should perform closer to it's theoretical tflop range.

Also most people here know what you posted anyway - they use tflops to assess general performance, not nail it to a specific spot.

12. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I cant say that I know what bottlenecks GCN, but as far as I can remember from looking in perf/watt while gaming (because older cards did not had power limiters like cards these days) everything bigger than pitcairn comes with decreased perf/watt. nV cards obviously does not have this issue nad you can clearly tell in which SM iteration card belongs just by looking at perf/watt.

I really hope they will improve GCN with vega even if Im not going to buy or recommend to anyone any AMD GPU in near future

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Where you're pullin this "deeper pipeline" for AMD from?
    The opposite looks to be true.

If anything its Nvidia's GPUs who are more clock efficient, and doing more work per flops, ie per (shader*clock).

And NV shaders certainly look "bigger" and doing more work in absolute terms:

RX480: 2304 shaders
    GTX: 1060 - 1280 shaders

14. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    Problem is whether Vega can actually reach the clocks needed to make it 2x570 actually and I highly doubt it they can without having ridiculous power consumption and heat.

It's not like they did some magic there - Vega is most likely build on basis of Polaris and Polaris is not your most eco-friendly solution when clocks are pushed as we see from 580.

I actually doubt it will be able to do anything more than 1300MHz on air with that monstrous die, if that.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Please watch this:

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    They did some changes that will improve their perf/w a lot. Same as nvidia did with their maxwell cards. It's a bigger change in their core design since hawaii?

17. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning

The Vega based MI25 is around 1525MHz, and that is a passively cooled professional card. (12.5TFLOPS=4096shaders*2*1525MHz)

The Asus 1080Ti is average ~60% faster than a Fury X according to Techpowerup.
    Fury X has 1050MHz clocks, a Vega AIB i think could be closer to 1600MHz based on the speed of the MI25, that's already 52% more clock speeds.
    Also as we seen with Polaris 480 the efficiency is improved. It keeps up with the R9-390X while has 512 less shaders, and half the ROPS. In theory this means that the bottlenecks which hampered the Fury X (it cannot make use of the lot of shaders)are resolved.

So in theory it can be on par with the 1080Ti without counting the changes above the Polaris chips. (primitive shaders, variable length pipeline, etc)

18. Mtom

Mtom Member

GPU:
    290X lightning
  19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

• AMD GPUs are doing more work per clock
    • Nvidias GPUs are doing more work per flops
    • Nvidia shaders are doing more work per clock

Are you really arguing against these very basic facts?

20. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
  21. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Speculating

Since we are speculating on speculations any chance these specs are not for the largest Vega? Depending on clocks these specs could land Vega anywhere from GTX 1080 to Titan XP. Here is to hopping they knock this out of the park as Nvidia has been as bad as Intel with HEDT pricing, this last generation of GTX10xx cards. :banana: