Microsoft will separate Edge browser updates from the Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Can it only be updated in the Windows store, or in addition to the regular Windows Update? Because I don't use the store and I can confidently say I never will. However, I do use Edge (considering how seldom I use Windows for anything other than gaming, Edge works just fine for me).

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Another tactic to force people to use their store?

Don't use Edge, but seems like another transparent trick IMO, don't see why they can update it faster via store than WU?

4. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Idiot-browser. Who needs it, anyway...

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is just a stripped down free version of Windows 10 for cheaper machines. Those $200 Windows 10 laptops really are only good for Windows store apps. You could always do what Kodi did and submit the app to the Windows store.

Just to note this does not affect anyone building their own machines or buying a machine with Home or Pro. This really does not affect a whole lot of people at all.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah my bad, missed the main EDU part lol

Yea just watching about it on the live stream atm

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Better late than never I guess.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I refuse to make a MS Account and use the Store... infact i have the store uninstalled.

I tried it once and it was pure garbage, also ended up having to login everytime i boot PC due to MS Account.

No thanks!

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You only need to log into the store with a MSA if you want to install a paid app, if they're free it will happily download / install with a local account

But yea, there's not really anything worth downloading in there

Also you can log into the store only, rather than the entire OS

And for future reference, if you run netplwiz from RUN, you can remove the need to enter a password every time you boot up, uncheck the box, enter your password in the two boxes and hit OK, next boot will log you in automatically

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I disagree. Really good apps that you would prefer vs a normal website or win32 apps aren't many, but there are few that are great.

Unstream for Twitch, Audiocloud for Soundcloud, the default Mail/Calendar are excellent, PerfectTube for Youtube, the Netflix app, ReddPlanet for Reddit, the Instagram/Messenger/Facebook apps, Groove Music is seriously good and lightweight, Grover Podcast, Lightreader for epubs, the Skype UWP app they are all better than their desktop equivalents.

They also all provide notifications that you can really tailor to your preferences, and more importantly, by using the app you're not carrying tracking cookies all around you when browsing.

11. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I always use my MS account and my computers are set to boot up without having to enter a password. It's easy to do if you know how. you just go to Run and type in netplwiz. You will then be presented with the options for automatic login.

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    They've been doing this since the start of Windows 10, mobile is a prime example. Detaching apps from the OS and moving them to the Store (such as Mail, etc.) allow for faster updates. Chrome etc. have been doing so for years so what's the issue?

I initially disagreed with the apps and games from the Store but now I have so many that I use all the time I can't live without it! Some desktop programs I use have been converted to a Windows Store app such as Crystal Disk Mark - now I never have to check for updates within that app again, it just flows from the Store.

Skype UWP and Groove Music are champs now - when they were previously glued to the OS they didn't stand a chance!

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Meanwhile, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, BSD, Haiku, etc are like "we've had this privilege for years..."
    I think even Windows Phone could do this before Windows desktop.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I can see this being used the same way them Windows 8/8.1 surface tablets that ran Windows 8/8.1 that used the Windows store for apps.

Also I can see how this benefits users who are used to the IOS and Android devices because they are used to this plus Linux and Mac users as well.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    As tired as I am of the hate Microsoft gets for simply being Microsoft...Edge really sucks. I've given it multiple chances. It's terrible. I guess it's nice the downloads will be separate and let you choose to not install?

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's interesting that they do this. I'm guessing that the major Edge updates will still be delivered more centrally, since Edge's rendering engine is the whole basis of UWP.

What do you dislike so intensely about it? It's basically like old-time Chrome. I use it because it feels fast and debloated.

17. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    And you still find people buying these kind of products.... . This comes in the time when Microsoft admits that their surface line of products is really suffering.

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    All of the modern "store" apps are basically the concept of the Linux/BSD "ports" attached into different operating systems. Microsoft is trying to apply some of the command line parts of it too, but it's still too cluttered (in traditional Microsoft fashion).

19. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    The Store isn't just there for apps or games. All my music/films/TV purchases sync across my phone/pc/surface/xbox. People need to see the Store in a different light...